Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: ED gets it

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default ED gets it

    Not the biggest news ever, but you gotta love that attitude :

    Ed Davis ‏@eddavis32
    Couldnt have said it better RT @Fuck__You_Bitch: @eddavis32 You better step up next year or the Raptors wasted a pick...
    The guy knows he'll be watched this year and he can't mess it up. Some dudes would have taken the criticism the wrong way, but Ed sounds focused and ok with the fact that so far, he's been a semi-disappointment.

    I like that !

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow.

    I just gained a whole new appreciation for Ed Davis.

    Nice find, Fanchie.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wow.

    I just gained a whole new appreciation for Ed Davis.

    Nice find, Fanchie.
    +1

    Listening to critics is one thing, but tweeting them on your account is way braver.

    Accountability ! Shut the doubters' mouth on the court, ED !

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie JackfromNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wow.

    I just gained a whole new appreciation for Ed Davis.

    Nice find, Fanchie.
    Me too!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow, between this and the "welcome to the best city in the world" to Kyle Lowry, Ed Davis is single-handedly changing my opinion of him with nothing more than his twitter account.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote swingman wrote: View Post
    Wow, between this and the "welcome to the best city in the world" to Kyle Lowry, Ed Davis is single-handedly changing my opinion of him with nothing more than his twitter account.
    "Yes, yes...it's working"
    - Ed Davis' agent

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    "Yes, yes...it's working"
    - Ed Davis' agent
    Exactly. I'll let his play do the talking.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie StaytheCourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote swingman wrote: View Post
    Wow, between this and the "welcome to the best city in the world" to Kyle Lowry, Ed Davis is single-handedly changing my opinion of him with nothing more than his twitter account.
    Rates a follow on Twitter for sure!
    Twitter:@coachclement

    The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My initial assessment of ED was that he was a little disconnected and not that invested in the team/city, but he's certainly saying the right things now, so good on him. We'll have to wait and see if he follows through on the court. If so, then not only will the raptors not have wasted a pick, but they'll have gotten a major steal in that draft, cause this guy has tons of potential.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie LeeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    If so, then not only will the raptors not have wasted a pick, but they'll have gotten a major steal in that draft, cause this guy has tons of potential.
    O.K., I'll bite: what exactly is this tons of potential that Davis possesses? Let's say he fills out. Let's say he fixes that ugly, ugly jumper of his, and that ugly, ugly free throw. Let's say he learns how to post up. Let's say he learns how to occasionally play with his back to the basket. Let's say he develops a CONSISTENT motor. Let's say he develops into a decent on-man defender. Let's say he actually develops a go-to move. Let's say he actually develops soft hands so he doesn't always turn the ball over on insanely easy passes to him.
    So let's say EVERY SINGLE ONE of these things happen. His ceiling would be Ed Pinkney. In other words, a solid journeyman in this league. Sorry, I'm just not drinking the koolaid. I can totally see why he dropped like a stone in the draft.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ED needs to be introduced to his right hand. His entire offensive arsenal is go left or pivot right and spin back to the left. Very predictable.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LeeZ wrote: View Post
    O.K., I'll bite: what exactly is this tons of potential that Davis possesses? Let's say he fills out. Let's say he fixes that ugly, ugly jumper of his, and that ugly, ugly free throw. Let's say he learns how to post up. Let's say he learns how to occasionally play with his back to the basket. Let's say he develops a CONSISTENT motor. Let's say he develops into a decent on-man defender. Let's say he actually develops a go-to move. Let's say he actually develops soft hands so he doesn't always turn the ball over on insanely easy passes to him.
    So let's say EVERY SINGLE ONE of these things happen. His ceiling would be Ed Pinkney. In other words, a solid journeyman in this league. Sorry, I'm just not drinking the koolaid. I can totally see why he dropped like a stone in the draft.
    While I see your argument, Davis is already at the Pinckney level, the guy only averaged more than 7 rebounds per game twice in his career and was never much of a shot blocker. While I will say that Davis still has major areas for improvement, he does not need to grow that much to be a better player than Pinckney. Remember that Ed missed his rookie year training camp do to injury and then faced a lock out year in an important year 2 development stage. Davis will never be an offensive force, but he will be a contributor for years to come in the NBA at a higher rate than Pinckney. I do still hold out some hope that he could be glue guy starter on the right team, maybe a Horace Grant type player.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie LeeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    While I see your argument, Davis is already at the Pinckney level, the guy only averaged more than 7 rebounds per game twice in his career and was never much of a shot blocker. While I will say that Davis still has major areas for improvement, he does not need to grow that much to be a better player than Pinckney. Remember that Ed missed his rookie year training camp do to injury and then faced a lock out year in an important year 2 development stage. Davis will never be an offensive force, but he will be a contributor for years to come in the NBA at a higher rate than Pinckney. I do still hold out some hope that he could be glue guy starter on the right team, maybe a Horace Grant type player.
    O.K., fair enough, I set the bar too low with the Pinkney comparison. But the pf position in this league demands more of an offensive contribution than he will ever bring. I can see him becoming a capable defensive performer.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    While I see your argument, Davis is already at the Pinckney level, the guy only averaged more than 7 rebounds per game twice in his career and was never much of a shot blocker. While I will say that Davis still has major areas for improvement, he does not need to grow that much to be a better player than Pinckney. Remember that Ed missed his rookie year training camp do to injury and then faced a lock out year in an important year 2 development stage. Davis will never be an offensive force, but he will be a contributor for years to come in the NBA at a higher rate than Pinckney. I do still hold out some hope that he could be glue guy starter on the right team, maybe a Horace Grant type player.
    Horace Grant was a very much different player and a much better player. Not a good comparable.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LeeZ wrote: View Post
    O.K., I'll bite: what exactly is this tons of potential that Davis possesses? Let's say he fills out. Let's say he fixes that ugly, ugly jumper of his, and that ugly, ugly free throw. Let's say he learns how to post up. Let's say he learns how to occasionally play with his back to the basket. Let's say he develops a CONSISTENT motor. Let's say he develops into a decent on-man defender. Let's say he actually develops a go-to move. Let's say he actually develops soft hands so he doesn't always turn the ball over on insanely easy passes to him.
    So let's say EVERY SINGLE ONE of these things happen. His ceiling would be Ed Pinkney. In other words, a solid journeyman in this league. Sorry, I'm just not drinking the koolaid. I can totally see why he dropped like a stone in the draft.
    He can at least be a guy who plays in the NBA for a long time, and averages around 10pt/10rb per game, with a couple of blocks / changed shots per game as well. He won't be a statistically amazing player, but he can definitely have a big impact on games with those abilities.

    Getting a guy who can do this at his draft position is pretty damn good, in my opinion. He just needs to go ahead and work for it.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ancaster, Ont (Via Serbia)
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    He can at least be a guy who plays in the NBA for a long time, and averages around 10pt/10rb per game, with a couple of blocks / changed shots per game as well. He won't be a statistically amazing player, but he can definitely have a big impact on games with those abilities.

    Getting a guy who can do this at his draft position is pretty damn good, in my opinion. He just needs to go ahead and work for it.
    There is a reason Ed was not a top 5 pick.
    BUT: If he can give us 10-12 mins at 4 & 5 & put up close to 10/10 with some blocks -I'd call it an excellent pick.
    BTW -he is fairly close to above. Considering he is yet to have a full training camp, I'd say Ed was more than worth the 13 pick.
    WRT poor jump shot: so what. Let him hang around basket more -there are a lot more rebounds there than 15 feet away.
    Lets not forget: Ed is a solid (and very deceptive) shot blocker.
    Last edited by Mapko; Wed Jul 18th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    There is a reason Ed was not a top 5 pick.
    BUT: If he can give us 10-12 mins at 4 & 5 & put up close to 10/10 with some blocks -I'd call it an excellent pick.
    BTW -he is fairly close to above. Considering he is yet to have a full training camp, I'd say Ed was more than worth the 13 pick.
    WRT poor jump shot: so what. Let him hang around basket more -there are a lot more rebounds there than 15 feet away.
    Lets not forget: Ed is a solid (and very deceptive) shot blocker.
    10 and 10 in 12 minutes a night would be fucking awesome

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    There is a reason Ed was not a top 5 pick.
    BUT: If he can give us 10-12 mins at 4 & 5 & put up close to 10/10 with some blocks -I'd call it an excellent pick.
    BTW -he is fairly close to above. Considering he is yet to have a full training camp, I'd say Ed was more than worth the 13 pick.
    WRT poor jump shot: so what. Let him hang around basket more -there are a lot more rebounds there than 15 feet away.
    Lets not forget: Ed is a solid (and very deceptive) shot blocker.
    James Johnson was also a solid shot blocker but yet, not a very good defender.

    The difference between JJ and ED is JJ was a gambler while ED was simply lost in (defensive) rotations. Of the two problems, I think the latter is easier to fix assuming the player is able to learn at a decent pace. That, from my perspective, has yet to be proven or showed to be false; ED missed his first training camp due to an injury and had very little practice time in his second season due to the lockout.

    The Raptors will be in a much position to evaluate ED this year. While I am doubtful he will ever be an average quality starter, I think he has a good shot at becoming a solid rotation player for years to come. Not a bad return at all for a player picked 13.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At least he didn't respond with a gay slur. Ed's rookie year is his audition year. This is his year to prove things... or bust.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    At least he didn't respond with a gay slur. Ed's rookie year is his audition year. This is his year to prove things... or bust.
    Don't big men need 6 or 7 years to develop?

    Maybe he's a natural 5?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •