Let's play "what if". The theme is Chris Bosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's play "what if". The theme is Chris Bosh

What if Tim Legler's comments are right?

-ESPN’s Tim Legler went on the record to say that Chris Bosh would definitely be traded before the deadline.
    Sprung On Sports

And what if the best deal for the Raptors turns out to be Bosh for Bynum and it happens?

Where do the Raptors land in the second half of the season and beyond? Does it make a guy like Hedo Turkoglu play better because he would suddenly be playing with a face up PF and a low post center, similar (only the poor man's version) to Howard and Lewis? Who then becomes the leader of the team? How do you feel such a deal would work for the Raptors?

Important note: This thread is not about debating IF Bosh gets moved, there are already enough thread about that. This thread is about what if Bosh gets traded. What happens to the team? Discuss.

If we're playing the what-if game I don't want an injury-riddled centre. I'd rather trade Bosh/POB for Gallinari/Lee/Jeffries. Sure we're in the same conference but we need to improve our team.

If we did end up with Bynum (Lakers won't do it btw, Bynum+Gasol works better than Bosh+Gasol) AND Bynum stays healthy (we're playing the what-if game right?) then yes I'd assume Hedo would work better in that lineup.

Right now there are 3 players that need the ball in their hands to be effective: Bosh, Hedo, and Jose. If you take out Bosh and have Jose coming off the pine, then Hedo has a lot more room to operate. Plus he can just throw lob passes to Bynum all day.

Comment

What IF... we trade Bosh for Bynum?

-Answer: I think we'd be okay after next season. Losing Bosh's productivity and acclimating Bynum (and his poor work ethic reputation) would kill our playoff chances this year. But I think Andrea would (hopefully) continue to elevate his game and our interior defence could be improved with a motivated Bynum guarding the paint.

What IF... the Lakers rescind their said offer and Bynum for Bosh is off the table?

-Answer: I think we'd have to keep Bosh for the remainder of the season because we'd get back better pieces this summer in a sign-&-trade.
      RR OG

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
        If we did end up with Bynum (Lakers won't do it btw, Bynum+Gasol works better than Bosh+Gasol) AND Bynum stays healthy (we're playing the what-if game right?) then yes I'd assume Hedo would work better in that lineup.
        How are you so sure that the Lakers wouldn't do something like that? Some writers are saying they would do it and I don't know about you but they have far more NBA connections than my count of zero.

Comment

I have yet to see basketball related reasoning as to why/how a Bosh & Gasol frontcourt is better than a Bynum & Gasol one. Mobility is the only factor I can comeup with unless the Lakers are worried about Bynum's longevity (knees).

Comment

Why do you feel Bynum is so great in the paint? His performances are all over the map and he has questions about his work ethic. Bosh brings stability and maturity to the paint. He would also be a perfect fit for the triangle offense.

Comment

Although this is getting off-topic, I remember reading somewhere that Triangle Offense is used a LOT in Europe. If the Raptors have so many European players, a lot of them are undoubtedly used to it or at least know of it, so if Bosh will flourish in the system, why not try and implement it here? I do understand that the learning curve is steep, but assuming Bosh doesn't return next year, will Triangle Offense be a better choice than the PnR considering Bargnani will be our main pick?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                How are you so sure that the Lakers wouldn't do something like that? Some writers are saying they would do it and I don't know about you but they have far more NBA connections than my count of zero.
                The trade rumour was started by Peter Vecsey, who is called by his fellow reporters, "the king of bogus rumors" ~ Austin Burton, Dime Magazine.

In Vecsey's article reporting the potential trade he states, "A Lakers source told me the team ... planned to target the possible acquisition of Chris Bosh when it got closer to the 3 p.m. Feb 18 trade deadline..." Great, so his source tells him the Lakers are planning to do this.

He then goes onto say, "My source believes the Lakers will off Andrew Bynum for Bosh (if they haven't done so already)..." Okay, so his source thinks they'll offer Bynum but doesn't know whether or not they've proposed the trade yet.

Then Vecsey reveals that Bynum is a BYC player - this means ANY trade including Bynum will be difficult to make and would need a third facilitating team under the cap. So how do the Lakers exactly plan on moving Bynum for Bosh? Vecsey basically just discredited his own source.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...PGi1gsgGsfES9M

I'm not saying I have more NBA connections than these NBA writers. But writers, especially for the NY Post, are paid to sell stories. They take something that may have the tiniest fraction of truth in it and run with it to make some big headline.

So just because writers say that a team may do something does not mean that a team actually wants to do it. Not to mention the fact that the Lakers would then have to resign Bosh to the max if they wanted to keep him past this season. As opposed to the cheaper and developing Bynum.
                Last edited by Marz; Wed Jan 27, 2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

What if we could trade Bosh for Kobe, Gasl, and Bynum. Would u do it?
                  Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

detour wrote: View Post
                    Although this is getting off-topic, I remember reading somewhere that Triangle Offense is used a LOT in Europe. If the Raptors have so many European players, a lot of them are undoubtedly used to it or at least know of it, so if Bosh will flourish in the system, why not try and implement it here? I do understand that the learning curve is steep, but assuming Bosh doesn't return next year, will Triangle Offense be a better choice than the PnR considering Bargnani will be our main pick?
                    The team can only run what Jay is competent and confident in running. Jay will only run what Colangelo wants him to run... Well to the degree that the style has to fit the system Colangelo wants. I think the Raptors have two strikes right there against using the triangle offense. Then there's the question why make a change mid-season when your offense is top five?

Marz wrote: View Post
                    The trade rumour was started by Peter Vecsey, who is called by his fellow reporters, "the king of bogus rumors" ~ Austin Burton, Dime Magazine.

In Vecsey's article reporting the potential trade he states, "A Lakers source told me the team ... planned to target the possible acquisition of Chris Bosh when it got closer to the 3 p.m. Feb 18 trade deadline..." Great, so his source tells him the Lakers are planning to do this.

He then goes onto say, "My source believes the Lakers will off Andrew Bynum for Bosh (if they haven't done so already)..." Okay, so his source thinks they'll offer Bynum but doesn't know whether or not they've proposed the trade yet.
                    Do we know this is where Chad Ford got his information? I wasn't really talking about Vecsey because I feel his writing is on the level of tabloids. I was referring to Chad Ford's comments. Some stuff Chad pulls is annoying but he doesn't usually drop totally unsupported outlandish stuff. I mean I could see a Bosh for Bynum deal happening under the right circumstances. Chad presented the right circumstances today although he didn't back up his statement with anything...Ugh...
                    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it originated from Peter Vecsey, who published his article on Jan. 10th. Hoopsworld was right on that linking to Peter Vecsey's article and shoots it down saying, "Bynum doesn't feel like enough for Bosh..."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14934

I think Chad Ford's earliest talk on the subject was 4 days later (Jan. 14th). But it's not like Chad Ford is much better in the rumour mill. Either way, I'm not sure Chad Ford checked with his sources or not, he just gives his OPINION on the trade:

"If L.A. offered Andrew Bynum, Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo would have to say yes, wouldn't he? Bynum is a legit center who is still only 22 years old. And most important, he is already locked into a long-term deal. If the Lakers are willing to offer Bynum (a big if), the Raptors won't get a better offer."

There's a lot of "ifs" by ford which shows he doesn't know if Vecsey is telling the truth. He also fails to take into account Bynum's injury history: hasn't played 82 games except in his sophomore year, and in the last two seasons he combined for 85/164 games. So far this season he's missed 3 games.

All that doesn't matter though. Bynum is a BYC player. You can't simply trade a BYC player, it rarely ever happens. You need the help of a team under the cap willing to absorb salary. I don't see it happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X