Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Knicks match Fields, what is plan B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I was high on him too, but the hip injury scares me. I'm not even sure when he's expected back. I basically viewed Fields as Chandler-lite, or as being able to develop into the same type of player - good defense, hustle guy, good outside shooter.

If Fields isn't signed and the Raps use trades to reach the cap, thus preserving their TPE & MLE, Chandler would fit into the TPE.

As for free agents (sorry Matt), there doesn't seem to be anybody other than Rush & Mayo garnering much consensus interest. Rush would likely be matched by GSW and RR readers seem to be split on Mayo. I wonder what the discussion would've been like about Fields, prior to us knowing BC was chasing him.
    No apologies needed - lol.

I have a feeling if Fields does not happen, free agency is shelved and trades become a full court press.

As for Fields, I know I made reference to him as did Apollo in the past. I don't think either one of us was thinking 3 years and $19M though!

Comment

I have not seen this anywhere else as the tweet is just 10 minutes old but Batum anyone?

Yannis Koutroupis ‏@YannisHW

Sources say the Timberwolves want to sign Lee outright, they arent interested in a sign-and-trade with the Houston Rockets.

Yannis Koutroupis Yannis Koutroupis ‏@YannisHW

Sources say the Timberwolves will go after Courtney Lee since Portland doesnt want to "play ball" in a potential Batum sign-and-trade.

One can only hope it is true and the relationship between Batum (and most likely more importantly his agent) and Portland front office is irreparable.

A Batum sign and trade would be a stellar plan B! (strictly talking free agency).

Comment

If Fields is matched by NYK and Calderon is traded, a new target just appeared...

chadfordinsider Chad Ford
        RT @BobcatsBballPR: Breaking @bobcats News: The team has withdrawn its qualifying offer to D.J. Augustin. He is now an unrestricted free...
        He'd be a decent backup PG replacement for Calderon.

Comment

If Fields is matched by NYK and Calderon is traded, a new target just appeared...

He'd be a decent backup PG replacement for Calderon.
          He is going to Indiana it appears.

Indiana were trying to engage CHA in s&t talks - now they won't have to.

Comment

I would go after OJ Mayo right away if Fields offer gets matched. Mayo obviously doesn't fill the whole at the 3 spot but he's a very talented player who can create his own shot and facilitate for others. His strengths are our other wings weakness's. Mayo can even play PG in a pinch so finding him minutes would n't be an issue. Him on board would make DD a lot easier pill to swallow if moved and any combination of DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ed and Jose's expiring would likely return some very good talent. A combination of those players and you could be expecting returns such as Gay, Iggy, Granger or Deng to even out the roster. I'm all for collecting assets and flipping them for all-star caliber talent.

Comment

If Gay and Iggy are out of the question,

My list goes (in order) Batum, Rush, Lee, keep JJ and try to find a better option, Mayo, Pietrus.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

At least that would make sense of the Collison trade to the Mavs. They paid a high price (Collison/Jones & salary) to get their backup C, after maxing out Hibbert!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

That didn't take long... must have been same scenario as Bayless and Memphis.

chadfordinsider Chad Ford
                  RT @MikeWellsNBA: Pacers have agreed to a 1 year deal with DJ Augustin, according to a source.

Comment

OJ

If NY matches the offer sheet i think the Raps should go after O.J. Mayo...

He's a true SG that should make our team better....we can always move DD to the SF position (which i believe we're already doing). Ross would then get minutes at both SG and SF (backing up both OJ and Demar).

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post

He's a true SG that should make our team better....we can always move DD to the SF position (which i believe we're already doing). Ross would then get minutes at both SG and SF (backing up both OJ and Demar).
                      Plus he seems to be a pretty good defender and should fit in DC's system just fine

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post

I was originally really high on Mayo, before the rumors started about Memphis possibly shopping Gay, to re-sign Mayo. The more I think about it, I would be really happy to see Fields matched, Mayo signed and a package of players (ie: Calderon, JJ, Amir/Davis) traded for Iggy.

Imagine this wing rotation!
                        Starters: Iggy & Mayo
                        Bench: Kleiza (could play some at PF, with Amir/Davis at C) & DeRozan & Ross
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I was originally really high on Mayo, before the rumors started about Memphis possibly shopping Gay, to re-sign Mayo. The more I think about it, I would be really happy to see Fields matched, Mayo signed and a package of players (ie: Calderon, JJ, Amir/Davis) traded for Iggy.

Imagine this wing rotation!
                          Starters: Iggy & Mayo
                          Bench: Kleiza (could play some at PF, with Amir/Davis at C) & DeRozan & Fields
                          I'm pretty sure we'd lose DD to the 76'ers if we traded for Iggy. which I'm fine with, especially if our starting line up is:

Lowry
                          Mayo
                          Iggy
                          Bargs
                          Valc

Christ that's a line up!
                          i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            I really hope plan A fails.

I'd like to see a strong pitch made for a trade with OKC for James Harden using a combo of Calderon/DD/ED/Amir/Cap releif.

Lowry
                            Harden
                            T. Ross
                            Bargnani
                            JV

Since that will never happen I'll throw my hat in for giving JJ another year while searching for a better option. At the least he works hard of D and for the most part you don't have to double team the guy he is defending. IMO his ability to rotate, cover his own man and block shots was a big part of why the Rap's were so good at limiting points in the paint last season.

if James harden is available I'll throw everything we have got. I will try to make him our franchise player and I suspect he will thrive in that role under Casey. As far as I am concerned everyone is expendable for a player like Harden.

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
                              I'm pretty sure we'd lose DD to the 76'ers if we traded for Iggy. which I'm fine with, especially if our starting line up is:

Lowry
                              Mayo
                              Iggy
                              Bargs
                              Valc

Christ that's a line up!
                              I'd like it. Iggy provides perimeter defense and both he and Mayo provide offense, both by driving to the basket and with outside shooting. If they got Mayo signed, it would make giving up DeRozan easier to deal with, in a trade for Gay or Iggy.

I also mistakenly included Fields in my post, but corrected it to be Ross.

Comment

Peitrus sucks
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X