ED gets it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WJF wrote: View Post
    While I see your argument, Davis is already at the Pinckney level, the guy only averaged more than 7 rebounds per game twice in his career and was never much of a shot blocker. While I will say that Davis still has major areas for improvement, he does not need to grow that much to be a better player than Pinckney. Remember that Ed missed his rookie year training camp do to injury and then faced a lock out year in an important year 2 development stage. Davis will never be an offensive force, but he will be a contributor for years to come in the NBA at a higher rate than Pinckney. I do still hold out some hope that he could be glue guy starter on the right team, maybe a Horace Grant type player.
    Horace Grant was a very much different player and a much better player. Not a good comparable.

Comment

He's been having a nice summer league, obviously because he is the best player on the team, and well... It's summer league, but he has been playing harder than I've seen him in any of the games last season.

Great find on that tweet, I follow Ed, quite frankly I was surprised I didn't see that, because I've only been following sports people.

Ed's offensive game has improved, defensively there are still holes to cover. It's really hard to choose between Ed and Amir...
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

big boi wrote: View Post
        Horace Grant was a very much different player and a much better player. Not a good comparable.
        who would you compare him too? one of those easily interchangeable bulls big men, excepting the worm, seems like a good comparison to me. i can see ed, in the future, starting as a support piece who grabs rebounds and puts up about 6-10 points a night with nothing called for him and then drop 20 on others when having a good night. he definitely has the defensive ability. a good example of someone still playing then to me would be perkins. not as strong or big or crazy but definitely could play that role.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        It's really hard to choose between Ed and Amir...
        for this it's ed everytime for me, purely finacial.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          Basketball doesn't fill your head? Cause Amir sure plays harder for those paychecks..
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            Basketball doesn't fill your head? Cause Amir sure plays harder for those paychecks..
            i think you will get the same production from either one of them as first big off the bench. i also don't like how amir has an excuse everytime his games don't go well.

i think that the skill level of either is about the same and one is millions of dollars cheaper.

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of ED before. These recent tweets are making me like him as a person more, but this year he'll definitely have to step up. I'm interested to see what happens if we can find him some minutes.
              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                who would you compare him too? one of those easily interchangeable bulls big men, excepting the worm, seems like a good comparison to me. i can see ed, in the future, starting as a support piece who grabs rebounds and puts up about 6-10 points a night with nothing called for him and then drop 20 on others when having a good night. he definitely has the defensive ability. a good example of someone still playing then to me would be perkins. not as strong or big or crazy but definitely could play that role.

Im not sure who id compare him to. Horace Grant, in his day, was a top PF in the league tho so not a good comparison. From my experience of watching inadequate pf's i wished were better, id say othella harrington. Om some plays he look fine
                But way too much he bobbles a rebound instead of securing it, throws up a prayer rather than going up strong. I hope for the best and hope he can put it together this year, but im losing faith and patience. He is so frustrating to watch.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                  Ed is the kind of player who can easily average a double-double per game with above average help defense and 1.5 blocks with starters minutes. Those types of players are very useful in the nba. Ive seen his game develop from not being able to hit a free throw to facing up and hitting elbow jump shots, if this improvement continues he can develop an interesting offensive game.

I do not see him as a star in this league, but i can see him as a solid contributor for years to come.
                  fair enough. I could see him being a contributing big man off the bench but I see amir and to some extent acy in that role. I hope for/expected more out of ed. He should be absolutley ruining the competition in summer league, a two year NBA pf. But he isn't, at all.

Only one guy look like he's on another level and that's Ross

Comment

Im not sure who id compare him to. Horace Grant, in his day, was a top PF in the league tho so not a good comparison. From my experience of watching inadequate pf's i wished were better, id say othella harrington. Om some plays he look fine
                    But way too much he bobbles a rebound instead of securing it, throws up a prayer rather than going up strong. I hope for the best and hope he can put it together this year, but im losing faith and patience. He is so frustrating to watch.
                    Horace Grant was not a top power Forward in his day, he was a product of his environment, he put up very solid numbers playing with Jordan and Pippen, he played solid defence and could run the floor. The biggest difference between the two players is that Grant was more fluid and could hit a jumper, Davis is a better shot blocker who plays a little more near the hoop. I did not mean to say Grant and Davis play the same, rather that, given the right situation, Ed could have a similar impact to Grant.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

ED does not have the jumper to be Horace Grant...or the goggles.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                        Horace Grant was not a top power Forward in his day, he was a product of his environment, he put up very solid numbers playing with Jordan and Pippen, he played solid defence and could run the floor. The biggest difference between the two players is that Grant was more fluid and could hit a jumper, Davis is a better shot blocker who plays a little more near the hoop. I did not mean to say Grant and Davis play the same, rather that, given the right situation, Ed could have a similar impact to Grant.
                        Grant was a much better (an instinctive) rebounder - not even close, solid jump shooter, could defend the dominant pf's of the time. He was intense, had great basketball iq and was a good passer out of the post. I'd say he was in the top quarter of NBA power forwards, when at his best.

That to me does not make me think: "ed davis".

4 times all defense, an allstar 1 year (during a golden age for pf's), solid 14ppg 10rb guy playing w 2 guys who were always first and second option. When Jordan left it was the pippen and horrace show and they were still very competitive. 4 times NBA champions, 6 times NBA finals.

And HG was never a project. He was NBA solid right away. Just don't see the comparison.
                        Last edited by big boi; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Wow.

I just gained a whole new appreciation for Ed Davis.

Nice find, Fanchie.
                          Me too!

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                            My got feeling that one day ed davis will be starting pf for raptors...oh and all Bargnani supporters can jump on his band wagon and leave.
                            Good one.

Made me smile
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Ed got ESPNs 'Best of the Night' today on Daily Dime. Good man.

6. Best Of The Night
                              Ed Davis, Raptors: The versatile big man showed off all his skills in the Toronto Raptors' 86-76 loss to the Dallas Mavericks. Davis scored 23 points on 9-for-14 shooting from the field to go along with seven rebounds and played assertively in the paint all afternoon.

Comment

Grant was a much better (an instinctive) rebounder - not even close, solid jump shooter, could defend the dominant pf's of the time. He was intense, had great basketball iq and was a good passer out of the post. I'd say he was in the top quarter of NBA power forwards, when at his best.

That to me does not make me think: "ed davis".

4 times all defense, an allstar 1 year (during a golden age for pf's), solid 14ppg 10rb guy playing w 2 guys who were always first and second option. When Jordan left it was the pippen and horrace show and they were still very competitive. 4 times NBA champions, 6 times NBA finals.

And HG was never a project. He was NBA solid right away. Just don't see the comparison.
                                Can you read all of what I am saying? I am not comparing them as players. I am using Grant as a player that Ed COULD (not will) have a similar impact to. I don't think it will be on this Raptors team, but in the right situation and with a little more development he could be a 12 and 10 player with 1.5 blocks on a good team.

I can guarantee that had Horace Grant been picked by any other team than the Bulls he would not have had the same career. Jordan made him the player he was, he pushed him during the season to workout hard and even harder in the off-season. Those first few years being on Mike's team paid off big time.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X