Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its going to be funny when he gets flipped for a second rounder and the board spontaneously combusts
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• The board would probably start an army and call for BC's head

Comment

• It would create an exception, they could use cap space plus absorb the difference in jOse's salary while keeping any other exceptions of which they have a number.

Comment

• And the TPE is too Small to take Jose.

Comment

• Should be interesting. I'm a little worried Bryan will do the "classy thing" and say that since jose was such an asset to the organization, we traded him to a good team for a second round pick/exception. He is still a valuable player on our team or a valuable-ish trade chip later on. You'd like to think more could be done. There was mention in the JJ thread of a tweet saying the raps "aggressively seeking a trade for a SF". They've been doing that for a year now. I'll be surprised if that means something new

Comment

• Marc Stein: Toronto, tho, keeps telling Calderon no amnesty Twitter

Comment

• Dallas has signed OJ Mayo:
                http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

This could also mean less room for Dallas to acquire Jose without giving any salary back. I have a feeling that Jose to Dallas talks will die after this move.

I'm still thinking Utah is the perfect spot for him.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Dallas has signed OJ Mayo:
                  http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

This could also mean less room for Dallas to acquire Jose without giving any salary back. I have a feeling that Jose to Dallas talks will die after this move.

I'm still thinking Utah is the perfect spot for him.
                  They could still acquire Calderon if they do it as part of a Terry S&T to Boston, maybe with Carter also going out (he's definitely expendable after signing Mayo). If Terry gets $5M, that would be roughly $8M going out and $10.6M coming in, which almost works under the "(salary out * 1.25) + 100,000" cap trade rule.

Perhaps something like this:

To Boston
                  - Terry (S&T)

To Dallas
                  - Calderon

To Minny
                  - Carter

To Toronto
                  - Ridnour

--> if Toronto gave Minny the $2M needed to pay Carter's buyout and perhaps a 2nd round pick (their own or Sacramento's), maybe they could also get a 1st round pick from Minny (Minny has their own 1st round pick in 2013 and gets Memphis' 1st round pick if it's not in the lottery)???

--> thinking one step further, a trade of Amir & 1st round pick (acquired from Minny) to Philly for Iggy would work, with regards to salary cap (they could also give whichever 2nd round pick doesn't go to Minny and the rights to Zubcic)... a new $8.7M TPE would be generated from the trade for Philly - Amir & 1st round pick & 2nd round pick & Zubcic & $8.7M TPE is a pretty good return for Iggy, IMO

--> net effect would be Calderon (10.6) + Johnson (6) + Johnson (2.8) going out (19.4M), with Iguodala (14.7) + Ridnour (4) coming in (18.7M)... Toronto actually saves $0.7M after the three trades
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    It would create an exception, they could use cap space plus absorb the difference in jOse's salary while keeping any other exceptions of which they have a number.
                    I hope BryCo gets run out of town if Jose is traded and all we basically get is a TPE.

TPEs have not helped us much in the past and there is nothing to suggest it will be different next time.

Comment

• I'd just keep him for the year. Let the cap space come off next season (when we need to make a decision on DeRozan). Unless a hell of a trade comes along keeping him makes sense.
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                        I'd just keep him for the year. Let the cap space come off next season (when we need to make a decision on DeRozan). Unless a hell of a trade comes along keeping him makes sense.
                        That's where I'm leaning too. Only trade Jose if we can use the cap space or his expiring contract to land a SF like Gay, Iggy, Deng or Smith. Otherwise just hold on to him for a year.

Comment

I'd just keep him for the year. Let the cap space come off next season (when we need to make a decision on DeRozan). Unless a hell of a trade comes along keeping him makes sense.
                          I agree.

The only dent in this plan would be "if" Calderon plays the diva card and becomes a cancer in the locker room. But the odds of that happening are slim to none.

Comment

I agree 100% with this, but it is not so simple. There are only 48 minutes a night to be played at the PG spot. Each of these guys want starters minutes (they are both starting quality), but Lowry is our true starter right now. Managing their minutes is impossible if both guys want big minutes. Now, Jose is in a position very similar to Ray Allen's position. He is on a team that has tried to trade him (or amnesty him) while a younger guy has taken his starting spot. The only difference is that Jose does not control his fate. Obviously it is easy to say "Jose should just come of the bench with bench minutes and we can have a deep pg spot + expiring contract", but, after the way we treated Jose, I doubt he is open to spending his last high quality year(s) coming off the bench for an average (or below average) team in the east. What makes this situation way more complicated is Lowry's contract. His contract is going to be up sooner then later, and he very well could walk. How would a point guard controversy help in persuading him to resign?

Comment

• I don't know if I fully agree with you are not...you make some good points. I will say if there is a person with the character to suck it up and do his best for the year its Jose.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
                                Toronto, as promised, would not amnesty Calderon. Charlotte decided NOT to amnesty Diop and Denver chose not to amnesty Birdman Andersen
                                The Raptors did not invoke the amnesty provision for Calderon. I think that's very good. If he is not traded, he will be an excellent complement to Lowry, and the Raps would be very deep and talented at PG.

Comment

Working...
                                X