Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Knicks match Fields, what is plan B?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I understand that line of thinking for Iggy or Granger, given their age. Gay will only be 27 next season, so he should have a solid 5 years left.

Also, depending what happens with Orlando (Howard) and Atlanta, the Raps could have a decent shot at making the playoffs next season with the revamped roster (Valanciunas, Lowry, Ross, Fields, Acy, healthy Bargnani), let alone after the addition of a top-tier starting SF. Chicago (Rose), Orlando (Howard), Atlanta (Johnson/Williams), Philly (Brand/Iggy?) and Boston (Allen/older) all have bigtime questions heading into next season, leaving Miami & Indy as the surefire bets for the playoffs. NY and NJ will be competitive, but I would put Toronto into the this top-10 discussion, ahead of the rest of the teams in the East. Depending what happens in Orlando, Atlanta and Philly, Toronto could be right in the thick of the playoff race next year, meaning the addition of a veteran start SF would be extremely beneficial - not only for making the playoffs, but just showing the youngsters how to win.
    I love your optimism and I don't completely disagree, but if we do make the playoffs next year it'll be one of these eked out berths where we'll be lucky to take 1 game in the series against Miami. Even with a very good veteran SF, there's too much inexperience on the team to do any damage in the first 1-2 years. You're still looking at a lineup of guys whose total experience adds up to barely more than that Vet's experience (JV=0, Ross=0, Acy=0, Fields=2, DeRozan=3, Bargnani=6) to Iguodala=9).

I do agree with learning how to win though, so either you bring in that young potential Rudy Gay type, or you bring in a savvy vet (if you can find one willing to play for this kind of team). Chances are though that same winning guy would prefer to play for a contender. I think we can learn how to win just fine by ourselves though, judging by the many ill-advised wins we pulled off towards the end of last season.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Sorry, I didn't really answer the question. Here's some guys (or types of guys) I'd target:
    Thaddeus Young
    Michael Beasley (why not.. talent is there)
    Brandon Rush
    Wes Johnson
    Evan Turner

Basically they're guys that might be at a Rudy Gay-ish level in 2-3 years. If they happen to reach close to that, then we are a 4th seed type of team at that point and a perennial playoff team. If not, then we're still a middling 7/8 seed that will be looking to sign a SF free agent.
    I like Evan Turner, but it adds onto the shooting guard jam, especially he is going to be a guy needed to develop with playing time. The reason why people like Fields or Iggy is because those guys can play the 3. Rush is a guy who can play rotational minutes and all he'll have to do is shoot the ball.

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If NY matches Fields, what is your hope for plan B in free agency?

I for one am a big fan of OJ Mayo. I'm still puzzled why Memphis seemed to want to get rid of him for scrubs ( failed Indiana deal) and now have rescinded their QO making him unrestricted. Unless there are some underlying issues the public isn't privy too, I think he would be a solid addition to our team. He does alot of the stuff that we want Derozan to do and I feel has more potential going forward. If signing him allows us to peace out Derozan and acquire a SF, or if we have to try and play Derozan at the 3 to accomodate OJ, I'm all for it.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not many free agents left that I like. I say we