Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Knicks match Fields, what is plan B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OJ Mayo is still in the bucket. I like Brandon Rush, same with Courtney Lee.

Personally, I doubt NY matches, but like I said, we could offer a little less to a guy like Mayo.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      I think it's early to be pursuing a guy like Gay, Iguodala, Granger. This team is still about 3 years away from being competitive (as in, competing for a 4th to 6th playoff spot), which means any of those guys will either be starting the downsides of their respective careers, or will have reached a peak in their career where we just can't afford them (Bargnani, DeRozan, Ross, JV will all be looking for extensions by then). I think in 3 years time, we should be looking for a player who is at Rudy Gay's level today.

Thoughts?
      Gay is only 26. He's still got plenty of years left playing at a high level.

Comment

I think it's early to be pursuing a guy like Gay, Iguodala, Granger. This team is still about 3 years away from being competitive (as in, competing for a 4th to 6th playoff spot), which means any of those guys will either be starting the downsides of their respective careers, or will have reached a peak in their career where we just can't afford them (Bargnani, DeRozan, Ross, JV will all be looking for extensions by then). I think in 3 years time, we should be looking for a player who is at Rudy Gay's level today.

Thoughts?
        Did you read the thread? Free agents only!

Granted, most things out of my fingers the last 6 months have been Gay-related but no trades in this thead.

Comment

Thoughts?
          I understand that line of thinking for Iggy or Granger, given their age. Gay will only be 27 next season, so he should have a solid 5 years left.

Also, depending what happens with Orlando (Howard) and Atlanta, the Raps could have a decent shot at making the playoffs next season with the revamped roster (Valanciunas, Lowry, Ross, Fields, Acy, healthy Bargnani), let alone after the addition of a top-tier starting SF.

Chicago (Rose), Orlando (Howard), Atlanta (Johnson/Williams), Philly (Brand/Iggy?) and Boston (Allen/older) all have big time questions heading into next season, leaving Miami & Indy as the surefire bets for the playoffs. NY and NJ will be competitive, but I would put Toronto into this top-10 discussion, ahead of the rest of the teams in the East. Depending what happens in Orlando, Atlanta and Philly, Toronto could be right in the thick of the playoff race next year, meaning the addition of a veteran starting SF would be extremely beneficial - not only for making the playoffs, but just showing the youngsters how to win.

A guy like Rush (3pt shooting) would help balance the starting lineup. I think a guy like Mayo would be a great 2nd/3rd option after Fields, either to start at SG or play the same '6th man scorer' role he did in Memphis (or possibly even some time at backup PG, since he mentioned he'd like to play some PG at the end of the season).
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 12, 2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't really answer the question. Here's some guys (or types of guys) I'd target:
            Thaddeus Young
            Michael Beasley (why not.. talent is there)
            Brandon Rush
            Wes Johnson
            Evan Turner

Basically they're guys that might be at a Rudy Gay-ish level in 2-3 years. If they happen to reach close to that, then we are a 4th seed type of team at that point and a perennial playoff team. If not, then we're still a middling 7/8 seed that will be looking to sign a SF free agent.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I understand that line of thinking for Iggy or Granger, given their age. Gay will only be 27 next season, so he should have a solid 5 years left.

Also, depending what happens with Orlando (Howard) and Atlanta, the Raps could have a decent shot at making the playoffs next season with the revamped roster (Valanciunas, Lowry, Ross, Fields, Acy, healthy Bargnani), let alone after the addition of a top-tier starting SF. Chicago (Rose), Orlando (Howard), Atlanta (Johnson/Williams), Philly (Brand/Iggy?) and Boston (Allen/older) all have bigtime questions heading into next season, leaving Miami & Indy as the surefire bets for the playoffs. NY and NJ will be competitive, but I would put Toronto into the this top-10 discussion, ahead of the rest of the teams in the East. Depending what happens in Orlando, Atlanta and Philly, Toronto could be right in the thick of the playoff race next year, meaning the addition of a veteran start SF would be extremely beneficial - not only for making the playoffs, but just showing the youngsters how to win.
              I love your optimism and I don't completely disagree, but if we do make the playoffs next year it'll be one of these eked out berths where we'll be lucky to take 1 game in the series against Miami. Even with a very good veteran SF, there's too much inexperience on the team to do any damage in the first 1-2 years. You're still looking at a lineup of guys whose total experience adds up to barely more than that Vet's experience (JV=0, Ross=0, Acy=0, Fields=2, DeRozan=3, Bargnani=6) to Iguodala=9).

I do agree with learning how to win though, so either you bring in that young potential Rudy Gay type, or you bring in a savvy vet (if you can find one willing to play for this kind of team). Chances are though that same winning guy would prefer to play for a contender. I think we can learn how to win just fine by ourselves though, judging by the many ill-advised wins we pulled off towards the end of last season.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Sorry, I didn't really answer the question. Here's some guys (or types of guys) I'd target:
                Thaddeus Young
                Michael Beasley (why not.. talent is there)
                Brandon Rush
                Wes Johnson
                Evan Turner

Basically they're guys that might be at a Rudy Gay-ish level in 2-3 years. If they happen to reach close to that, then we are a 4th seed type of team at that point and a perennial playoff team. If not, then we're still a middling 7/8 seed that will be looking to sign a SF free agent.
                I like Evan Turner, but it adds onto the shooting guard jam, especially he is going to be a guy needed to develop with playing time. The reason why people like Fields or Iggy is because those guys can play the 3. Rush is a guy who can play rotational minutes and all he'll have to do is shoot the ball.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  If NY matches Fields, what is your hope for plan B in free agency?

I for one am a big fan of OJ Mayo. I'm still puzzled why Memphis seemed to want to get rid of him for scrubs ( failed Indiana deal) and now have rescinded their QO making him unrestricted. Unless there are some underlying issues the public isn't privy too, I think he would be a solid addition to our team. He does alot of the stuff that we want Derozan to do and I feel has more potential going forward. If signing him allows us to peace out Derozan and acquire a SF, or if we have to try and play Derozan at the 3 to accomodate OJ, I'm all for it.

Comment

Not many free agents left that I like. I say we keep the cap space in tact and make a trade at the deadline for a legit starter, since that's really what we need on this team.

Other option would be to get a decent 3rd string PG like Johnny Flynn. He won't get many minutes behind Lowry/Calderon, but I do expect Calderon to get hurt this season so I can see him getting some burn as the season is under way.

Comment

I don't think we have a jam at shooting guard. I think BC has attempted to stockpile talent at both SG/SF in the hopes that in 2-3 years when our team is on the cusp that one or two of those guys develops into a go-to type of player like a Rudy Gay, or Iguodala/Granger a couple years ago for Philly/Indy.

I don't necessarily see any one guy that plays either position on our team that is 100% going to be the guy there in 3 years. Evan Turner or any of those guys I listed could be, though. I'm willing to cough up some cash to find out.

One thing for sure is that JV will be the guy at C, Bargnani most likely will be the guy at PF, and Lowry will be the guy at PG. Those other two spots are up for grabs, and I hope we find the right guys to take them.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

One thing for sure is that JV will be the guy at C, Bargnani most likely will be the guy at PF, and Lowry will be the guy at PG. Those other two spots are up for grabs, and I hope we find the right guys to take them.
                        From what BC and Casey have been saying in interviews/press conferences, Demar seems to be a locked up wing. Not a locked up shooting guard, or small forward, but he is a locked up player. If Fields signs here, it would be those two penciling in the starter positions, with Ross/Kleiza (would be surprised if JJ is still here on Training camp), and possibly Brandon Rush.

Comment

I was actually hoping to get Dorell Wright, but Philly beat us to it. I didn't follow GS a lot but I know he had a break out season in 10-11, what happened last year?

Thad young, CJ miles, Pietrus would be nice.
                          Iggy, Granger, Gay (though i don't think he's on the market) would be ideal.

Comment

I'd also wonder it would take to get Wilson Chandler. i am still very high on him and Denver already has Gallo and aaron on the wings

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                              I was actually hoping to get Dorell Wright, but Philly beat us to it. I didn't follow GS a lot but I know he had a break out season in 10-11, what happened last year?

Thad young, CJ miles, Pietrus would be nice.
                              Iggy, Granger, Gay (though i don't think he's on the market) would be ideal.
                              We just drafted a better version of Dorell Wright.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                                I'd also wonder it would take to get Wilson Chandler. i am still very high on him and Denver already has Gallo and aaron on the wings
                                I was high on him too, but the hip injury scares me. I'm not even sure when he's expected back. I basically viewed Fields as Chandler-lite, or as being able to develop into the same type of player - good defense, hustle guy, good outside shooter.

If Fields isn't signed and the Raps use trades to reach the cap, thus preserving their TPE & MLE, Chandler would fit into the TPE.

As for free agents (sorry Matt), there doesn't seem to be anybody other than Rush & Mayo garnering much consensus interest. Rush would likely be matched by GSW and RR readers seem to be split on Mayo. I wonder what the discussion would've been like about Fields, prior to us knowing BC was chasing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X