Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think it's all money. jose is a team player and not a complainer. it's a business and he knows it and he is making a business decision
    To be honest, this whole thing is completely OVERBLOWN! Calderon has never asked for a trade. There is a different between "wanting" a trade and "welcoming" a trade...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    You conveniently omitted the part where I said I like Jose. His durability is in question so I don't understand why he still feels like he's a starter. I understand early on when he was still averaging 8+ dimes a game. Now, for 10.6 Mil a year, I personally wouldn't mind being stabbed in the back myself. It's not a hate post. I just wish that he needs to understand that the young guy in Lowry deserves his chance (after being a back-up for as long as Jose's been a starter). TJ Ford and Jarrett Jack got jettisoned for him too so don't forget that.
    well said, and I agree. He's definitely been given his chance to be our guy for stretches but he's simply not good enough across the board to be the PG of the future for this club. We needed a young PG who could penetrate, pass, not back down from shots, defend at a high level, and be a gritty floor general and have a reasonable contract. We pretty much got all of those things in Lowry. While Jose is an elite passer and good spot up shooter, that's about it. He's not a good enough defender, athletic, or durable enough to take us deep into the playoffs year after year against the leagues new breed of PGs. Gotta love the guy for his passion, resilience, and professionalism but he's just not right for the teams current direction, plain and simple. When management reviews potential PGs they don't argue Calderon's case with "but he's such a nice guy" or "but he loves Toronto", that's all great but you've gotta do whats best for team... I mean seriously? Do what makes us better overall. And lastly, I'm sure he'll land with a good team and go deep in the playoffs, if not this year then next year when he can choose where to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calderon deserves it

I really feel for Calderon. The guy has been linked to rumors of trades and amnesty scenarios for a solid month. The team has obviously lost interest in him long term, he's not getting the respect he deserves right now and so it's only fitting that he ask for a trade. I hope he lands in a good place for him while giving the Raptors a good return. I don't really think Calderon not wanting to play in Toronto anymore will reduce his value. It's been obvious to everyone that Calderon is not in the Raptors' plans anyway and he's an expiring contract now. The writing is on the wall. Get this right Colangelo.

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Now, for 10.6 Mil a year, I personally wouldn't mind being stabbed in the back myself.
    Oh, so what's your threshold? At $10.5M you would be upset that your family's future was held up in the air for a month but at $10.6M you're fine with it? Maybe your threshold is $5M? $1M? $100k? $1000? $100? At what price do you forget what you feel is fair or right?

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    word is BC only wants to trade him if he can get some kind of TPE back or whatever. Because BC really uses them...
    Ah, Colangelo's favorite tool to dupe fans into thinking half his recent trades weren't disappointments. Trading talent for the equivalent of imaginary money. I'm sure that sits well with investors who really understand what those trades essentially were about in the end.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a business people. In managements defense, it's not like they were the ones throwing Jose's name around. Up until a few days ago Bryan said he's a part of the team and they'll welcome him back. The team obviously feels like he can't take them to the next level because frankly, he can't. They went and got someone they felt can. What in the world is wrong with that. So his names been thrown around in rumors, he'll get over it, we'll get over it who cares. This is the NBA players are people, but even moreso assets. All you can do is thank Jose for his services, which he was more then well compensated for, and wish him the best in the future and make sure you get the best group of assets in return for him. His time with the club has been good but his age, injury history, lack of athleticism, and poor defense don't fit in with this team. Lowry is a better fit and Lowry is what the coach wants. End of story. We'll all miss Jose but it's time to win now. Those of you who don't like that part of the business will just have to cry about it lol. I think this deal is a great opportunity to get substantially better, and c'mon, who didn't see this coming from a mile away?!?!?!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I really feel for Calderon. The guy has been linked to rumors of trades and amnesty scenarios for a solid month. The team has obviously lost interest in him long term, he's not getting the respect he deserves right now and so it's only fitting that he ask for a trade. I hope he lands in a good place for him while giving the Raptors a good return. I don't really think Calderon not wanting to play in Toronto anymore will reduce his value. It's been obvious to everyone that Calderon is not in the Raptors' plans anyway and he's an expiring contract now. The writing is on the wall. Get this right Colangelo.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

I would love for this to happen, but does it take away too much from Memphis to keep them as a playoff team? I guess it would depend on DeRozan's ability to take his game to the next level there.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they should trade Calderon & their 2013 2nd round pick to Dallas for a 1st round pick and a $10.6M TPE.

Let him start ahead of Colison on a veteran team.

Toronto gets a pick back after trading theirs to Houston, while also getting a bigger TPE after losing the Barbosa TPE (if Fields signing goes through).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    This is a business people.
    Yeah it is and the organization has taken steps which indicate that Calderon is not in their future plans. Calderon has made the business decision to let them know he would welcome the opportunity to end their relationship. What's wrong with it given the circumstances?

Up until a few days ago Bryan said he's a part of the team and they'll welcome him back.
    What does that mean really? Well, he's under contract. If they don't welcome him back then they pay him $10.5M to not play basketball.

The team obviously feels like he can't take them to the next level because frankly, he can't.
    Ok, so trade him already.

They went and got someone they felt can. What in the world is wrong with that.
    Nothing.

So his names been thrown around in rumors, he'll get over it, we'll get over it who cares. This is the NBA players are people, but even moreso assets.
    Right and so they should trade him. He's a prime asset to capitalize on.

His time with the club has been good but his age, injury history, lack of athleticism, and poor defense don't fit in with this team. Lowry is a better fit and Lowry is what the coach wants. End of story.
    So trade him.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8a9ge8x

Jose Calderon for Beno Udrich and Jon Brockman and 2013 second round pick.
    stop

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically Apollo agreed with me...or at least I think so I can't tell. And I hope everyone stops whining about Joses treatment, who cares he's just an asset (was my point).

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

John Hollinger is of the mind that there isn't a lot of interest in Jose and his contract.

Nick (Toronto)

How about Jose Calderon for the Hornets? They could give up a heavily protected pick for him, which Toronto could relay to Philly with a couple other assets for Iguodala. Who says no?
    John Hollinger (12:55 PM)

You're sniffing bath salts if you think you can get a draft pick for Calderon given his $10M price. You have it backwards: The Raptors need to pay somebody to take him.
    source

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    John Hollinger is of the mind that there isn't a lot of interest in Jose and his contract.

source
    Nothing John Hollinger says about the raps is true...he is a complete moron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote geo wrote: View Post
    Seconded.

Post Thanks / Like

well said, and I agree. He's definitely been given his chance to be our guy for stretches but he's simply not good enough across the board to be the PG of the future for this club. We needed a young PG who could penetrate, pass, not back down from shots, defend at a high level, and be a gritty floor general and have a reasonable contract. We pretty much got all of those things in Lowry. While Jose is an elite passer and good spot up shooter, that's about it. He's not a good enough defender, athletic, or durable enough to take us deep into the playoffs year after year against the leagues new breed of PGs. Gotta love the guy for his passion, resilience, and professionalism but he's just not right for the teams current direction, plain and simple. When management reviews potential PGs they don't argue Calderon's case with "but he's such a nice guy" or "but he loves Toronto", that's all great but you've gotta do whats best for team... I mean seriously? Do what makes us better overall. And lastly, I'm sure he'll land with a good team and go deep in the playoffs, if not this year then next year when he can choose where to go.
    I'm with ya Jimmy.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote geo wrote: View Post
    When it comes to Toronto absolutely.

He is right on the pick though, a first round draft pick is not coming back.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose said, "Enough is enough and it is time for a change!"

I can't blame him. If has been a total pro the last 3 years (although near $30M calls for that in my opinion).

I hope BC can get something for him and he lands in a good situation for him.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so what's your threshold? At $10.5M you would be upset that your family's future was held up in the air for a month but at $10.6M you're fine with it? Maybe your threshold is $5M? $1M? $100k? $1000? $100? At what price do you forget what you feel is fair or right?
    I meant that figuratively Apollo. He is very well compensated to a point where the logic behind his family's future makes me scratch my head. At 10 million dollars / year and at the tail end of that contract, his family is fine. It's a business decision, I wish him well and hopefully both sides gets it done.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Jose said, "Enough is enough and it is time for a change!"

I can't blame him. If has been a total pro the last 3 years (although near $30M calls for that in my opinion).

I hope BC can get something for him and he lands in a good situation for him.
    Considering some people are still angry we only got a 2nd round pick for a few months rental of Barbosa, I wonder how many 'shaking heads' there will be when Calderon won't even get us a 1st round pick.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote alex_elstone wrote: View Post
    Why did we get rid if bayless with nothing in return again? Refresh my memory
    Garbage in garbage out.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post

source
    Hollinger maybe didn't look at how many years Calderon has left?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote alex_elstone wrote: View Post
    Why did we get rid if bayless with nothing in return again? Refresh my memory
    You can't trade players if no other team is willing to cooperate...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information