Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is the interest in Calderon coming from? In the last couple of days several teams have made deals addressing their point guard needs (Mavs, Pacers, Bobcats).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to say there's a 97.3% chance we don't get anything better than a 2nd round pick and/or a TPE back.

Hoping for anything better is just setting ourselves up for HUGE disappointment.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If they trade jose, then they trade jose. All i'm sayin is that Lowry better learn to be a facillitator cuz, there's a few players that are gonna need that ball in certain places, places where jose knows. Also, the 2nd unit might go to shits without a reliable pg.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the best hope Toronto has of addressing a need via a trade of Calderon is based on four very large IF'S:

1) if Minnesota does not offer the sheet to Batum,
    2) if Portland comes to the conclusion at this point it is best to part ways,
    3) if Batum actually wants to play in Toronto, and
    4) if the Blazers feel Lillard could use a year of getting broke in softly.

So in a nutshell: the only hope I see of Toronto getting anything of real value is through Portland..... although then there is likely an overpaid contract coming back in Batum (please recognize the four if's before roasting me).

Dallas is another interesting proposition (Roddy? Rights to Calathes?) but it would be interesting to see how much cap room they have left when it is all said and done with their amnesty purchases.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Jul 13th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
    If they trade jose, then they trade jose. All i'm sayin is that Lowry better learn to be a facillitator cuz, there's a few players that are gonna need that ball in certain places, places where jose knows. Also, the 2nd unit might go to shits without a reliable pg.
    Doesn't this imply that our 2nd unit is good?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    When it comes to Toronto absolutely.

He is right on the pick though, a first round draft pick is not coming back.
    Exactly .. people need to wake up. No way we are getting a first ruonder. Our options are amnesty (we pay his salary and get nothign except cap relief) or trade for next to nothing (ie TPE, maybe 2nd rounder) .. in which case we dont pay his salary, but still get cap relief. Isnt option 2 better than option 1 people?

Im continually dumbfounded that people miss the connection between someone's contract and their value. Is Jose a solid NBA player? Yes, absolutely. But, at $10mm+, no nobody wants him.

Is the same with Fields. Is he a good addition at 3 yrs, $10 mm .. yes, for sure. But, at 3 yrs $20 mm hes vastly overpaid ..

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Calathes was unspectacular last week in the Olympic qualifier in Venezuela, 7 ppg, 3 apg, and 2 turnovers per game. Spanoulis was the star of the Greek team at the point guard position, 19.3 ppg, 5.7 apg, and 1.7 turnovers per game.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Calathes was unspectacular last week in the Olympic qualifier in Venezuela, 7 ppg, 3 apg, and 2 turnovers per game. Spanoulis was the star of the Greek team at the point guard position, 19.3 ppg, 5.7 apg, and 1.7 turnovers per game.
    Fair enough but Spanoulis is 30 and Calathes turned 23 in February.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm going to say there's a 97.3% chance we don't get anything better than a 2nd round pick and/or a TPE back.

Hoping for anything better is just setting ourselves up for HUGE disappointment.
    100% correct

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Says here he'd "welcome a trade".
    http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...elcomes-trade/

I didn't expect him to like the Lowry deal. The guy has put up with some shit lately. I just hope we get something with some relevance for him. Sick of these unused TPE's.
    When we first heard about them we were all like "wow great" and now we realize that they barely ever get used and when they do its for something completely negligible.

Jose has enough value that we should get a legit starting SF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    Basically Apollo agreed with me...or at least I think so I can't tell. And I hope everyone stops whining about Joses treatment, who cares he's just an asset (was my point).
    What I'm saying is let's cut through the b.s. We don't need to validate Colangelo by putting Jose's game down. He's a good player but if he doesn't fit anymore, he doesn't fit. Times change. Just trade him already. I don't care about his scouting report. We all know what he is.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose and pieces for Collison and Marion would be intriguing.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope cooler heads prevail and that the Raptors offer Jose a $16-18M 4-year extension when teams can extend players.

The fourth year may be too much but I think it would be a nice gesture from the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard to guess what Calderon's trade value is and whether BC is looking to include him in a package deal (ie: for Iggy) or in a deal on his own. One of the hurdles is that there are so few teams that need a starting PG.

Dallas - has Collison, but I question whether he's ready to be a lead PG for a veteran 'win now' team, especially after losing his starting job with Indy last year, to a guy who isn't even a true PG

Houston - one big cluster***k, who knows what players they'll ultimately end up with, but the only PGs on their roster are Douglas & Fortson (who have both been rumored to be cut to faciliate a trade for Howard) and I haven't read any rumors that mention a PG coming back in a potential Howard trade

New Orleans - only Rivers and Vasquez on their roster now, with big chunk of cap space likely going to be used to match offer for Gordon

After those 3 teams, the only other viable options I see are teams that have young PG (ie: Portland) who may like a veteran backup for a single season... that is a much larger list to nail down as to which ones might actually have interest and/or cap space

----

If Toronto goes the route of trading Calderon on his own and is adament about not taking a bad/useless contract back, Minny could be an interesting team to use as a 3rd team to help faciliate a trade. Toronto could trade Calderon to team #1 that has no cap space, which sends a player to Minny, who in turns sends Webster & Miller to Toronto (both non-guaranteed contracts). The total buyout for those 2 players is roughly $1.5M (team #1 could conceivably send cash to Toronto to pay for the buyouts).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I hope cooler heads prevail and that the Raptors offer Jose a $16-18M 4-year extension when teams can extend players.

The fourth year may be too much but I think it would be a nice gesture from the Raptors.
    I think a lot of people here would go for that but don't think Jose would be one of them.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's really hard to guess what Calderon's trade value is and whether BC is looking to include him in a package deal (ie: for Iggy) or in a deal on his own. One of the hurdles is that there are so few teams that need a starting PG.

Dallas - has Collison, but I question whether he's ready to be a lead PG for a veteran 'win now' team, especially after losing his starting job with Indy last year, to a guy who isn't even a true PG

Houston - one big cluster***k, who knows what players they'll ultimately end up with, but the only PGs on their roster are Douglas & Fortson (who have both been rumored to be cut to faciliate a trade for Howard) and I haven't read any rumors that mention a PG coming back in a potential Howard trade

New Orleans - only Rivers and Vasquez on their roster now, with big chunk of cap space likely going to be used to match offer for Gordon

After those 3 teams, the only other viable options I see are teams that have young PG (ie: Portland) who may like a veteran backup for a single season... that is a much larger list to nail down as to which ones might actually have interest and/or cap space

----

If Toronto goes the route of trading Calderon on his own and is adament about not taking a bad/useless contract back, Minny could be an interesting team to use as a 3rd team to help faciliate a trade. Toronto could trade Calderon to team #1 that has no cap space, which sends a player to Minny, who in turns sends Webster & Miller to Toronto (both non-guaranteed contracts). The total buyout for those 2 players is roughly $1.5M (team #1 could conceivably send cash to Toronto to pay for the buyouts).

If Jose is unhappy with the idea that he won't be starting, then the only trades I can see are to teams that would want a starter not a backup. Houston makes sense, but cap space is precious to them or else they would not have amnestied Scola.

The team I keep coming back to is Chicago. Without Rose that team is going to be in trouble. Jose can be put into the starters spot for one year basically which is perfect since he's an expiring. I'd like to trade for Deng, but if he's off limits then perhaps we can get Korver & Brewer for Jose (and possibly a 2nd rounder).

Korver is an excellent 3 point shooter, and is a pure SF. Brewer can be really good on defense.. and both are expiring after the year. Brewer is a free agent, so he'd have to be moved in a S&T. I heard that the Bulls were looking to move Korver as well.

CJ Watson would be another possibility to play backup to Lowry.. however Calderon makes too much money and a simple Korver+Watson for Jose would not work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post

I think we're forgetting about Jose pretty much saying "It's TJ or me" prior to Jose signing his current contract. He wanted to be a starter and so now, here we go again; this time he's not waiting for fee agency. Another athletic PG is added to the mix. One who has also complained about not starting in the past. You have two PG's with the same strong desire to lead and only one can do it in the prominent role. Calderon won't change his mind on this. He's still good enough to earn a starting role on half the teams in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    If Jose is unhappy with the idea that he won't be starting, then the only trades I can see are to teams that would want a starter not a backup. Houston makes sense, but cap space is precious to them or else they would not have amnestied Scola.

The team I keep coming back to is Chicago. Without Rose that team is going to be in trouble. Jose can be put into the starters spot for one year basically which is perfect since he's an expiring. I'd like to trade for Deng, but if he's off limits then perhaps we can get Korver & Brewer for Jose (and possibly a 2nd rounder).

Korver is an excellent 3 point shooter, and is a pure SF. Brewer can be really good on defense.. and both are expiring after the year. Brewer is a free agent, so he'd have to be moved in a S&T. I heard that the Bulls were looking to move Korver as well.

CJ Watson would be another possibility to play backup to Lowry.. however Calderon makes too much money and a simple Korver+Watson for Jose would not work.
    Chicago has already agreed to bring back Hinrich and pair him up with their 1st round pick (Teague). Before the Hinrich announcement, I would have absolutely agreed with you that it would be one of the top fits for Calderon.

I also read earlier this week that they were letting both Brewer and Watson go.

Post Thanks / Like

Atlanta would be a place that would make a lot of sense for Jose. So would Indiana.

I'm not sure what I would be looking for from those teams. If ATL is looking to make a play for D12 they might consider moving Smith for less than you think to free up space. I wonder if Jose plus DeMar and a future unprotected 1st rounder would do the trick? Of course a contract extension would have to be reached prior to the trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Atlanta would be a place that would make a lot of sense for Jose. So would Indiana.

I'm not sure what I would be looking for from those teams. If ATL is looking to make a play for D12 they might consider moving Smith for less than you think to free up space. I wonder if Jose plus DeMar and a future unprotected 1st rounder would do the trick? Of course a contract extension would have to be reached prior to the trade.
    Do you think Atlanta would still be interested in Calderon after picking up Devin Harris, Lou Williams and Jordan Farmar, while still having Teague on their roster?

I was initially thinking Indy, but if they're intent on playing Hill at PG, then they probably don't have much need for Calderon after signing Augustin. If they wanted to move Hill to SG and George to SF, then perhaps Granger becomes available for a package including Calderon...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information