Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: ED gets it

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ancaster, Ont (Via Serbia)
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    10 and 10 in 12 minutes a night would be fucking awesome
    I meant 12 mins at 4 & 12 mins at 5.
    Too optimistic?
    Sorry

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    I meant 12 mins at 4 & 12 mins at 5.
    Too optimistic?
    Sorry

    gotcha. makes a lot more sense now

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Rookie Nachoooooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Respect... I think going forward, it will be better if we can use Amir and Jose (already is) in trade discussions. I have enough faith in Davis to be a solid backup behind Andrea, but that's as far as his ceiling goes.

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    SI's take on Ed Davis:

    Heíll struggle for minutes with Valanciunas around, especially once you toss in Linas Kleiza as a small-ball power forward. Davis, 23, just hasnít developed much, on either end, and looks more and more like a fringe rotation player ó if he sticks in the league.
    http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...?sct=nba_wr_a1

    Ouch! (lol)
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #65
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Saw that. I think their comment about him 'sticking in the league' is a little extreme. A guy with Ed's skill-set will ALWAYS have a job in the NBA. At least til he's 30ish.

    Anthony Randolph even manages to still get people to buy into his 'potential'.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  6. #66
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Saw that. I think their comment about him 'sticking in the league' is a little extreme.
    I agree as I believe Ed is a good player to have as a 4th big.

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    A guy with Ed's skill-set will ALWAYS have a job in the NBA. At least til he's 30ish.
    I disagree. I see Ed rebound and block shots but I have yet seen him be a decent 4th option on offense or even a passable defender. I can't see him playing in his 30s in the NBA unless he develops in other areas.

    I will continue to hope a first full training camp and regular practices will do wonders for his development.

  7. #67
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I will continue to hope a first full training camp and regular practices will do wonders for his development.
    I totally agree that a full offseason and training camp, along with being healthy and in better shape (hopefully) to start the season, should have him poised to make a significant improvement. However, the only way it will come to fruition is if he gets consistent playing time, which I'm not certain he will given Toronto's current roster. With Bargnani, Valanicunas, Amir, Gray and even Kleiza is smaller 2nd unit lineups, I think it's going to be tough for Davis to get the consistent playing time needed to realize his potential and actually prove himself to be a reliable backup.

  8. #68
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    ...I think it's going to be tough for Davis to get the consistent playing time needed to realize his potential and actually prove himself to be a reliable backup.
    All he has to do to increase his minutes is pay attention to the game while he is on the bench so that he recognizes the on floor tendencies of the opponents he has read the scouting reports on, pay attention to what is happening on the floor when he is playing, keep moving to give himself opportunities to receive passes on broken plays, box out his man on D, provide good help D according to Casey's rotations and spend all his free time when he isn't in the gym getting stronger practicing his shot from 10 feet in so that when he gets them, he doesn't miss.

    If he does these things he will automatically get more playing time because somebody else on the bench will forget to do them. As it is, I will be surprised if Ed can meet these simple requirements.

  9. #69
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    All he has to do to increase his minutes is pay attention to the game while he is on the bench so that he recognizes the on floor tendencies of the opponents he has read the scouting reports on, pay attention to what is happening on the floor when he is playing, keep moving to give himself opportunities to receive passes on broken plays, box out his man on D, provide good help D according to Casey's rotations and spend all his free time when he isn't in the gym getting stronger practicing his shot from 10 feet in so that when he gets them, he doesn't miss.

    If he does these things he will automatically get more playing time because somebody else on the bench will forget to do them. As it is, I will be surprised if Ed can meet these simple requirements.
    Agreed. That's exactly why I still think that either Davis or Amir will end the 2012-13 season on another team's roster. With Bargnani, Valanciunas, Gray and Kleiza on the roster, keeping both Davis & Amir is redundant and seems like a waste of resources to me. They'd be better off trading one of them to give the other more consistent playing time - whoever earns it the most through training camp, practice and the first half of the season (or who brings less in a trade).

  10. #70
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Personally I think that ED can be a starter in this league. It took Kris Humphries a couple years to find his niche. ED has a higher skill level to me. He just has to work on his body.
    @Chr1st1anL

  11. #71
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Personally I think that ED can be a starter in this league. It took Kris Humphries a couple years to find his niche. ED has a higher skill level to me. He just has to work on his body.
    I just don't see it.

    Even when Hump was in Toronto, he was a very capable scorer and rebounder. His only knock was that he was too trigger happy (he thought he was Charles Barkley). He became a better player not because he improved his skill, but because he realized what his role was.

    Davis, on the other hand, is extremely raw in every facet of the game, and hasn't shown much improvement since college.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #72
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm withholding comment until the all star break. He got his summer league, his summer with the coaches, he will get his full training camp. I would like to see where he is at in February before I join the ship him out chants

  13. #73
    Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Time to do a bit of digging and bring this thread back to the surface. So far, ED is doing exactly what he seemed to mean in this tweet : play hard to shut the doubters' mouthes.

    To me, the most significant change is in his body language : no more shy looks at his feet, he's looking every opponent right in the eyes and challenge them to beat him. The result is great : he looks 10 times bigger than he used to, his shoulders are wider, he's a beast. A raw beast, but a beast. Part of it comes from the gym, but part of it comes from this new attitude.

    Anyone still thinks that this kid would be lucky to have a job in the league in the upcoming years ?

  14. #74
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    ...Anyone still thinks that this kid would be lucky to have a job in the league in the upcoming years ?
    Ed has made a believer out of me. I bow down to the more perceptive eyes on this board who saw what I couldn't for the life of me believe was actually there. Something absolutely seems to have clicked in his head. I don't mean just the last couple of games, where I believe the match-ups favoured Ed. I mean his overall attitude. Just as the title of the thread suggests, I think he "Gets It." Kudos to Fanchie!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •