Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craiger wrote: View Post
    Colangelo says nothings, fans think its a good idea - "keep things close to his chest"
    Colangelo says something, fans think its a good idea - "we want to know whats going on"
    Colangelo says everything is all sugar cubes and gumdrops, fans think everything is good - "the GM thinks everything is going well so the team is in good shape"

Conclusion: Colangelo can't do anything wrong with a good portion of the Raptor fan base

it works both ways... especially when you lump different people with differing opinions all into the same boat.

Still doesn't address my question. Why did Colangelo make this public?

Fair enough.

Do you think it would not become public knowledge through rumours and 'sources'?

What better way to deal with a problem such as this than acknowledge it publicly and deal with it privately? There has been very little mention of this since Colangelo made his statement and Calderon's agent confirmed they were looking to find a suitable situation for Calderon and the Raptors - no gossip, no shady dealings.

By Colangelo taking the route he has the winds have been taken out of the sails of the gossip mongers. The Raptors already had a starting point guard and they just went and got another one that fits the new direction of the franchise to a tee. As soon as he calls a team about a trade he is going to be at a disadvantage - especially since he has been calling teams about Calderon for 3 years.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Fair enough.

Do you think it would not become public knowledge through rumours and 'sources'?

What better way to deal with a problem such as this than acknowledge it publicly and deal with it privately? There has been very little mention of this since Colangelo made his statement and Calderon's agent confirmed they were looking to find a suitable situation for Calderon and the Raptors - no gossip, no shady dealings.

By Colangelo taking the route he has the winds have been taken out of the sails of the gossip mongers. The Raptors already had a starting point guard and they just went and got another one that fits the new direction of the franchise to a tee. As soon as he calls a team about a trade he is going to be at a disadvantage - especially since he has been calling teams about Calderon for 3 years.

so using that train of thought, players should also always publically talk about their displeasures and demands?

Comment

so using that train of thought, players should also always publically talk about their displeasures and demands?
        I think publicly coming out would certainly be a lot better than the situations in Denver/Carmelo and currently in Orlando/Dwight.

Lowry voiced his displeasure and the situation was quickly resolved - even when HOU was not certain to have a PG (which they currently do not).

You notice players don't always come out? 2004/05 had a number of players seeking trades publicly to the detriment of their teams (VC being the headliner). Players publicly seeking trades now face fines of $25K.

Comment

I think publicly coming out would certainly be a lot better than the situations in Denver/Carmelo and currently in Orlando/Dwight.

Lowry voiced his displeasure and the situation was quickly resolved - even when HOU was not certain to have a PG (which they currently do not).

You notice players don't always come out? 2004/05 had a number of players seeking trades publicly to the detriment of their teams (VC being the headliner). Players publicly seeking trades now face fines of $25K.

So when players come out its to the 'detriment' of their teams, but when GMs do its a positive route to take because it helps control 'gossip and shady dealings'? Sure seems like a double standard to me

Both the Denver and Orlando situations was played out publically. I don't remember who initiated it, but it has led to no shortage of gossip, rumours, shady dealings and bad will towards both parties.

Comment

So when players come out its to the 'detriment' of their teams, but when GMs do its a positive route to take because it helps control 'gossip and shady dealings'? Sure seems like a double standard to me

Both the Denver and Orlando situations was played out publically. I don't remember who initiated it, but it has led to no shortage of gossip, rumours, shady dealings and bad will towards both parties.
            Colangelo simply confirmed what was already out there: Jose was less than happy that a new starter was acquired. BC was NOT the first one to put that idea out there. There was already talk of him "welcoming a trade" well before that BC interview.

Not a big deal/blown out of proportion.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Sure seems like you've already made up your mind and I wasted pixels in response so you could further purse your argument against any or all counter arguments.

Why has Denver and Orlando played out so publicly? Carmelo and no one in Denver publicly addressed the situation and it has been the same in Orlando. Who initiated it? Come on, seriously? Really? Who wanted out of Denver and who wants out of Orlando? Who do you think initiated it all?

This is an old lockout topic but players are employees. It is not their right to sabotage the company. If management chooses a course of action then one would have to assume they are doing so in what they perceive to be in the best interests of the company. You might not agree but you aren't getting paid to agree or make the decision in the first place.

Maybe you are too young to remember but years ago Frank Gifford and Kathy Lee-Gifford fought rumours published in the National Enquirer that he had been unfaithful. The Gifford's fought back saying it was not true. The Enquirer said, "Umm, yeah they are and if you don't fess up we'll prove it." The Gifford's called them out again. Next issue: photos of Frankie at the local hour rate motel with a huge tittied blonde. The story then become national news - not just tabloid fodder - and the Gifford's look pretty silly. Moral of the story: with controversy on the horizon, deal with it on your own terms publicly before someone else is able to spin it to your detriment.

Comment

• Toronto trade Calderon + James Johnson + Ed Davis to the Wolves for Derrick Williams + Luke Ridnour

Derrick Williams has lost its favorite for the Wolves since they just acquired Batum who will be starting for them. We get an unpolished star in the making player in Derrick Williams who could turn to be a poor man's Shawn Marion or Danny Granger in his prime beside we get Luke Ridnour who will be a great backup for Lowry.

Comment

• Sure seems like you've already made up your mind and I wasted pixels in response so you could further purse your argument against any or all counter arguments.

Why has Denver and Orlando played out so publicly? Carmelo and no one in Denver publicly addressed the situation and it has been the same in Orlando. Who initiated it? Come on, seriously? Really? Who wanted out of Denver and who wants out of Orlando? Who do you think initiated it all?

This is an old lockout topic but players are employees. It is not their right to sabotage the company. If management chooses a course of action then one would have to assume they are doing so in what they perceive to be in the best interests of the company. You might not agree but you aren't getting paid to agree or make the decision in the first place.

Maybe you are too young to remember but years ago Frank Gifford and Kathy Lee-Gifford fought rumours published in the National Enquirer that he had been unfaithful. The Gifford's fought back saying it was not true. The Enquirer said, "Umm, yeah they are and if you don't fess up we'll prove it." The Gifford's called them out again. Next issue: photos of Frankie at the local hour rate motel with a huge tittied blonde. The story then become national news - not just tabloid fodder - and the Gifford's look pretty silly. Moral of the story: with controversy on the horizon, deal with it on your own terms publicly before someone else is able to spin it to your detriment.
                  Did you really think creating a double standard would change my opinion on the subject? Your right that you wasted pixels if you did.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                    Toronto trade Calderon + James Johnson + Ed Davis to the Wolves for Derrick Williams + Luke Ridnour

Derrick Williams has lost its favorite for the Wolves since they just acquired Batum who will be starting for them. We get an unpolished star in the making player in Derrick Williams who could turn to be a poor man's Shawn Marion or Danny Granger in his prime beside we get Luke Ridnour who will be a great backup for Lowry.
                    I would do this in a heartbeat, sadly the Wolves would not. They're not interested in taking back more salary, especially while they're trying to sign Batum. Wouldn't happen, but like I said...wish it did!
                    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

Did you really think creating a double standard would change my opinion on the subject? Your right that you wasted pixels if you did.
                      Game. Set. Match. - lol

Hopefully more open minded readers can gain possible insight whether they agree or not. It seems the lesson D12 and Melo have failed to learn may also be applicable in this situation.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                        Colangelo simply confirmed what was already out there: Jose was less than happy that a new starter was acquired. BC was NOT the first one to put that idea out there. There was already talk of him "welcoming a trade" well before that BC interview.

Not a big deal/blown out of proportion.
                        +1

Imagine if Carmelo or Dwight had just said, "I would not object to a trade." when asked direct questions. Of course, they also want to pick the team and the terms in which they are traded there as well but that is another story.

Comment

+1

Imagine if Carmelo or Dwight had just said, "I would not object to a trade." when asked direct questions. Of course, they also want to pick the team and the terms in which they are traded there as well but that is another story.

Am I one of the few people that has an opinion, and when one has an opinion different than mine I consider their argument, check their facts, and approach it from the view of...what if they are right?...even if I land back on my own now stronger more informed opinion. Check the egos at the door people.

Players like Carmelo, Howard, Bosh etc....are ruining the game with their prima donna bullshit acts.

GMs...if your superstar won't immediately sign an extension...follow the Utah/Denver route and milk another team for all their worth. Denver is actually a better team now without Carmelo
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• pillowmint wrote: View Post
                            I would do this in a heartbeat, sadly the Wolves would not. They're not interested in taking back more salary, especially while they're trying to sign Batum. Wouldn't happen, but like I said...wish it did!
                            Calderon is an expiring contract though, and they do need a capable big man off the bench behind K. Love, and James Johnson would back-up Batum.

I could see them pulling this off, since they are in a win now mode, Calderon, JJ, and Ed D. could all be capable contributors off the bench for Minnesota. It works for Minnesota quite nicely if I may..

Minnesota:
                            PG - Ricky Rubio/Barea*/Calderon
                            SG - Barea*/Johnson
                            SF - Batum/Budinger/Johnson*
                            PF - Love/Davis/Johnson*
                            C - Pekovic

Toronto:
                            PG - Lowry/Ridnour/Uzoh
                            SG - Derozan/Ross/Anderson
                            SF - Fields/D. Williams/Kleiza
                            PF - Bargnani/A. Johnson
                            C - Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                              Am I one of the few people that has an opinion, and when one has an opinion different than mine I consider their argument, check their facts, and approach it from the view of...what if they are right?...even if I land back on my own now stronger more informed opinion. Check the egos at the door people.

Players like Carmelo, Howard, Bosh etc....are ruining the game with their prima donna bullshit acts.

GMs...if your superstar won't immediately sign an extension...follow the Utah/Denver route and milk another team for all their worth. Denver is actually a better team now without Carmelo
                              I would like to think I take that approach.

I believe you were the one who made me change my tune on AI.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                                Toronto trade Calderon + James Johnson + Ed Davis to the Wolves for Derrick Williams + Luke Ridnour

It's funny that you brought that up, because I posted a trade idea in the trade forum similar to that, which sent Davis and JJ to Minny, while flipping Calderon and Williams to Philly, to end up with Toronto acquiring Iguodala and Ridnour.
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sat Jul 14, 2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X