• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoopsworld is the People magazine of basketball
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      Hoopsworld is the People magazine of basketball
      Yeah, that's the problem with most sports blogs in general. One guy writes something, but because it has a banner on the page it somehow seems more credible. And to be fair, David Thorpe, who loved Ross (not sure what he wrote in his last insider piece) deserves the same critic of just being some guy. I do like the Daily Dime for getting opinions from an assortment of writers.

I do agree with him that Ross' shooting percentages were a bummer. It's so tough when a guy can give you such tantalizing bursts of athleticism/great shooting, than follow it up by jacking up bad shots. I NEED MORE UNREASONABLE HOPE, DAMN IT!!!!

Comment

Interview with Ross' coach

RaptorsHQ just sat down with Terrence Ross' NCAA coach, Lorenzo Romar, asked him about the draft, summer league and what he will bring to the Raps... here is the link to the full interview

Some interesting quotes:

Summer league - you get the sense his coach thought he could show better if he wasn't working on the Rap's system.
        RHQ: Now the college season obviously isn't THAT far removed from the start of Summer League but did you see any growth and change in his game from season's end to his time in Vegas?

CR: You could just see that he was trying to do what he was told, it seemed that he was being coachable. I don't know their (the Toronto Raptors' Summer League Team) schemes, or what they were trying to run, but you could just tell that he was trying to conform to what they wanted.
        Love this quote, we need some clutch on this team:
        RHQ: Any situations you'd say he excels in, he seems to be very smooth in terms of moving without the ball, cutting to the hoop, and scoring in that fashion without having to break guys down off the bounce.

CR: Yeah, he is good in that regard. He can work harder to get to the line more, I think he can do that, but he just has ice water in his veins. Here's the thing; if he's playing in his back-yard or drive way, it's the same thing as if he was playing for twenty-thousand people in the championship, he just doesn't get rattled.

RHQ: Well that's great to hear, the Raptors could use a few more players of that ilk!

CR: Yeah, he just doesn't get rattled, he's not afraid to take the big shot. Someone told me in basketball there are "takers" and "makers." He's a "maker."]
        Strengths and weaknesses:
        RHQ: Having watched him play last season in college, I would concur. In terms of the offence you guys ran in Washington, I know he and Tony were focal points, but were there certain plays that you ran to maximize his skills and abilities?

CR: Well we'd post him up quite a bit. When teams would try to deny him the ball, we'd throw over the top, throw him lobs quite a bit, and run him off screens. And then isolate him. We'd isolate him one-on-one and in those instances, he was nearly impossible to defend.

RHQ: You mentioned getting to the line more in terms of things that he has to work on, anything else you'd say he'll need to focus on as a young player?

CR: No, I think sometimes as a freshman his shot selection was something that we had to talk to him about but he's a scorer you know. He's going to take a questionable shot here and there. And sometimes those shots might be questionable for someone else but for him, it was more of his role to score. But that doesn't mean he's just going to go out there and look for his own shot.
        Comparing him to Brandon Roy (who also was coached by Romar:
        RHQ: Speaking of Brandon, he's a player that flew under the radar a bit in the draft process. Everyone knew he'd have an immediate impact at the next level, but I don't think anyone thought he'd be as good as he was. Any comparisons there to Ross, not in terms of type of player, but in the fact that people may not know enough about his game and potential?

CR: In terms of being under the radar, absolutely. In terms of the type of player, yeah, they're totally different players, you're exactly right. But yeah, Terrence is a much better talent than I think many people realize, and he'll have a chance to show that in Toronto.
        “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
        ― John Wooden

Comment

Nice find, that interview was pretty interesting

Comment

I especially loved the part about him having ice water in his veins and not getting rattled

Comment

The Coach wrote: View Post
              RaptorsHQ just sat down with Terrence Ross' NCAA coach, Lorenzo Romar, asked him about the draft, summer league and what he will bring to the Raps... here is the link to the full interview...
              Great interview. Really liked that Ross was described as their go to defense guy.

Comment

it'll be nice to have a wing that wants the ball in crunch time situations.

that said, with lowry coming in, along with ross and bargs theres only so many crunchtime balls to go around!
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  it'll be nice to have a wing that wants the ball in crunch time situations.

that said, with lowry coming in, along with ross and bargs theres only so many crunchtime balls to go around!
                  Agreed, ross definitely seems like our go to guy in crunch time situations at this point. I like his confidence, and he has some serious swagger, he seems like someone who would go for the game winning 3 rather than the higher percentage 2. Idk why, I just see him as that kind of player lol

Comment

I'd be very surprised if Casey's calls Ross' number to take the winning shot with Lowry, DeRozan and Bargnani on the floor.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I'd be very surprised if Casey's calls Ross' number to take the winning shot with Lowry, DeRozan and Bargnani on the floor.

My game winning shot crew: Lowry, Ross, Kleiza, Bargnani, and Jonas for the tip-in or offensive rebound if any of these guys miss
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• Could mods stickify this thread?

Comment

• NBA AM: The NBA Rookies To Watch

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-the...kies-to-watch/

Terrence Ross, Toronto: The training camp battle between Terrence Ross and Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan will be one to watch. DeRozan has the bigger, more mature NBA body and he is certainly more explosive as a scorer. However, Terrence Ross is a far better shooter. There has been talk that the Raptors would try and find ways to get both guys on the floor together, but if Ross wins the starter’s job in camp or if injury strikes Ross has the ability to be an impact scorer. Like Barnes it’s unlikely that Ross gets the minutes and touches to be a real Rookie of The Year candidate, but when you start looking at the Rookies to watch he could be one of the best of the bunch.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Nice praise. Not so much of a sleeper afterall.

Comment

• DeMar is more explosive as a scorer? Not sure about that at all. Can't wait to see both these guys on the floor together.

Comment

Working...
                                X