DeRozan gets snubbed. Will not be in Rook/Soph Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan gets snubbed. Will not be in Rook/Soph Game

Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans lead a list of 18 players selected for the 2010 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam to be held on Friday, Feb. 12 in Dallas during NBA All-Star 2010.

The participants in the Rookie Challenge were selected by the NBA’s assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot.

Joining Rose on the Sophomore team are Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley, Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Gordon, Minnesota Timberwolves forward/center Kevin Love, New Jersey Nets center Brook Lopez, New York Knicks forward Danilo Gallinari, Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook, and a pair of teammates from the Memphis Grizzlies – center Marc Gasol and guard O.J. Mayo.

Forward Omri Casspi, Evans’ teammate in Sacramento, joins him on the Rookie team, which also includes Chicago Bulls forward Taj Gibson, Detroit Pistons forward Jonas Jerebko, Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry, Milwaukee Bucks guard Brandon Jennings, Minnesota Timberwolves guard Jonny Flynn, Oklahoma City Thunder guard James Harden, and San Antonio forward/center DeJuan Blair.
    ESPN

Exactly what I had feared would happen happened. DeRozan won't be in the rookie challenge and it's because of the great depth of guards and wings in this years draft. It sucks. He better be in the dunk comp.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:47 PM.

That sucks that he got caught in a numbers game.

Overall, I think staying home and resting/healing would be in the team's best interest so that DD doesn't hit the Rookie Wall come the playoffs.
    RR OG

Comment

Maybe its me, but I don't necessarily think he deserved to be in it anyways.

Still hope he makes the dunk competition though.

Comment

Just got word from the NBA on the rosters for the Rookie-Sophomore silliness as part of all-star weekend and, as a surprise to me, there’s no DeMar DeRozan on the rookie team.

Instead, the panel took this auspicious group:

Tyreke Evans of Sacramento, his Kings teammate Omri Casspi, Stephen Curry of Golden State, DeJuan Blair of the Spurs, Jonny Flynn of Minnesota, James Harden of Oklahoma City, Taj Gibson of Chicago, Brandon Jennings of the Bucks and Jonas Jerebko of Detroit.

I can’t argue with a lot of those suggestions except Jerebko. No way I’d take him over DeRozan but they never asked me for my vote.

The two of them score about the same, Jerebko has better rebounding stats but DeRozan’s a bigger part of a better team.

I think they got it wrong.
        Doug Smith's Toronto Raptors blog

Comment

Jerebko was not really a good pick over DeRozan. It is a numbers game

But, in favour of picking DeRozan: the Raps are a better team, and DeRozan is a part of that. DeRozan can be a flashy player - good for all-star game.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
            But, in favour of picking DeRozan: the Raps are a better team, and DeRozan is a part of that.
            Good way to look at it. I hope DeMar comes back after the break with a chip on his shoulder.

Comment

I don't think it's that big a deal he's gonna miss this game. It wuld be nice to see him there and if he were to take the spot of anyone it would be Jerebko. But at least he'll whip Gordon's ass in the Dunk-Off, and then take it home Saturday night! I think he's gonna be the first to do a full front flip as he's dunking!LOL

DeMar DeRazor DeRozan - 2010 Sprite Slam Dunk Champion! And 2011 Rookie-Sophmore Game MVP!!!

Comment

The all-rookie team roster is always filled-out with over-achieving NBA ready dudes who have little upside.... Maybe they should change the voting from the all-star game and use it on the unimportant Rookie/Sophomore game instead! lol
                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

What a friggin joke. Sure he hasnt put up great number but they are solid numbers for a rook. Whatever, i hope he takes it to heart and comes back and plays his ass off the rest of the way.

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                    The all-rookie team roster is always filled-out with over-achieving NBA ready dudes who have little upside.... Maybe they should change the voting from the all-star game and use it on the unimportant Rookie/Sophomore game instead! lol
                    People who don't watch basketball would figure out a loophole to vote for T-Mac 800,000 times.

Comment

I'm a DeRozan fan, but when you look at the people selected ahead of him, it's hard to argue that he's had a better year than them (at least, numbers wise). And there are too many guards this year so it was always going to be tough.

Comment

Not that it has ever been a ratings bonanza, but TV folks responsible for airing the rookie/sophomore game as part of the NBA's all-star weekend can officially forget about any of the Raptors tuning in.

That became a definite early Wednesday morning when word spread through the Raptors locker room that DeMar DeRozan would not be one of the nine rookies invited to take part in the game.

DeRozan found out from teammate and best friend Sonny Weems who burst into the training room where DeRozan was getting treatment for two sprained ankles and vented his own frustration at the snub. No one on the team understood it.

DeRozan said he was "more confused than angry" about not being selected but he did use his Twitter account to share his initial feelings when he found it. DeRozan sent out the three-letter tweet "Wow" and left it at that.

"I've learned from other players, just keep it short and sweet," he said.

DeRozan said he will certainly be using this as motivation for the rest of the year.

"I don't get too frustrated because I've got an entire second half of the season to go," DeRozan said. "It's just a chance for me to show them that I should have got a mention here."

DeRozan, who has started all 45 games for the Raptors this year, will be at the event to take part in the first Dunk-in qualifier against the Clippers' Eric Gordon for Saturday's Slam-Dunk contest.
                        Toronto Sun

Comment

apollo wrote: View Post
                          people who don't watch basketball would figure out a loophole to vote for t-mac 800,000 times.
                          rofl
                          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Grange's take on the DeRozan snub:

It’s not like you can make an overwhelming statistical case for DeRozan’s inclusion a la Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry and – to an extent – Dujuan Blair.
                            But it’s not like anyone else is blowing up the lines either. And the guys who have better lines – hello Johnny Flynn! – are doing it with bigger minutes on bad to awful teams.
                            But if we have to pick on anyone we’ll pick on a Swede. Why? Because Detroit Piston Jonas Jerebko is having as over-hyped a rookie season not named Jonas Gustavsson!
                            The blood is boiling at this point. I have to rest.
                            http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1446098/

Comment

DR is just not getting enough mins ... but its all good because i know he is going to win that dunkin contest !!
                              ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

Working...
                              X