No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen this second rounder play yet so I will reserve judgement until that happens. Then ill give him a few years to amass a body of work for me to properly compare that to what has become of JJ. Expect my post regarding this matter in 3 years.

Comment

I used to cringe every time Johnson touched the ball on offense. Sure, he had some nice blocks and dunks, but IMO, it didn't warrant playing him significant minutes.

If I'm an opposing GM, it would be hard to convince me to give up much for a bench player on a lottery team.

Comment

Obviously they were waiting for the Landry Fields signing to be confirmed. Their statistics are not much different. It looks like we traded a problem, not necessarily a bad player. Certainly a steal for Sacramento. They've gotten themselves a very good player for peanuts.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
          like seriously!! have you guys ever imagined if we could have somehow ended up getting joe johnson and pairing him up with kyle lowry!! that would have been SOMETHING to cheer about!!
          2012-13: $19,752,645
          2013-14: $21,466,718
          2014-15: $23,180,790
          2015-16: $24,894,863

If you need any further explanation of why that would be the worst idea ever, please enquire.

Comment

Reading between the lines I feel he did not accept the role of defensive stopper which was Coach Casey's perception of him and aspired to be a key element offensively which did not jibe with his skill set. Its fine to want to get better but not at the expense of good shot selection and fitting in realistically with your teammates.

I just think like a lot of today's basketball players he overestimated his potential contribution on offence and wanted more touches, shots, floor time and a bigger role in the running of the team offence. Coach Casey disagreed. That I believe was the nature of the rift and my take on why he was moved.

Good luck in Sacramento.
            Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              This one hurts my soul. Deeply.

I've never questioned BCs motives ... until today. He better pull out something BIG to follow this up.
              Yeah I am with you on this one. I just dont understand. Trade a first round pick for JJ. Play JJ. Watch JJ develop. Trade JJ for a second round pick. There has to be something else in the works.

Sacramento fans are pretty upset about this trade as well, but hypothetical starting lineup for the Kings:

IT
              Evans
              JJ
              Robinson
              Cousins

Comment

JJ was not part of the plan moving forward ... Now we don't have to pay him nearly $3M which makes room for other moves, either now or a few months into the season.

His defence was really fun to watch, but shooting and sometimes decision making were limitations for him. Both Fields and Kleiza were likely to be ahead of him, so why not get a 2nd rounder out of it? Doesn't seem like a huge return, but there's no way BC pulls the trigger without getting a true sense of his league-wide value.

As much as my heart wants to keep Jose, a great basketball move for us now would be a trade that sends:
                Jose and Ed Davis,
                and returns:
                A SF upgrade starter, and solid backup PG.

Lowry/Backup PG
                Demar/Ross/Fields
                Upgrade SF/Fields/Kleiza
                Bargnani/Amir/Kleiza
                Jonas/Gray/Amir
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

And the return for the Bosh SnT is officially a second rounder? Bayless was acquired by the TPE, James Johnson was acquired by Miami's first rounder and then flipped for this deal receiving the Kings second round pick... If I had a crystal ball I'd assume BC flips this newly acquired 2nd rounder for future considerations leaving the Raps with nothing!

Wasn't a big fan of JJ but thought he could be packaged in with Jose and one of Amir or Davis for a all-star caliber player like Iggy, Gay, Deng or Granger.

With the last two moves (Bayless rescinded offer and JJ trade) the rotation is looking more and more obvious. starters and backups 1-3 are figured out with 4 PF's still on the roster (3 of them needing minutes in Dre, Amir & Ed) and 2 centers.

Comment

I'm not sure if there is still ongoing internal conflict between JJ and DC, but IMO this is a bad move.

I would have loved to see JJ play starter minutes, at least 34-36 a game. He may not be a scorer, but he could do the intangibles, much like a Garbo type player.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                      Yeah I am with you on this one. I just dont understand. Trade a first round pick for JJ. Play JJ. Watch JJ develop. Trade JJ for a second round pick. There has to be something else in the works.

Sacramento fans are pretty upset about this trade as well, but hypothetical starting lineup for the Kings:

IT
                      Evans
                      JJ
                      Robinson
                      Cousins
                      I think the play of Kleiza in the qualifiers solidified his spot with the Raps and made JJ expendable. Personally, i wouldve let Kleiza go and kept JJ.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        have you seen him play in the summer league?
                        No, but I would assume he's garbage.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          Really bad trade, I honestly think that there's a 5% chance we get a player of the same value as JJ in the second round.. our best wing defender, who's by no means a good/great/untradeable player, for a second round pick? Hmm... More minutes for Fields, DeRozan and Ross.
                          +1

again why quit on him after barely a season and a half but give Bargs an eternity.

What did Raps get back for Bosh now?
                          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                            I think the play of Kleiza in the qualifiers solidified his spot with the Raps and made JJ expendable. Personally, i wouldve let Kleiza go and kept JJ.
                            Well keeping Kleiza makes sense to me. If JV really lives up to this hype, it would be silly to trade away the one guy on this team that has played with JV and is a good friend of his. That is not a really solid start to a team-player relationship.

Was the 2nd round pick the best offer? I have trouble believing that. And if it was the best deal available, wouldn't it make sense to use Johnson as a piece in a larger trade? We all knew JJ was gone when Fields was acquired, but I have trouble believing that the guy who leads a "defensive minded" team in blocks and steals should be flipped for a second rounder. Not to mention the guy was improving.

Comment

should be interesting who will cause the most problems in the sac. locker room JJ or Cousins LOL

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                                And the return for the Bosh SnT is officially a second rounder? Bayless was acquired by the TPE, James Johnson was acquired by Miami's first rounder and then flipped for this deal receiving the Kings second round pick... If I had a crystal ball I'd assume BC flips this newly acquired 2nd rounder for future considerations leaving the Raps with nothing!

Wasn't a big fan of JJ but thought he could be packaged in with Jose and one of Amir or Davis for a all-star caliber player like Iggy, Gay, Deng or Granger.

With the last two moves (Bayless rescinded offer and JJ trade) the rotation is looking more and more obvious. starters and backups 1-3 are figured out with 4 PF's still on the roster (3 of them needing minutes in Dre, Amir & Ed) and 2 centers.
                                The return for the Bosh S&T was 2 picks ... one late 1st rounder was flipped for JJ (who gave us good minutes in rebuilding years) ... and the other pick? It was our own pick last year, which we had initially sent to Miami in a trade. Turned into Jonas Valanciunas ... i'd say that was a pretty amazing S&T, for a guy who was leaving the organization anyway.
                                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                                X