Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
Results 221 to 239 of 239

Thread: OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

  1. #221
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote YYZ wrote: View Post
    I am surprised BC isnt amnestying anyone, specifically Amir. Great bench player, not worth the $6 mill hit though.
    I'm assuming a trade will be made that involves either Amir or Davis, so no point using amnesty, since we'll need one of them at backup PF. Besides, unless there's a big signing/trade that is imminent, there's no point to rush to use the amnesty now. I think they'll probably just keep it for next offseason, when they could still use it on Amir/Kleiza.

  2. #222
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    no thats not wat i said, if we are going to waste money on some one like fields who we believe has the POTENTIAL to be MEDIOCRE and will never justify his contract. and by no means i am saying we should keep jj. but instead, we could have dumped all da expiring salary like jj, jose, eddie, forbes and other small assets to atlanta( which is exactly what Brooklyn did) for Joe Johnson.
    this is exactly how competitive teams are built, not by paying nash and fields a total of close to 60 mil over 3 years!!!
    My memory might be failing me, but what competitive team with no all-star already there was built by trading for someone they'll have to pay close to 90 million over 4 years starting when that guy is already 31 untill he is almost 35; a player who looks past his peak and in two years (when he still has two years left on his albatros contract) will be top 10 among active players in total minutes played? I'm not exactly wondering why Atlanta traded him.

    Maybe signing Nash and Fields was not a good idea, but trading for Johnson certainly wasn't.

  3. #223
    Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JJ is a dam good player and who said he went 29th overall, he went 16th...why ppl hating on his offensive game? what u wanna see? lebron james style dunk, 3 pointers from halfcourt, jump from the free line throw all day...is that consider good offense to ppl when they talkign about how he lacked offensively. JJ had greattttt Defense and GOOD offense dont know what you all talkign about...wayy better than Linas Klieza, mr. brickcity european player who fell on his ass when he was trying to do some post moves. If Klieza could play for the raptors like how he played for Denver then I wouldn't care bout JJ but this is a BADDDDD TRADE.BC just trying to look busy so he dont lose his job, JJ is gona kill the raptors when they play the kings.

  4. #224
    Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why am I complaining? This guy is gone...too bad he would've done well this year for us too.

  5. #225
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes yes, Kleiza is European, at least you got that right.

  6. #226
    Raptors Republic Starter Pill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    We could have had Bynum for Bosh.
    So we would have a knucklehead player who is on the clock to leave. Ill pass.

  7. #227
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nova scotia
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What do you like more johnson for a high second or barbosa for a low second
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

  8. #228
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hate to rain on all the Johnson lovers parade but a high 2nd is what JJ is worth. This was a fair trade. Barbosa trade still doesn't make sense to me, I just assume it was the only offer on the table because it wasn't even a cost saving move, we had already paid half his final year.

  9. #229
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    I hate to rain on all the Johnson lovers parade but a high 2nd is what JJ is worth. This was a fair trade. Barbosa trade still doesn't make sense to me, I just assume it was the only offer on the table because it wasn't even a cost saving move, we had already paid half his final year.
    There were probably better offers for Barbosa that involved taking salary back....something Colangelo wanted no part of.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #230
    Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    no thats not wat i said, if we are going to waste money on some one like fields who we believe has the POTENTIAL to be MEDIOCRE and will never justify his contract. and by no means i am saying we should keep jj. but instead, we could have dumped all da expiring salary like jj, jose, eddie, forbes and other small assets to atlanta( which is exactly what Brooklyn did) for Joe Johnson.
    this is exactly how competitive teams are built, not by paying nash and fields a total of close to 60 mil over 3 years!!!
    Again, Fields "POTENTIAL to be MEDIOCRE and will never justify his contract" is your opinion and has been rebutted otherwise in previous posts. I guess we'll have to wait in a few years to see who is right.

    So you're saying, paying Nash and Fields $56 mil (not $60 mil) over 3 years is a dumb move but paying Joe Johnson $90 mil over 4 years is the way BC should have gone??? Joe Johnson who will be 35 and will be paid $25 mil at the end of his contract is what I can define as having the "POTENTIAL to be MEDIOCRE and will never justify his contract". Most people believe Atlanta won this trade. I agree with you though that Brooklyn would be competitive because they had Wallace, and re-signed DWill and Lopez. With your trade proposal, whou would have been left for the Raps to play with Joe Johnson???

  11. #231
    Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    I hate to rain on all the Johnson lovers parade but a high 2nd is what JJ is worth. This was a fair trade. Barbosa trade still doesn't make sense to me, I just assume it was the only offer on the table because it wasn't even a cost saving move, we had already paid half his final year.
    +1

  12. #232
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demar_8756 wrote: View Post
    JJ is gona kill the raptors when they play the kings.
    You mean kill the D-League team the Raptors are associated with?

  13. #233
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm still stunned that this is getting so much attention. 12 pages? It's only James Johnson!
    your pal,
    ebrian

  14. #234
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'm still stunned that this is getting so much attention. 12 pages? It's only James Johnson!
    +1!

  15. #235
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    My memory might be failing me, but what competitive team with no all-star already there was built by trading for someone they'll have to pay close to 90 million over 4 years starting when that guy is already 31 untill he is almost 35; a player who looks past his peak and in two years (when he still has two years left on his albatros contract) will be top 10 among active players in total minutes played? I'm not exactly wondering why Atlanta traded him.

    Maybe signing Nash and Fields was not a good idea, but trading for Johnson certainly wasn't.
    Actually, I agree that Joe Johnson in vacuum is bad idea, but in the context of bait to acquire Deron Williams, it worked out perfectly for Brooklyn. D-Will himself said he was headed to Dallas until the JJ trade changed his mind. Apparently Prokhorov is so stinking rich that luxury tax means nothing to him, so the Nets are at different financial level than even Mark Cuban or the Knicks. If having D-Will + JJ + Wallace + Brook Lopez in place nets the NETS Dwight Howard in free agency next season, then JJ was the first domino of strategy. Good move, you have to admit.

  16. #236
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'm still stunned that this is getting so much attention. 12 pages? It's only James Johnson!
    And the yanks and puck heads say no one follows ball in Canada!

  17. #237
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Actually, I agree that Joe Johnson in vacuum is bad idea, but in the context of bait to acquire Deron Williams, it worked out perfectly for Brooklyn. D-Will himself said he was headed to Dallas until the JJ trade changed his mind. Apparently Prokhorov is so stinking rich that luxury tax means nothing to him, so the Nets are at different financial level than even Mark Cuban or the Knicks. If having D-Will + JJ + Wallace + Brook Lopez in place nets the NETS Dwight Howard in free agency next season, then JJ was the first domino of strategy. Good move, you have to admit.
    There is the rub though.

    In doing what they have done they have limited themselves to mini MLE and min contracts from here on out. Starting next year luxury tax teams cannot even do sign and trades so getting D12 is going to be extremely difficult unless he signs for $3m.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jul 18th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

  18. #238
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There is the rub though.

    In doing what they have done they have limited themselves to mini MLE and min contracts from here on out. Starting next year luxury tax teams cannot even do sign and trades so getting D12 is going to be extremely difficult unless he signs for $3m.
    You're right. I'm not up to speed on the CBA and cap issues. Regardless, Brooklyn has a really nice starting 5 - on paper. 3 potential 20 point scorers (Lopez, Johnson, Williams) & two 10-15ppg energy guys (Hump, Wallace). All 5 look good on stats like adjusted +/-. Brook Lopez is the key. If he blows up this year, then they might be better off without Howard, since Lopez is already a tremendous low-post scorer. Wallace and Hump offset his poor rebounding. Great post scoring is rare in the league these days. No way that Miami can go small ball for long stretches with Lopez down there. So, even without Howard, I think the JJ gamble paid off pretty good. Instant top 4 team in the Eastern conference for the next few years - on paper.

  19. #239
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You really think BC would not take the best deal possible?

    It might be hard to nelieve but raptor fans might have a much higher value of him compared to the rest of the league.
    I can just see Petrie offering their first-round pick and BC saying "Oh, you don't have to be that generous, we'll be happy with a 2nd rounder."

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •