Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's really hard to guess what Calderon's trade value is and whether BC is looking to include him in a package deal (ie: for Iggy) or in a deal on his own. One of the hurdles is that there are so few teams that need a starting PG.

Dallas - has Collison, but I question whether he's ready to be a lead PG for a veteran 'win now' team, especially after losing his starting job with Indy last year, to a guy who isn't even a true PG

Houston - one big cluster***k, who knows what players they'll ultimately end up with, but the only PGs on their roster are Douglas & Fortson (who have both been rumored to be cut to faciliate a trade for Howard) and I haven't read any rumors that mention a PG coming back in a potential Howard trade

New Orleans - only Rivers and Vasquez on their roster now, with big chunk of cap space likely going to be used to match offer for Gordon

After those 3 teams, the only other viable options I see are teams that have young PG (ie: Portland) who may like a veteran backup for a single season... that is a much larger list to nail down as to which ones might actually have interest and/or cap space

----

If Toronto goes the route of trading Calderon on his own and is adament about not taking a bad/useless contract back, Minny could be an interesting team to use as a 3rd team to help faciliate a trade. Toronto could trade Calderon to team #1 that has no cap space, which sends a player to Minny, who in turns sends Webster & Miller to Toronto (both non-guaranteed contracts). The total buyout for those 2 players is roughly $1.5M (team #1 could conceivably send cash to Toronto to pay for the buyouts).

If Jose is unhappy with the idea that he won't be starting, then the only trades I can see are to teams that would want a starter not a backup. Houston makes sense, but cap space is precious to them or else they would not have amnestied Scola.

The team I keep coming back to is Chicago. Without Rose that team is going to be in trouble. Jose can be put into the starters spot for one year basically which is perfect since he's an expiring. I'd like to trade for Deng, but if he's off limits then perhaps we can get Korver & Brewer for Jose (and possibly a 2nd rounder).

Korver is an excellent 3 point shooter, and is a pure SF. Brewer can be really good on defense.. and both are expiring after the year. Brewer is a free agent, so he'd have to be moved in a S&T. I heard that the Bulls were looking to move Korver as well.

CJ Watson would be another possibility to play backup to Lowry.. however Calderon makes too much money and a simple Korver+Watson for Jose would not work.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      I hope cooler heads prevail and that the Raptors offer Jose a $16-18M 4-year extension when teams can extend players.

The fourth year may be too much but I think it would be a nice gesture from the Raptors.
      I think we're forgetting about Jose pretty much saying "It's TJ or me" prior to Jose signing his current contract. He wanted to be a starter and so now, here we go again; this time he's not waiting for fee agency. Another athletic PG is added to the mix. One who has also complained about not starting in the past. You have two PG's with the same strong desire to lead and only one can do it in the prominent role. Calderon won't change his mind on this. He's still good enough to earn a starting role on half the teams in the league.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        If Jose is unhappy with the idea that he won't be starting, then the only trades I can see are to teams that would want a starter not a backup. Houston makes sense, but cap space is precious to them or else they would not have amnestied Scola.

The team I keep coming back to is Chicago. Without Rose that team is going to be in trouble. Jose can be put into the starters spot for one year basically which is perfect since he's an expiring. I'd like to trade for Deng, but if he's off limits then perhaps we can get Korver & Brewer for Jose (and possibly a 2nd rounder).

Korver is an excellent 3 point shooter, and is a pure SF. Brewer can be really good on defense.. and both are expiring after the year. Brewer is a free agent, so he'd have to be moved in a S&T. I heard that the Bulls were looking to move Korver as well.

CJ Watson would be another possibility to play backup to Lowry.. however Calderon makes too much money and a simple Korver+Watson for Jose would not work.
        Chicago has already agreed to bring back Hinrich and pair him up with their 1st round pick (Teague). Before the Hinrich announcement, I would have absolutely agreed with you that it would be one of the top fits for Calderon.

I also read earlier this week that they were letting both Brewer and Watson go.

Comment

• Atlanta would be a place that would make a lot of sense for Jose. So would Indiana.

I'm not sure what I would be looking for from those teams. If ATL is looking to make a play for D12 they might consider moving Smith for less than you think to free up space. I wonder if Jose plus DeMar and a future unprotected 1st rounder would do the trick? Of course a contract extension would have to be reached prior to the trade.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Atlanta would be a place that would make a lot of sense for Jose. So would Indiana.

I'm not sure what I would be looking for from those teams. If ATL is looking to make a play for D12 they might consider moving Smith for less than you think to free up space. I wonder if Jose plus DeMar and a future unprotected 1st rounder would do the trick? Of course a contract extension would have to be reached prior to the trade.
            Do you think Atlanta would still be interested in Calderon after picking up Devin Harris, Lou Williams and Jordan Farmar, while still having Teague on their roster?

I was initially thinking Indy, but if they're intent on playing Hill at PG, then they probably don't have much need for Calderon after signing Augustin. If they wanted to move Hill to SG and George to SF, then perhaps Granger becomes available for a package including Calderon...

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Do you think Atlanta would still be interested in Calderon after picking up Devin Harris, Lou Williams and Jordan Farmar, while still having Teague on their roster?

I was initially thinking Indy, but if they're intent on playing Hill at PG, then they probably don't have much need for Calderon after signing Augustin. If they wanted to move Hill to SG and George to SF, then perhaps Granger becomes available for a package including Calderon...
              Ha, ha clearly I need to get caught up. I wasn't busy during the boring month leading up the the draft but since then I've be out of the loop.

Augustin is a one year deal. Hill is used to coming off the bench and I feel he's better suited to that. Calderon would be the perfect quarterback for that exciting team in my opinion.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                In my opinion, the best hope Toronto has of addressing a need via a trade of Calderon is based on four very large IF'S:

1) if Minnesota does not offer the sheet to Batum,
                2) if Portland comes to the conclusion at this point it is best to part ways,
                3) if Batum actually wants to play in Toronto, and
                4) if the Blazers feel Lillard could use a year of getting broke in softly.

So in a nutshell: the only hope I see of Toronto getting anything of real value is through Portland..... although then there is likely an overpaid contract coming back in Batum (please recognize the four if's before roasting me).

Dallas is another interesting proposition (Roddy? Rights to Calathes?) but it would be interesting to see how much cap room they have left when it is all said and done with their amnesty purchases.
                I would certainly jump at Portland (& Batum), but I believe we may have to "sweeten the pot".
                Dallas is very intriguing. As it is, Dallas is lottery bound. I can't see that being a good selling point next year to possibly Howard & Paul: "Come to Dallas & its commitment to winning".
                I can't see BC "just dumping" Jose's contract for TPE.
                I still think he is eyeballing Deng or Iggy & simply playing hardball with Philli & Bulls (With Hinrich, Bulls seem less likely now).
                Would Sacramento be interested in pass first PG? Jose & DD for Evans & 1st? Too optimistic?
                There is always plan B: Trade deadline. An expiring deal has some value.

Comment

• Another possibility here is Orlando.

If the Houston/Orlando trade happens.. Orlando will have Nelson as their primary PG, and he's more of a combo-guard in my opinion. I heard that Houston will be sending a series of draft picks back to Orlando (and possibly the one we gave them for Lowry). That trade would have to wait until the Lin/Asik offer sheets have come off the books so it can take about a week.. but I think we could get involved in that with a 3-way trade and possibly get our Lowry draft pick back from Houston.

Comment

I think we're forgetting about Jose pretty much saying "It's TJ or me" prior to Jose signing his current contract. He wanted to be a starter and so now, here we go again; this time he's not waiting for fee agency. Another athletic PG is added to the mix. One who has also complained about not starting in the past. You have two PG's with the same strong desire to lead and only one can do it in the prominent role. Calderon won't change his mind on this. He's still good enough to earn a starting role on half the teams in the league.
                    If there are 15 GM's who think Jose Calderone could start over their present starter then the Raptors should be expecting something very good back in a trade.

Comment

• Mapko wrote: View Post
                      I would certainly jump at Portland (& Batum), but I believe we may have to "sweeten the pot".
                      Dallas is very intriguing. As it is, Dallas is lottery bound. I can't see that being a good selling point next year to possibly Howard & Paul: "Come to Dallas & its commitment to winning".
                      I can't see BC "just dumping" Jose's contract for TPE.
                      I still think he is eyeballing Deng or Iggy & simply playing hardball with Philli & Bulls (With Hinrich, Bulls seem less likely now).
                      Would Sacramento be interested in pass first PG? Jose & DD for Evans & 1st? Too optimistic?
                      There is always plan B: Trade deadline. An expiring deal has some value.
                      One year removed from a championship?

With a healthy Kaman, pickup of Collison and Jones, amnesty pickup of Brand and/or Scola, Marion still with gas left in the tank, an in shape Dirk, and 3 months to training camp, I think they are going to be alright.

Comment

Atlanta would be a place that would make a lot of sense for Jose. So would Indiana.

The Raps can't offer a 1st round pick in any trade due to the restrictions with Houston.

Comment

The Raps can't offer a 1st round pick in any trade due to the restrictions with Houston.
                          Technically they can offer their 2015 pick. Can't offer 2013 (since it might go to Houston) and 2014 (since you can't send 2 picks in consecutive years).

Comment

Technically they can offer their 2015 pick. Can't offer 2013 (since it might go to Houston) and 2014 (since you can't send 2 picks in consecutive years).
                            I'm not sure if they can offer any outright pick until 2020, which they couldn't offer until next year, since you I think teams can only trade picks up to 7 years in advance. What I was wondering is if they could trade another conditional 1st round pick, which is conditional on the conditions of the pick going to Houston - ie: whenever Houston gets the pick from Toronto, Team X will get a 1st round pick 2 years from that year (if Houston gets 2016 pick, Team X gets 2018 pick).

Comment

The restrictions with Houston go out 5 years and unprotected in year 6.

The only way they can trade a 1st round pick is if the trade is made on draft day and it is known the Raptors will have a 1st round pick. The Raptors will actually have to make the selection and then trade it.

The next 6 years of Raptor draft picks are on ice. They can't even make a trade with a 15-30 stipulation because say it goes lottery in 2014 and then they could make the playoffs in 2015 and would violate league rules of no 1st round pick trade in 2 consecutive seasons.

Comment

The restrictions with Houston go out 5 years and unprotected in year 6.

The only way they can trade a 1st round pick is if the trade is made on draft day and it is known the Raptors will have a 1st round pick. The Raptors will actually have to make the selection and then trade it.

The next 6 years of Raptor draft picks are on ice. They can't even make a trade with a 15-30 stipulation because say it goes lottery in 2014 and then they could make the playoffs in 2015 and would violate league rules of no 1st round pick trade in 2 consecutive seasons.
                                Okay right.. forgot about that aspect of the pick. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X