Sorry

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
      I meant 12 mins at 4 & 12 mins at 5.
      Too optimistic?
      Sorry

gotcha. makes a lot more sense now

Comment

Respect... I think going forward, it will be better if we can use Amir and Jose (already is) in trade discussions. I have enough faith in Davis to be a solid backup behind Andrea, but that's as far as his ceiling goes.

Comment

SI's take on Ed Davis:

He’ll struggle for minutes with Valanciunas around, especially once you toss in Linas Kleiza as a small-ball power forward. Davis, 23, just hasn’t developed much, on either end, and looks more and more like a fringe rotation player — if he sticks in the league.
          http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...?sct=nba_wr_a1

Ouch! (lol)

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Saw that. I think their comment about him 'sticking in the league' is a little extreme. A guy with Ed's skill-set will ALWAYS have a job in the NBA. At least til he's 30ish.

Anthony Randolph even manages to still get people to buy into his 'potential'.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Saw that. I think their comment about him 'sticking in the league' is a little extreme.
              I agree as I believe Ed is a good player to have as a 4th big.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              A guy with Ed's skill-set will ALWAYS have a job in the NBA. At least til he's 30ish.
              I disagree. I see Ed rebound and block shots but I have yet seen him be a decent 4th option on offense or even a passable defender. I can't see him playing in his 30s in the NBA unless he develops in other areas.

I will continue to hope a first full training camp and regular practices will do wonders for his development.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                I will continue to hope a first full training camp and regular practices will do wonders for his development.
                I totally agree that a full offseason and training camp, along with being healthy and in better shape (hopefully) to start the season, should have him poised to make a significant improvement. However, the only way it will come to fruition is if he gets consistent playing time, which I'm not certain he will given Toronto's current roster. With Bargnani, Valanicunas, Amir, Gray and even Kleiza is smaller 2nd unit lineups, I think it's going to be tough for Davis to get the consistent playing time needed to realize his potential and actually prove himself to be a reliable backup.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  ...I think it's going to be tough for Davis to get the consistent playing time needed to realize his potential and actually prove himself to be a reliable backup.
                  All he has to do to increase his minutes is pay attention to the game while he is on the bench so that he recognizes the on floor tendencies of the opponents he has read the scouting reports on, pay attention to what is happening on the floor when he is playing, keep moving to give himself opportunities to receive passes on broken plays, box out his man on D, provide good help D according to Casey's rotations and spend all his free time when he isn't in the gym getting stronger practicing his shot from 10 feet in so that when he gets them, he doesn't miss.

If he does these things he will automatically get more playing time because somebody else on the bench will forget to do them. As it is, I will be surprised if Ed can meet these simple requirements.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    All he has to do to increase his minutes is pay attention to the game while he is on the bench so that he recognizes the on floor tendencies of the opponents he has read the scouting reports on, pay attention to what is happening on the floor when he is playing, keep moving to give himself opportunities to receive passes on broken plays, box out his man on D, provide good help D according to Casey's rotations and spend all his free time when he isn't in the gym getting stronger practicing his shot from 10 feet in so that when he gets them, he doesn't miss.

If he does these things he will automatically get more playing time because somebody else on the bench will forget to do them. As it is, I will be surprised if Ed can meet these simple requirements.
                    Agreed. That's exactly why I still think that either Davis or Amir will end the 2012-13 season on another team's roster. With Bargnani, Valanciunas, Gray and Kleiza on the roster, keeping both Davis & Amir is redundant and seems like a waste of resources to me. They'd be better off trading one of them to give the other more consistent playing time - whoever earns it the most through training camp, practice and the first half of the season (or who brings less in a trade).

Comment

Personally I think that ED can be a starter in this league. It took Kris Humphries a couple years to find his niche. ED has a higher skill level to me. He just has to work on his body.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Personally I think that ED can be a starter in this league. It took Kris Humphries a couple years to find his niche. ED has a higher skill level to me. He just has to work on his body.
                        I just don't see it.

Even when Hump was in Toronto, he was a very capable scorer and rebounder. His only knock was that he was too trigger happy (he thought he was Charles Barkley). He became a better player not because he improved his skill, but because he realized what his role was.

Davis, on the other hand, is extremely raw in every facet of the game, and hasn't shown much improvement since college.

Comment

I'm withholding comment until the all star break. He got his summer league, his summer with the coaches, he will get his full training camp. I would like to see where he is at in February before I join the ship him out chants
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Time to do a bit of digging and bring this thread back to the surface. So far, ED is doing exactly what he seemed to mean in this tweet : play hard to shut the doubters' mouthes.

To me, the most significant change is in his body language : no more shy looks at his feet, he's looking every opponent right in the eyes and challenge them to beat him. The result is great : he looks 10 times bigger than he used to, his shoulders are wider, he's a beast. A raw beast, but a beast. Part of it comes from the gym, but part of it comes from this new attitude.

Anyone still thinks that this kid would be lucky to have a job in the league in the upcoming years ?

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                              ...Anyone still thinks that this kid would be lucky to have a job in the league in the upcoming years ?
                              Ed has made a believer out of me. I bow down to the more perceptive eyes on this board who saw what I couldn't for the life of me believe was actually there. Something absolutely seems to have clicked in his head. I don't mean just the last couple of games, where I believe the match-ups favoured Ed. I mean his overall attitude. Just as the title of the thread suggests, I think he "Gets It." Kudos to Fanchie!

Comment

Working...
                              X