Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    Jose's going to be a HUGE trade chip come trade deadline time

Not only at the trade deadline but now as well. He is an extremely efficient PG who ranks among the best in assists/turnover ratio and has a really high IQ. I would imagine every team out there that doesn't have a starting pg are looking at Calderon.

However, I do hope we trade Jose NOWW. Immediately, before the Olympics starts. His high propensity of getting injured is amplified by the fact that the will most likely start in this years olympics with Rubio out.

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
      Yeah! Just like Nash said he can't see himself playing for the Lakers?

Dude, it doesnt matter what Batum says...If the Raptors have made a decent pitch...we all know Toronto is a better location for him as compared to Minny...this money wise, future wise etc.

TORONTO is in a better position. Batum probably said that because he heard some promising stuff from Minny Staff. BC pls give his agent a call get a meeting in place. We can talk after
      yeah but he truly believes that Minny are on the brink of playoffs and beyond and he wants to a be a part of that. But saying that I think money for a 23 year old is the most important thing. And he will follow the money.

Comment

teams interested in Jose

No one wants Jose as a backup for 10 mil...Yes he is expiring and that has some value but more so closer to the deadline...But again no one is going into this season hoping to get a backup PG at 10 mil....So who wants Jose as a starter?....when you look around the league who needs a starting PG and would take Jose for 10 mil a year....Perhaps Dallas....Not Indiana they like Hill and are going to run with Hill after matching the deal for Hibbert there is no one Jose at 10 mil is going there....Dallas is the only option and I dont think they want him....BC does want to move him and would probaly take anything for him except a bad contract because why not just let him expire if your getting a bad contract back.....Most likely scenario is he is traded during season...Perhaps a PG gets hurt and then Jose can finally get moved....Personally I would amnesty him because really your not getting anything of value back even at the deadline...he is too overpaid....Use that money sign a back up PG and upgrade the wing (AK47, Mayo please) if Mayo signs move DD to the 3....Then Jose gets to go anywhere on a cheap contract and he will have teams wanting him at 10 mil not so much!....It helps us both instead of our own mini Dwight Howard saga here! I know Jose has not asked for a trade but once he gets 15 min a game he will!

Just please stop kidding yourselves with Jose + ________ + _________ = an all star coming back....NOT HAPPENING!

Comment

Larry Coon just tweeted about Calderon

Larry Coon‏@LarryCoon
          Last I herad, they were going to keep him. RT @Toostressed101: Any logical takers for Jose Calderon? Nice expiring contract.

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
            Colangelo says Jose is upset about the Lowry signing.
            What about him being a great team player who would mentor the young pg of the future?
            If he can't accept his backup role he's gone.
            I personally think Jose has been treated pretty poorly over the last few years despite being nothing but a complete professional and the exact attitude fans seems to wish more players had

- willingly gave up the starter role to TJ (on a contract year) to help the team
            - played through injuries (rightly or wrongly) in a losing season in hopes of making the playoffs
            - took the back up role to Jarret Jack with no complaints
            - took the botched trade with Charlotte without making a fuss
            - one of the few players who would stand up for himself
            - never complains about the quality of the team, goes out and tries day in and day out

Now he's had to deal with amnesty rumours, trade rumours (again), and Colangelo's plan A and plan B being replacing him (or atleast replacing him as a starter)? Eventually enough has to be enough.

And here we are supposedly changing the 'culture' of the team yet Colangelo is treating one of the hardest working, intelligent, dedicated, toughest (yes I said it), and productive players on the team like an after thought? Exactly what 'culture change' is going on here?

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              I personally think Jose has been treated pretty poorly over the last few years despite being nothing but a complete professional and the exact attitude fans seems to wish more players had

- willingly gave up the starter role to TJ (on a contract year) to help the team
              - played through injuries (rightly or wrongly) in a losing season in hopes of making the playoffs
              - took the back up role to Jarret Jack with no complaints
              - took the botched trade with Charlotte without making a fuss
              - one of the few players who would stand up for himself
              - never complains about the quality of the team, goes out and tries day in and day out

Now he's had to deal with amnesty rumours, trade rumours (again), and Colangelo's plan A and plan B being replacing him (or atleast replacing him as a starter)? Eventually enough has to be enough.

And here we are supposedly changing the 'culture' of the team yet Colangelo is treating one of the hardest working, intelligent, dedicated, toughest (yes I said it), and productive players on the team like an after thought? Exactly what 'culture change' is going on here?
              That's right. Here are my thoughts on Jose's situation I posted in Lowry's thread:

I don't even see why there is a discussion on this. We should not trade Jose Calderon, plain and simple. For the past couple of years, he's simply the heart and soul of this team. We got a new starting PG without giving him up, I don't see why we would try to trade him now. If there's one starting caliber point guard who will accept his role as a backup, it's Jose Calderon. And that's a great backup, even at 10M. I say keep him, and give him an extension. Lowry and Calderon, what a great duo!

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                That's right. Here are my thoughts on Jose's situation I posted in Lowry's thread:

I don't even see why there is a discussion on this. We should not trade Jose Calderon, plain and simple. For the past couple of years, he's simply the heart and soul of this team. We got a new starting PG without giving him up, I don't see why we would try to trade him now. If there's one starting caliber point guard who will accept his role as a backup, it's Jose Calderon. And that's a great backup, even at 10M. I say keep him, and give him an extension. Lowry and Calderon, what a great duo!
                You trade him to acquire an asset (or two) before Calderon signs elsewhere.

Comment

And because trades are the best way for the Raptors to get players, because nobody is going to sign here until they start winning. Sure, its great having a good backup pg, but he'l only be playing like 20 mins per game. Why not acquire some assets for him?

Comment

How can you not see how there is a discussion?

I love Jose, great pro, and will probably receive a huge ovation one day when he makes his return and/or retires. At the same time, WE HAVE NEVER BEEN .500 WITH HIM AS A STARTER. I am not blaming him at all, I am simply saying that the mix of players that we have supplied him with in the past and will be supplying him with in the present has not and will not produce a playoff team.

At the same time, sending him to a team like Portland, Philly, Memphis, etc. has a better chance to make him a winner, while allowing us to maximize on his value and improve at position which we need.

We can sign a guy like CJ Watson for much cheaper and get enough value there without having to deal with the controversy.

We all love Jose, but its time...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      You trade him to acquire an asset (or two) before Calderon signs elsewhere.
                      What are these assets you be talking about? And why would Jose sign elsewhere? It's been years since he's been waiting for this moment, when the Toronto Raptors, his only NBA team, comes back to respectability. I would do everything to have him back with a cheaper contract. If the thing is to get a star SF (Gay, Iggy, Granger, Deng) then go for it. But chances are pretty slim.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                        How can you not see how there is a discussion?

I love Jose, great pro, and will probably receive a huge ovation one day when he makes his return and/or retires. At the same time, WE HAVE NEVER BEEN .500 WITH HIM AS A STARTER. I am not blaming him at all, I am simply saying that the mix of players that we have supplied him with in the past and will be supplying him with in the present has not and will not produce a playoff team.

At the same time, sending him to a team like Portland, Philly, Memphis, etc. has a better chance to make him a winner, while allowing us to maximize on his value and improve at position which we need.

We can sign a guy like CJ Watson for much cheaper and get enough value there without having to deal with the controversy.

We all love Jose, but its time...
                        Not entirely true. The team was 7-1 in 06/07 with him as a starter and 28-28 in 07/08 with him as a starter, although I'm assuming you mean entire seasons.

But ofcourse if we look at this team in that sense, Bargnani and Derozan should be on the trading block as this team has never been .500 with them as starters either

Comment

What are these assets you be talking about? And why would Jose sign elsewhere? It's been years since he's been waiting for this moment, when the Toronto Raptors, his only NBA team, comes back to respectability. I would do everything to have him back with a cheaper contract. If the thing is to get a star SF (Gay, Iggy, Granger, Deng) then go for it. But chances are pretty slim.
                          Both Casey and Colangelo have indicated that Calderon isn't happy about the Lowry acquisition. Why are you so sure Calderon wants to stay here? Going into a contract year, I don't think he's pleased about coming off the bench. He's now auditioning for his next contract, which is hard to do playing 15-20 mpg.

Even getting a 2nd round pick (like in the Barbosa trade) would be better than losing Calderon for nothing.

Comment

Never mind the culture thing. This is his contract year and much depends on how he does this year (incl. his stats) so he can get a last decent contract. Apart from being pegged as a backup it looks like his stats arent going to look gaudy with the mins. he is going to get. I cannot blame him. I do hope BC can find him another spot with a playoff team which is probably the only way he can drive his value up...by performing well in the playoffs.

Comment

Sorry about the duplication of thoughts !!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                                Never mind the culture thing. This is his contract year and much depends on how he does this year (incl. his stats) so he can get a last decent contract. Apart from being pegged as a backup it looks like his stats arent going to look gaudy with the mins. he is going to get. I cannot blame him. I do hope BC can find him another spot with a playoff team which is probably the only way he can drive his value up...by performing well in the playoffs.
                                I understand that he'll want to show his skills in a contract year, but there aren't that many teams in the league that needs a starting PG next season, and that could afford a $10M salary.

Here are the teams that could quite possibly need a starting PG:

Chicago - with Rose out for most of the year.
                                Houston - if they lose Lin (and Dragic goes to Phoenix)
                                NY - if they don't match Lin (but don't have the money or trade assets then)
                                Miami - Don't have money
                                NO - Probably want to give Rivers a lot of minutes
                                Orlando - Don't have money, and have crap players that I wouldn't want on TO
                                Portland - Drafted Lillard who they may want to give a lot of minutes too
                                Utah - Don't have money, and the assets they have don't really help TO out (unless Hayward is on the market)

So if we traded Jose, it would be to a team that wants a good quality backup. In that case why not just keep him in Toronto for a year?

I don't think Jose will be in demand like he may have been last year. Too many teams have their starting PG now, and it will make it harder for BC to make a good trade. The only reason I'd want to trade Jose now would be for a quality SF like Gay or Iggy or possibly Deng. Otherwise I'd be happy to have him as a backup to Lowry. He's professional enough that I don't think it would bug him too much. Plus knowing BC, he'd get a good extension anyway if he stayed in Toronto after next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X