View Poll Results: Would you trade for David West if you could do so without giving up any core player?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 45.00%
  • No

11 55.00%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trade for David West if you could do so without giving up any core player?

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you trade for David West if you could do so without giving up any core player?

David West seems unhappy in Indiana, pretty much asking a trade saying he contemplated retirement because of the 0 chance to win a title in Indiana this season.

If you could trade for Mr. West without giving away any of Kyle, DeMar, Ross, Amir, JV, GV, Lou, JJ and PPat, would you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo... trade Tyler Hansbrough back to Indiana?
    Then where do we find minutes for him if PP & Amir are already holding down the PF position? Backing up JV? Not sure that's really what West is looking for right now.

I'll pass.

EDIT: I see you laid a bit more out in the Trade Thread, where you actually have a rotation ... Amir backing up JV? That's maybe 18 minutes a game. Amir deserves better than that.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Oct 1st, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

3. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Sooo... trade Tyler Hansbrough back to Indiana?
    Then where do we find minutes for him if PP & Amir are already holding down the PF position? Backing up JV? Not sure that's really what West is looking for right now.

I'll pass.
    You throw West in to the mix and you're just asking to mess up chemistry much like the additions of Turner and Bynum did last season for Indiana.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

5. Like Nilanka, Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    You throw West in to the mix and you're just asking to mess up chemistry much like the additions of Turner and Bynum did last season for Indiana.
    Great point. Don't need West coming in here and griping about his role.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright thanks guys we can close the thread

Post Thanks / Like

HAH! No way, we'll see what other people think! I'm sure there are those who would disagree with mcHappy and Myself. West is a great player who would have a TON to offer a young, inexperienced team. Look at what he did for Indiana! I just don't know if we're in a position to give him minutes without moving one of Amir/PP.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    HAH! No way, we'll see what other people think! I'm sure there are those who would disagree with mcHappy and Myself. West is a great player who would have a TON to offer a young, inexperienced team. Look at what he did for Indiana! I just don't know if we're in a position to give him minutes without moving one of Amir/PP.
    I think the issue he is going to run in to is he not only wants to play for a championship but also be a central and integral part of it. For whatever team he joins that means he is likely going to cause a disruption in whatever chemistry is currently present unless he is a piece that is going to move a team in to contention. I can't think of a team that he would make that much of a difference on.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Oct 1st, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I think the issue he is going to run in to is he not only wants to play for a championship but also be a central and integral part of it. For whatever team he joins that means he is likely going to cause a disruption in whatever chemistry is currently present unless he is a piece that is going to move a team in to contention. I can't think of a team that he would make that much of a difference on.
    The Thunder? He'd be a nice PF next to Ibaka, and they really have to push to get over the hump. OKC could trade him straight up for Perkins, who is in his final year, which would be good for Indy if they wanna throw in the towel this season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't compare West to guys like Bynum and Turner when it comes to team chemistry.

That is Ridiculous. Note the capital R by the way.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this really a question? Would you take David West on the team for free basically?

Unequivocally yes.

13. Like Other Scott liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a big problem with this trade idea.

I wouldn't trade multiple picks, but one, sure. I guess it depends on what Indiana would be looking for, but there's no way they wouldn't want at least some kind of pick or young prospect if they were shipping him out and rebuilding.

I agree there's a risk in terms of possible chemistry problems with a lack of playing time to go around for all our bigs, but seriously, could the chemistry issues be so bad that we aren't still a playoff team? I don't think so. I suppose it's possible, but I'd think it more likely we just seem to not click at times and are probably winning just a few games less than expected (like 5 or so). And if Masai doesn't like what he sees, he can re-trade West away. It's not like he struggles to get good value in trades.

I also agree that OKC could be a legit option as a trading partner. Especially if Adams takes a step forward this year. Then he can come off the bench for 25+ mpg at C, and thus allow both Ibaka and West to mostly play their natural PF spot. I'm not sure how much more than Perkins they'd be willing to give up.

And that's where we get into what Indy wants. Would they settle just for a pick or picks? Would they want a good young piece who'd be ready to play next to George if he comes back healthy next year? That would mean they'd probably want Ross from us, and probably Reggie Jackson from OKC. It might not be possible to get him without giving that up, or at least not until the trade deadline when Indy settles for a pick(s). But then I would agree much more with the chemistry issue. If it's that late in the season when a trade becomes a real option, I'd pass. Can't fuck with chemistry a couple of months from the playoffs.

So basically, I'm only happy with this idea if it can happen before the season starts.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not trade a pick. Expirings? Sure. But that won't happen, so...

Post Thanks / Like

Valanciunas (29) Johnson (23)
    West (25) Patterson (19)
    Ross (28) Johnson (10)
    DeRozan (35) Williams (20)
    Lowry (31) Vasquez (20)

I'm sure this could work out PRETTY well.
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Wed Oct 1st, 2014 at 10:15 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

he doesn't really fit well with our core
    he doesn't play run and gun cause he's older
    we need our big men to do pindowns for DD & Ross, and West wouldn't do that for our time cause he would get tired doing that all game

and really, we shouldn't part anything of value to land him when he doesn't move the needle that much compared to Amir and will only decline from here

i would take my chances on a up and coming guy, like Greg Monroe or Faried, in free agency rather than waste assets on West

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think if a guy like West really wants to be moved, it may take a multiteam deal, so even if Masai has no real interest in West, I'm sure he'll see if the team can benefit from the situation in any way.

20. Like mcHAPPY, caccia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    You can't compare West to guys like Bynum and Turner when it comes to team chemistry.

That is Ridiculous. Note the capital R by the way.
    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Is this really a question? Would you take David West on the team for free basically?

Unequivocally yes.
    Fair points. Chemistry is more than just the locker room.

However what do you do with Amir, JV, and PP when West is going to command 30+mins per game?

I don't think he is a big enough upgrade on both sides of the ball to warrant the disruption.

Now if we're talking Al Horford or Paul Millsap.... things change pretty quick.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If David West didn't have that player option next year for $12.6M I'd do it.. but that option would essentially take Toronto out of the free agent market next season (and it's a gamble to assume he'd opt out of his contract). I'd rather go get Millsap for $12.6M then to spend that on one season with West personally.

You would have to sell him on playing only 20-22mpg.. that shouldn't create a chemistry issue (Amir is a soldier and will do what's asked.. 2Pat I'm sure wouldn't object either). It might create a disgruntled player in West but he'd be able to exercise his player option anyway. And I'm sure he'd be okay as long as he gets to play on a playoff contender.

I wouldn't want to give up anything valuable. And that includes any of the first rounders in 2016.. and that's exactly what Indiana would want. Basically I'm answering no to the idea of a trade like this because of that.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like West's skillset in the post. That is, a guy who demands double teams (we haven't had that player since Bosh). There would be much more offensive balance with West in our lineup.

But again, not sure how we acquire him without giving up assets, and I think I would prefer to keep both Amir and Patterson when thinking long-term.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely I'd take David West on this team. The problem is the Raptors need him a lot less than many, many other teams, so I think they would get outbid in a second.

But yeah, in general, take the talent if it's offered to you and figure out how to make the system work after.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information