No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I personally would have liked to see JJ packaged in a deal to get something big. Free agency is pretty much over and the big amnesty cuts have taken place already. I don't think a team would be coveting cap space now so if we are trying to remain flexible so that we can take on a big salary without giving much back - then that's a type of move you'd expect at the dead line or before free agency started.

However it appears that this move was all about pleasing Casey. If there is one person on the team you want to please it's him - so from that point of view I'm okay with it.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      Our SF rotation right now is: Landry Fields and Linus Kleiza.
      In my opinion that's an upgrade over last season's: James Johnson and an injured Linus Kleiza.

Lowry and Jose is an upgrade over Jose and Bayless at PG.
      Jonas and Gray is an upgrade over Gray and Amir at C.
      Add in the SF upgrade, and I think we can call that "hitting the ground running" after a DC training camp.
      Totally agree.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
        Quick question:

What if there is no "bigger deal"? What if Colangelo has no aces up his sleeve or this move is not part of a bigger picture or series of acquisitions?

What if it is simply the Raps trading away J.Johnson for a 2nd round pick?

If it is exactly what it is, is this a bad trade?
        What if he put the douche in douchenag? It does not sound like he was happy with his role

Comment

• Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
          Sorry to say but JJ is not starting in the King lineup.

Lastly, all the BC haters...Please for the 1000th time tell me who would you rather have as GM here. BC is doing fine.
          For crying out loud man, you can't expect fans to go on a full-blown GM hunt, identify the best candidate, and then come to raps repub to post their findings. It's prefectlly fine for a fan to be upset with the GM and call for a firing without stating a replacement. We don't have the means to search for one. Your argument that BC is a good GM because nobody can point to a specific replacement is garbage.

I would rejoice with a BC firing. No, I don't have a interview-ready candidate for his replacement. That doesn't mean we need to keep BC.

To appease you a little, here are some qualities I'd like to see in a potential replacement:

---> A more advanced-stats focused analysis. We're not known as one of the teams that uses SABRmetrics (or whatever it's called), but it would be nice to feel like we had some solid analysis behind our moves instead of the song and dance BC usually defends his moves with.

---> Less of a focus on Euro players. I liked the idea originally, as attacting Euros is an advantage of the Toronto market. But I'm ready to call that strategy a failure, remove the little Italian guy along with BC.

---> Somebody that's crafting a clear identity and culture. Pound the Rock and the defensive accountablility that comes with it is a great start. Steve Nash would have been a disaster. I couldn't believe our GM did not recognize this from the beginning.

---> A GM not in the pockets of agents. The Barbosa deal is an example of us making a move that results in a worse on-court product to help relations with an agent. I continue to think that the league's powerful agents play BC like a drum.

---> A GM that can address the ridiculous media sh!t-show. Every game on a different channel, horrible announcers, really bad programming and analysis on RapsTV.
          Last edited by NoBan; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
            We need a SF back. JJ would be a nice piece to couple with Jose, DD, or ED to land a higher-caliber SF (like Iggy or Gay or Marion). His contact is OK to take on, but still helps match salaries, and he'd slide into the backup SF spot a potential trade would open up with our trade partner. I think this move shows that Jose and DeRo aren't a big enough prize to fetch a starting caliber SF.
            Unless we're trying to get a SF from a team that has a bunch of them and just wants to dump salary e.g. the Sixers. They have no need for JJ because they have Turner, Wright, Young, even if they trade AI. And for a team that wants to dump salary, a 2nd rd pick is of more value than a guaranteed $2.8 mil with a QO of $3.9 mil the year after.

Comment

---> A GM not in the pockets of agents. The Barbosa deal is an example of us making a move that results in a worse on-court product to help relations with an agent. I continue to think that the league's powerful agents play BC like a drum.
              Not sure if I agree with your reasoning on the Barbosa trade. Remember that Colangelo didn't want any long-term contracts coming back. We have to assume that he received multiple offers, but none that maintained the "flexibility" Colangelo was trying to achieve this summer.

One could even argue that if not for Colangelo's working relationships with agents, we wouldn't have received a 2nd round pick in return.

Comment

For crying out loud man, you can't expect fans to go on a full-blown GM hunt, identify the best candidate, and then come to raps repub to post their findings. It's prefectlly fine for a fan to be upset with the GM and call for a firing without stating a replacement. We don't have the means to search for one. Your argument that BC is a good GM because nobody can point to a specific replacement is garbage.

I would rejoice with a BC firing. No, I don't have a interview-ready candidate for his replacement. That doesn't mean we need to keep BC.

To appease you a little, here are some qualities I'd like to see in a potential replacement:

---> A more advanced-stats focused analysis. We're not known as one of the teams that uses SABRmetrics (or whatever it's called), but it would be nice to feel like we had some solid analysis behind our moves instead of the song and dance BC usually defends his moves with.
                How do you know what type of analyses they do and don't use? Why would they ever make the public privy to such information? Every move has been made with a pretty clear strategic purpose, regardless whether or not they actually panned out. Since the end of the CB4 era, I've been happy with each move (especially the recent ones to dump Bayless & JJ!)

---> Less of a focus on Euro players. I liked the idea originally, as attacting Euros is an advantage of the Toronto market. But I'm ready to call that strategy a failure, remove the little Italian guy along with BC.
                Racism aside, I think the "Euraptors" era has been over for quite some time. Bargnani and Valanciunas are/will be quite good players. Bargnani is a legit starter and would've been given strong all-star consideration last season, had it not been for his injury. This would have been a good debate back in 2007, but it's just trolling today.

---> Somebody that's crafting a clear identity and culture. Pound the Rock and the defensive accountablility that comes with it is a great start. Steve Nash would have been a disaster. I couldn't believe our GM did not recognize this from the beginning.
                Nash would've been an upgrade over Calderon and a marketing dream, albeit a little short-sighted. I understand and respect the bold move, but am also happy with the ultimate end result.

I'm not even sure which Barbosa trade you're upset with. The trade to acquire him was genius, for the way it got rid of Turkoglu. Barbosa wasn't in the team's future plans, so the trade to get rid of him for a 2nd round pick and TPE was fantastic, especially compared with just letting him walk for nothing. Even though the TPE wasn't used and the pick may amount to nothing, I have confidence that it was the best available trade and was still better than getting nothing in return (just for the fact that it gave BC options).

Plus, the reputation BC has earned for the fair/honest way he deals with players and agents is all about generating goodwill. Who knows what benefits this has brought the team, with regards to various negotions, etc... I can't see how this approach could ever be taken negatively.

---> A GM that can address the ridiculous media sh!t-show. Every game on a different channel, horrible announcers, really bad programming and analysis on RapsTV.
                A GM has no role/say in such decisions. That's just an ignorant comment that is inviting trolling. Please, you know BC has no input on these things just as well as I do.
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Who shoots the 3 and spreads the floor?
                  Just one of the many flaws of the Kings roster. I talked to a bunch of Kings fans about this(3pt shooting and the JJ trade) and the general agreement is that this offseason has been a huge disappointment. Terrence Williams joins their team during the season (shooting 42% from 3) and ends up shooting 30% from 3 with the Kings. They failed to get Ryan Anderson (a 3pt shooter). They thought they had a chance at Ray Allen. They wanted AK47 (but with the addition of JJ that does not seem likely). They failed to make a play at Dorell Wright (a 3pt shooter) and then they take Johnson as a replacement. Unbelievably frustrating for Sacramento Fans seeing as these next seasons are key to keep them in Sacramento.

Still, playing JJ, Robinson, and Cousins could be pretty interesting.
                  Last edited by Red and White; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• now we sign Rush
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      The alternative is playing Johnson in garbage time, thus reducing his value even more, and then trading him for some pocket lint come February.

Fields is the better overall player (and now has a contract that warrants playing him), and Kleiza seems to be rounding into his pre-injury form (i.e. the guy Colangelo envisioned when first signing him).

Where was the space for Johnson?
                      If Fields doesn't find his shot I think it's debatable as to who the better player is.

Main difference is Fields is smarter and understands his role while I think Johnson has yet to define his. That being said I MUCH prefer Johnson's contract as I don't believe in overpaying role players on team with no star. Not sure what Kleiza is to be honest with you as I've always been lukewarm about his game.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        now we sign Rush
                        I like rush but now it's a dumb idea to sign him. I wouldn't mind if BC did but at the same time it would leave me saying wtf? How many sg/sf that are good but not Allstar talent do you need. It's good to have one of those guys at each position but we don't need Demar/Ross/Fields/Rush/Kleiza. Those minutes would not divide well.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan....

If you want to make a counter-point, try to do it without calling somebody ignorant or racist (you asshole!..jk).

1 - I pay attention to a fair bit a basketball media and the teams bought into advanced stats are pretty widely known - Boston, OKC, Houston, Dallas, etc, etc. The Raps are never mentioned in these lists. Never. Ever. Haven't even heard it once.

2 - We still have the little itailan dude in a front office spot, and therefore it's a good bet we spend a decend chunk of our scouting budget in Europe. Perhaps we could re-allocated some of those resources on a better talent bed, or for advanced stats personnel.

3 - Trading Barbosa way essentially nutured our already piss-poor offense. It was just an F you to the fans. He had one enjoyable offensive player to watch, and we ditched him for a 50th pick. Even at the time, it was reported that BC was making good relations with the player (translation: the agent) through the deal. Agents are highly skilled, highly intelligent professionals, often former lawyers. BC is a legacy kid. You tell me who's got the intellectual advantage here.

4 - Nash was a terrible, terrible idea. He flew in the face of what DC worked to establish last season. We offered 12 mil a year for a 38 year old with chronic back issues that didn't fit our new defensive culture. This shows that our GM doesn't have an identity he's buildint towards.

5 - The reason it's called general manager is because they are in charge and accountable for all decisions. Media decisions roll up to the GM. It's not just a basketball-focused position. You've erroneously called me ignorant here. The GM is in charge of managing the entire organization. Otherwise, they call call it "roster manager"

Comment

5 - The reason it's called general manager is because they are in charge and accountable for all decisions. Media decisions roll up to the GM. It's not just a basketball-focused position. You've erroneously called me ignorant here. The GM is in charge of managing the entire organization. Otherwise, they call call it "roster manager"
                            I highly doubt the GM is involved in the TV schedule, especially given who the Raptors' owners are. RapsTV is now NBA Canada, which again, I doubt BC has any say in whatsoever. The networks hire the announcers, so neither the team or its GM have any say in it whatsoever. The GM oversees the team, but definitely isn't responsible for making all those decisions.

If you re-read my message, I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you did know that, but just wanted to dump another bunch of crap at the feet of BC to bolster your argument and fan the flames of discontent towards BC. If you (or anybody else) really do think that BC's job entails making any/all of those decisions, then it is an ignorant argument, because it's based on a faulty undrestanding of BC's responsibilities.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan....

If you want to make a counter-point, try to do it without calling somebody ignorant or racist (you asshole!..jk).

1 - I pay attention to a fair bit a basketball media and the teams bought into advanced stats are pretty widely known - Boston, OKC, Houston, Dallas, etc, etc. The Raps are never mentioned in these lists. Never. Ever. Haven't even heard it once.
                              Wow, the basketball media not mentioning something or being ignorant about the Raptors? THAT never happens.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Barbosa wasn't in the team's future plans, so the trade to get rid of him for a 2nd round pick and TPE was fantastic, especially compared with just letting him walk for nothing. Even though the TPE wasn't used and the pick may amount to nothing, I have confidence that it was the best available trade and was still better than getting nothing in return (just for the fact that it gave BC options).
                                You say BryCo traded Barbosa because he wasn't in the team's future plans, I say BryCo traded Barbosa to help the tank. Which one of us is right?

I certainly would not qualify getting a 2nd round pick - something a team can buy outright - for a productive, non-disruptive player as a "fantastic trade"; the likelihood of a mid 2nd round pick turning into something useful is very slim.

Comment

Working...
                                X