Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 256

Thread: Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

  1. #221
    Raptors Republic Rookie Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Who cares? Let it go. The thread is about Calderon on the trading block, not the merits of public vs private trade requests. All that matters is that all signs point to Calderon's time in Toronto being done and wondering what the Raps might get in return. Enough of this 'he said, she said' crap.

    The fact of the matter is that the writing's been on the wall ever since the very public failed trade with Charlotte two years ago. Since then there's been no secret that Calderon's days in Toronto were numbered. I would bet my left nut that every GM in the league already knew the situation long before either side (BC or Calderon's people) went public, and that's really all that matters. If you think any GM out there found out via public disclosure that Calderon was on the trade block, you're incredibly naive.

    Therefore, this entire argument/debate is a completely moot point. Let it go... please!
    Agreed.

    I may be echoing what others have already stated here but, despite my appreciation for Jose and all he's done, I say don't even bother moving him unless we can score a decent young backup PG in return. Sure, he wants to be traded but if I'm Bryan Colangelo and I've already tried moving him a million times over the past few seasons, I'd say eff it all- don't comply with the trade request unless we get a solid piece or two in return; None of this TPE bull and no getting nothing-players in return. Keep him as a backup at around 20-25 mpg (tough beans) until the trade deadline and maybe a decent trade option will pop up. He'll also make a killer back-up, by the way, potentially making us a lock for the playoffs. He's not the "locker room cancer" type; Jose's always been a pro and there's no doubt in my mind he'll show up to play, no matter what the circumstance.

  2. #222
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    That's a little unfair to compare the 2 situations, because Carmelo and Dwight mean WAY more to their teams than Calderon does. If Dwight and Carmelo had played it low key and 'played the year out', there would still be mega stories about them and what would happen (see LeBron and Bosh). Carmelo and Dwight don't have the 'luxury' of having to be straight because no matter what they would do, there still would be a backlash. If Calderon had acted like Carmelo or Dwight, no one would really care.

    And I also dispute your notion about players being 'employees' and GMs being more important. I think what happened in Orlando, where the owners did everything short of offering their firstborn to Howard and they fired their coach and GM, tells you that star players rule the league (as they should, they are the ones making money for the owners)
    See Carmelo and Bosh? I believe that was 2 other examples of players not publicly declaring intentions creating a circus. The difference with LBJ and Bosh was they had the right because they were unrestricted free agents. I do agree if Calderon acted like this, no one in the NBA community and fan base might not care but the Raptor community and fan would be livid.

    I can live to agree to disagree with your opinion on the merits of star players ruling the league. However, I said nothing of GMs being more important, I said they were not equals (one word = big difference). GMs sign the contracts, make the trades, hire/fire coaches and staff, and sign the free agents. A big part of the problem in Orlando is they did not 'consult' or seek Dwight's approval over the years. The coach was essentially fired because he wanted out - remember the infamous interview with Dwight putting his arm around him? - and the GM was fired because he pulled a Titanic on the organization with a few trades that went really bad.

  3. #223
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Phil wrote: View Post
    Agreed.

    I may be echoing what others have already stated here but, despite my appreciation for Jose and all he's done, I say don't even bother moving him unless we can score a decent young backup PG in return. Sure, he wants to be traded but if I'm Bryan Colangelo and I've already tried moving him a million times over the past few seasons, I'd say eff it all- don't comply with the trade request unless we get a solid piece or two in return; None of this TPE bull and no getting nothing-players in return. Keep him as a backup at around 20-25 mpg (tough beans) until the trade deadline and maybe a decent trade option will pop up. He'll also make a killer back-up, by the way, potentially making us a lock for the playoffs. He's not the "locker room cancer" type; Jose's always been a pro and there's no doubt in my mind he'll show up to play, no matter what the circumstance.
    +1 - Colangelo has essentially said this as well.

    Vasquez would be a nice pick up if possible though.

  4. #224
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    +1 - Colangelo has essentially said this as well.

    Vasquez would be a nice pick up if possible though.



    I would be OK with that as well, Jose's presence with the young Hornets team would be a good fit.

  5. #225
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No link, but now that Dallas has secured Elton Brand, things may heat up on the Jose front.

  6. #226
    Raptors Republic Rookie knowledgep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    No link, but now that Dallas has secured Elton Brand, things may heat up on the Jose front.
    Here's a link that got me thinking, Jason Terry hasn't signed his offer sheet yet for Boston, this article talks about a 3 team trade which includes Calderon to Dallas and a Jason Terry S&T to Boston.

    Not sure if the source is reliable though, but interesting.

    http://mavericks.scout.com/a.z?s=268...2f1202432.html

  7. #227
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote knowledgep wrote: View Post
    Here's a link that got me thinking, Jason Terry hasn't signed his offer sheet yet for Boston, this article talks about a 3 team trade which includes Calderon to Dallas and a Jason Terry S&T to Boston.

    Not sure if the source is reliable though, but interesting.

    http://mavericks.scout.com/a.z?s=268...2f1202432.html
    That is interesting.

    I read Boston was open to a S&T originally but Dallas said no.

    Maybe this changes things? If Jose was amnestied it was a given they would pick him up.

  8. #228
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is interesting.

    I read Boston was open to a S&T originally but Dallas said no.

    Maybe this changes things? If Jose was amnestied it was a given they would pick him up.
    A Dominique Jones was mentioned in the link as a possible exchange. He is a 6.5-6.6 guard who plays pg & sg in his 3rd yr (last in the D-league). Anyone heard of him?

  9. #229
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    A Dominique Jones was mentioned in the link as a possible exchange. He is a 6.5-6.6 guard who plays pg & sg in his 3rd yr (last in the D-league). Anyone heard of him?
    I did not think he was a PG.

    Thought he was an oft-injured SG who couldn't really shoot. Just by checking his college stats I see he was a high scorer.

    I think the only incentive to taking back Jones is he frees up nearly $9.5M in cap space and is a tradeable contract due to his 4th year rookie deal not being guaranteed therefore becoming an expiring contract.

  10. #230
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote knowledgep wrote: View Post
    Here's a link that got me thinking, Jason Terry hasn't signed his offer sheet yet for Boston, this article talks about a 3 team trade which includes Calderon to Dallas and a Jason Terry S&T to Boston.

    Not sure if the source is reliable though, but interesting.

    http://mavericks.scout.com/a.z?s=268...2f1202432.html
    Yeah, I just read something like that too. If that's the case, we may be able to find a back-up PG somewhere?

    http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/ar...trade/11223196
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  11. #231
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So what would the Raptors be looking at taking back? Some draft picks is my guess.

  12. #232
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They were talking to Casey during the Toronto/Miami summer league game. And Casey, with his man crush for Jose, basically says he expects Jose to be with the team next year. Basically, saying that good teams have competition for playing time and its not Jose but Jose's people pushing for a trade.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  13. #233
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    So what would the Raptors be looking at taking back? Some draft picks is my guess.
    Rights to Nick Calathes would make me happy.

    I would imagine Dallas would look to dump a contract - Dominique Jones has been mentioned. Dahntay Jones would be good too - 3rd string banger.

  14. #234
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is starting to get a little bit out of hand now. It's true that Jose hasn't come out and say he wanted to be traded but I'm sure he doesn't want to go through all the drama of 'who's starting, who deserves to start' etc... So I'm just going to assume he'll be with the team and put 100% effort into producing as much as he can until he's does get traded (if in fact he does).

    As it stands now, we have a pretty good 1-2 punch in the back court. I'm really liking how the team is shaping up.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  15. #235
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RPT23 wrote: View Post
    This is starting to get a little bit out of hand now. It's true that Jose hasn't come out and say he wanted to be traded but I'm sure he doesn't want to go through all the drama of 'who's starting, who deserves to start' etc... So I'm just going to assume he'll be with the team and put 100% effort into producing as much as he can until he's does get traded (if in fact he does).

    As it stands now, we have a pretty good 1-2 punch in the back court. I'm really liking how the team is shaping up.
    I 100% agree with what you are saying and hope that if Jose is back he is happy in whatever role he has - likely backup PG.

    Ideally, I would like Jose to stay but if he wants to go then he should be traded.

    If he stayed, it would really be a nice 1-2 PG punch.

  16. #236
    Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think if we really want the best for jose, seeing as how this is a contract year for him we should let him go somewhere where he can get enough play time, to earn a good contract.

  17. #237
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I think if we really want the best for jose, seeing as how this is a contract year for him we should let him go somewhere where he can get enough play time, to earn a good contract.

    i want the best for the raptors and if helping jose furthers that goal ok but if not sorry jose.

  18. #238
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont really understand how the Jet move to Boston would somehow net the Mavs Calderon. Perhaps they want a pick or 2 from Boston, which they will then turn around and offer to us for Calderon, but im not sure that will work cap-wise or what the procedure is for using the TE they get from Odom.

    However, I think the Jose to Dallas thing has some legs. He's expiring, so he keeps them flexible. He's reliable, so he can play well enough to compete & keep Dirk happy. And he's a good team player that wont mind teaming with Colison. I just think the stories of their interest in him make sense.

    Looking at them and trying to match salaries... Jose/JJ for Marion works. I was never really a fan of the matrix's when the was last here. But he did look OK at times, has found his mojo with Dallas a little bit, and he's a better fit with DC than with Triano. And correct me if I'm wrong, but DC and Marion worked in Dallas, no? I like him on this team is what I'm trying to say.

    Perhaps we could even convince them to throw in that Crowder dude from Marquette. Id rather take a flier on this guy and add some depth at that 3 than get a future pick of Boston's.

    Just not sure that Dallas would let go of Marion for JJ/Caldy for defensive reasons.

  19. #239
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ESPN ‏@NBARumorCentral
    No good offers yet for Jose Calderon. Shaw and Malone no longer candidates for Magic. Raptors send Johnson to Kings http://es.pn/uaLB1O
    Good to know that BC is not just taking any offer. I am thinking that us trading Jose is going to be with a pf (Amir or Davis) but isn't Amir's contract too big to be paired with Jose? It would really limit what other teams can give us.

  20. #240
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a feeling that Colangelo won't get any decent offers for Calderon until an amnesty is officially off the table. Why bother trading for him if you can pick him up in an amnesty auction? The only thing I hope the Raptors don't do is amnesty Calderon, unless it is for the purpose of trading for a top-grade SF.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •