Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    I feel like Calderon is getting treated like shit the past couple years. He's one of the most loyal Raptors in history and he's been on the trading block year after year with numerous trade rumors involving him. But hey, I guess that's business....
    100% agree but your last sentence, unfortunately, is reality. That is why he has a 10% trade kicker.

I really cannot see him coming back. While it is a business, he does deserve better - much, much better.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So how bout a 3 way?

Toronto gets: Rudy Gay and Greivis Vasquea
    Toronto Sends: Amir, Jose, JJ

NOH gets: Jose, Pargo
    NOH sends: JSmith and Vasquez

Memphis gets: Amir, Smith, JJ
    Memphis sends: Gay, Pargo

This doesn't work on the trade machine but that is because they have not yet accounted for NOHs recent cap clearing moves and the corresponding, Eric G's cap hold etc etc. but it'd allow Memphis to dump some salary while netting some useful, young bench players and NOH would get a very good PnR PG to team up with Unibrow and who knows how to find a guy like Ryan Anderson as well as Gordon. Tdots finest get The Gay man they've always wanted (cheap shot I know) and a cheap young backup who'll never be much.

Yeah I know, the pipe is burning hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Jose's going to be a HUGE trade chip come trade deadline time

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    So how bout a 3 way?

Toronto gets: Rudy Gay and Greivis Vasquea
    Toronto Sends: Amir, Jose, JJ

NOH gets: Jose, Pargo
    NOH sends: JSmith and Vasquez

Memphis gets: Amir, Smith, JJ
    Memphis sends: Gay, Pargo

This doesn't work on the trade machine but that is because they have not yet accounted for NOHs recent cap clearing moves and the corresponding, Eric G's cap hold etc etc. but it'd allow Memphis to dump some salary while netting some useful, young bench players and NOH would get a very good PnR PG to team up with Unibrow and who knows how to find a guy like Ryan Anderson as well as Gordon. Tdots finest get The Gay man they've always wanted (cheap shot I know) and a cheap young backup who'll never be much.

Yeah I know, the pipe is burning hot.
    I very much doubt that Memphis is willing to send Rudy Gay to receive Jason Smith, James Johnson and Amir. Especially since they recently extended qualifying offers to both Speights and Arthur. I'm just not sure we have anything that Memphis wants, really. But I like the idea of getting Rudy while still keeping the core intact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Not to be a buzz-kill but many - myself included - thought the same about Barbosa.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Faux-ID wrote: View Post
    I very much doubt that Memphis is willing to send Rudy Gay to receive Jason Smith, James Johnson and Amir. Especially since they recently extended qualifying offers to both Speights and Arthur. I'm just not sure we have anything that Memphis wants, really. But I like the idea of getting Rudy while still keeping the core intact.
    I hear ya. Totally forgot about Speights. I'd throw em DD if they wanted but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Not to be a buzz-kill but many - myself included - thought the same about Barbosa.
    True enough but Calderon is a starting, highly efficient PG. Bigger market.

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also one year closer for the punative luxury tax...just saying.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Apparently he said this on Prime Time Sports. I think this means that a trade is brewing.
    Here's the Prime Time interview, haven't gotten that far though. Pretty interesting.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan59...07-11-6-pm.mp3

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If it makes the team better...

If there's a deal that makes Toronto better, but to do it, they have to ship out Jose, then do it.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Also thought the same about Barbosa and I think we were right. The reason it didn't seem like he had much value was because Toronto was being fussy. They didn't want to take back a contract and so waited 'til the last minute. My opinion.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    If we do give up Calderon for either Batum or Iggy, we would to find another PG to backup Lowry since we don't have another PG if we trade Calderon.
    They have something in the works

Lucas III or Flynn perhaps.. gotta move Jose first
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The GM made Jose a very rich man at a time when he would have gotten about 60% of his contact out on the open market. If The GM asked him to wash his car on the weekends, he should be grateful. I hope he does get traded, only because he'd be wasted here coming off the bench (I'm not a fan, but if Mario Chambers can be the starting PG for a championship team...). There's no use paying $10 Million for a back up PG, especially considering your new starting guard wasn't a fan of platooning (and please, no comments about how you can play them together. There's already enough SGs here and Calderon has a tough enough time covering the likes of DJ Augustin, hate to see him guard Joe Johnson and James Harden). Just get the Iggy deal done if it's out there and sign Johnny Flynn to play 15 mins a game.

One team that just opened up is Indiana, which traded Collison to Dallas (Good move. Collison had a good playoff and at less than 3 million, can at least do a reasonable job at PG). Indiana isn't going to want to take a step back and can't be all that comfortable with George Hill running the point...)
    Last edited by DirtyMikeSeaver; Wed Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose is not a huge trade chip.

Iggy and Gay are skilled enough to be considered for the Olympic team. JC and DD are not getting it done in a package for either of these players.

Nobody is jumping out of their seat to make him their starter. And nobody wants him at the point in the playoffs cos he is a turnstile on D and needs the ball to be effective on O.

Jose's value is that he's an expiring contract... so we can trade him for a team looking to create cap space or move a bad contract. The scenario plays out with us getting a pick or young asset + a bad contract for Calderon.

"Multiple inquiries" = multiple GMs trying to undo their mistakes.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    Jose's value is that he's an expiring contract... so we can trade him for a team looking to create cap space or move a bad contract.
    you have said one thing i agree with. except if the past 3 years are going to continue then team will completely burn down the town to open up as much space as possible to reload. other teams won't take bad contracts as much because they will now be only 4 years instead of 5.

the value of large expiring contracts is going to go up and up. if a team is 3 out of 5 years above the cap they are playing massive payments. here is a quote from cuban with just my google search

"More Cuban: "In the past, I could fix any mistake just by spending money. And I did. Now, it wasn't just about spending more money, because it was a lot more money. What was $19 million in luxury tax last year would have been more than $65 million under the new rules in year three or later."
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...ine/index.html

that is a ridiculous amount of money. expiring contracts aren't the same as they use to be.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Iggy is starting to look better and better now that Gay looks less likely to happen....sigh
    That's what I'mmmmmmmmm sayin!

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Oh you think so? Last season we got late second round pick for Barbosa, who is good player with expiring contract over 7 millions, and now we have Jose... Following the same philosophy we could get early early-mid second rounder or in best case late first round pick in not so deep draft.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Danny Granger? They just traded out Darren Collison and have no starting PG. They signed Gerrard Green and also have Paul George at SF, and don't forget Barbosa's trade when, in my opinion, we did them a little favor, so Indiana could be more flexible this time (for example Jose+JJ to Granger)

What y'all think?
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    What about Danny Granger? They just traded out Darren Collison and have no starting PG. They signed Gerrard Green and also have Paul George at SF, and don't forget Barbosa's trade when, in my opinion, we did them a little favor, so Indiana could be more flexible this time (for example Jose+JJ to Granger)

What y'all think?
    i would like granger if all avenues for iggy were exhausted. thing with granger is he gives elite scoring but needs lots of touches for it. i think the team will run set plays for demar in the post and bargs up high with iso plays for lowry while the wing cuts and the center rolls. granger needs iso plays or he could end up being a very expensive spot up shooter. if we had a 4 like brand or bosh he would be a better option in my opinion. with iggy he effects so many aspects of the game without taking from others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Also thought the same about Barbosa and I think we were right. The reason it didn't seem like he had much value was because Toronto was being fussy. They didn't want to take back a contract and so waited 'til the last minute. My opinion.
    Good point.

Thread Information