Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lowry and Fields Press Conference

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    It's probably too early to start discussing it in it's own thread, but looking down the line I'm not so concerned with a Lowry/Calderon PG controversy because Jose tends to be willing to come off the bench, but it's the DeMar controversy which should prove to be interesting. Ross is a vastly superior player to DeMar and frankly you don't hand out $19 million contracts to have guys come off the bench so Fields will likely start at SF. How long before it becomes apparent that Ross should be starting at SG? They're going to bring Ross off the bench at the start of the season because he's a rookie, but once he gets his feet wet and gets comfortable at perhaps the second half of the season but for sure by the 2013-2014 season a decision will have to be made.

Possibly packaging both DeMar and Calderon by the trade deadline could net us the big time player people are hoping for.
    I really like Ross so far .. and think he wil start eventually. Im not that fussed about the DD / Ross thing. DD and Fields will be starting day one .. agree with you there. I would guess (hope) that Ross is first wing off the bench, followed by LK. If Ross starts to outplay either DD or Fields .. I don't think it will be a problem to slot him into the starting lineup. My guess is that he actually suplants Fields .. but I think either way that if he earns it over DD .. then thats a sign that DD is out the door and given that we havent signed him long term .. he will just fade.

On the flip side .. if he outplays Fields (my guess) and simply shows that he is a much better talent (whereas Fields is a role player) .. then it makes sense he will get more time whether off the bench or starting. This one is a little more awkward given the brutal contract to Fields .. but I still think manageable ..

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    I really like Ross so far .. and think he wil start eventually. Im not that fussed about the DD / Ross thing. DD and Fields will be starting day one .. agree with you there. I would guess (hope) that Ross is first wing off the bench, followed by LK. If Ross starts to outplay either DD or Fields .. I don't think it will be a problem to slot him into the starting lineup. My guess is that he actually suplants Fields .. but I think either way that if he earns it over DD .. then thats a sign that DD is out the door and given that we havent signed him long term .. he will just fade.

On the flip side .. if he outplays Fields (my guess) and simply shows that he is a much better talent (whereas Fields is a role player) .. then it makes sense he will get more time whether off the bench or starting. This one is a little more awkward given the brutal contract to Fields .. but I still think manageable ..
    at least fields never got hump money LOL 12 mill a year for Hump God DAMN! makes our overpayments a bit more tolerable seeing other GM's get hosed even more then our own...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of stopping the acquisitions here. We don't know what the needs are yet. Who can play with who. I prefer to see how this group meshes and evolves to start the season. Trades can then be manufactured to address short comings mid-season. No sense predicting where our biggest hole is going to be before we get a chance to evaluate this group.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    at least fields never got hump money LOL 12 mill a year for Hump God DAMN! makes our overpayments a bit more tolerable seeing other GM's get hosed even more then our own...
    That was set up on purpose so that they can still try to get Dwight Howard at the trade deadline. Hump's salary is high, but it is a short contract and the amount matches up well (along with a few other contracts of theirs) with any of the remaining long term contracts that Orlando would want to get rid of.

Credit: Hollinger. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...eal-look-south

Pretty smart play by Brooklyn. In the meantime Hump provides a double double almost every night.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    That was set up on purpose so that they can still try to get Dwight Howard at the trade deadline. Hump's salary is high, but it is a short contract and the amount matches up well (along with a few other contracts of theirs) with any of the remaining long term contracts that Orlando would want to get rid of.

Pretty smart play by Brooklyn. In the meantime Hump provides a double double almost every night.
    Is that also why they gave Lopez the max? Because if that works I suggest we give DeRozan and Davis the max as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I would say smart as much as I would say it is a gamble.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

But Orlando did not want Humphries in earlier talks in some of the reports and that is why the Cavs got into the mix as the 3rd team...so unless things have changed...as well the $ given to Hump is a bit much I think which is another Orlando problem since they did not like the max contract given Lopez.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me get this straight: In New York, Landry's # is 6. He comes to Toronto and his number is 9. Hmmm, 6, 9, is he thinking about his girlfriend again?

Elaine Alden ‏@elainealden
    @landryfields who is that blonde in your profile picture? You guys look amazing together..you must be in love. ‪#cutecouplealert‬
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    if trade demands are too high, the best way to get them to lower is to play like your happy doing nothing...but if were bluffing, better hope they dont call our bluff LOL..

one thing i got from that press conf. is NO mention of amir AT all... when BC was talking about competition at each possition when we mentioned PF he only mentioned Bargs & Davis... NO Amir... maybe he gets amnestied before the day is done.... unless they plan on starting him at C until JV takes that role from him..
    Think he is starting at C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    But Orlando did not want Humphries in earlier talks in some of the reports and that is why the Cavs got into the mix as the 3rd team...so unless things have changed...as well the $ given to Hump is a bit much I think which is another Orlando problem since they did not like the max contract given Lopez.
    yep.. if the magic didnt want Hump & Lopez before, they sure as hell aint going to want them at those numbers...D.howard is going to be Showtime, im sure Magic would rather give Bynum max before Lopez

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    Fields >> JJ
    Lowry>> bayless
    how does it matter?

If we are done dealing I'm afraid we are fighting for the lottery spot next year as well.
    That's precisely my point. Maybe I understated Lowry a tad, but seeing all these other teams get substantially better is just getting me more and more frustrated. I'm all for the rebuild and I like some of our pieces, but I don't see Lowry ever being an all-star, and fields will never be either. With all our supposed cap space and nobody with at least all-star potential Coming in will just leave us in the 6-10 range of the conference for longer than I expected to be there.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Let me get this straight: In New York, Landry's # is 6. He comes to Toronto and his number is 9. Hmmm, 6, 9, is he thinking about his girlfriend again?

Elaine Alden ‏@elainealden
    @landryfields who is that blonde in your profile picture? You guys look amazing together..you must be in love. ‪#cutecouplealert‬
    Go back to around Halloween, seems like she and JP Arencibia were getting it on. She is damn hot though, for a blond!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    That's precisely my point. Maybe I understated Lowry a tad, but seeing all these other teams get substantially better is just getting me more and more frustrated. I'm all for the rebuild and I like some of our pieces, but I don't see Lowry ever being an all-star, and fields will never be either. With all our supposed cap space and nobody with at least all-star potential Coming in will just leave us in the 6-10 range of the conference for longer than I expected to be there.
    to be honest... the All Star game these days is just a popularity contest.. guys get voted all the time who shouldnt be mentioned if numbers actually mattered... id be happy with Lowry if he gives us what his mentor Alvin Williams gave us.. but i suspect he will far surpass that level in every category.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't be happy with that. I'm sick of all these damn TPE's going unused. Get somebody dammit!

Losing Bayless and JJ for Fields and Lowry, there's not much of an upgrade there. I'll be quite disappointed if a bigger move isn't made.
    Bath salts again, when will you guys quit usin that stuff?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude Lowry was close to becoming an all star in the west. It would be easier in the east don't you think?

Raptors Republic Starter Buschfire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our "Mediocerville talent"

Idunno for me it seems like last years team had minimal talent, this year we've definitley improved but not where we want to be talent wise. I see this as the long term plan, that every year we acquire more and more pieces to get to where we need to be to win championships. We've got some quality players on the team with their heads screwed on the right way. Thats why we got rid of JJ...

Its like those shows Barter wars or whatever. They start off with and Ipod and they have to keep trading up to end up with a car or somthing like that. Its not going to happen over night. But we're definitley going in the right direction. I see a lot of potential in Fields maybe not an all star but I promise you he will be a fan favorite like Mo Pete or Alvin Williams...

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Dude Lowry was close to becoming an all star in the west. It would be easier in the east don't you think?
    Especially with the Rose injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Take a look at the PG's in the East, I don't think it will be an easy task. Rondo, Wall, Irving, Williams, Jennings, and an injured Rose are the ones that stand out off the top of my head. Now team success will play a role, but there is some stiff competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Especially with the Rose injury.
    even with the Rose injury it will still be tough to crack the east all stars with D.Will & Rondo being almost a shoe in for the PG spots..

Post Thanks / Like

Losing Bayless and JJ for Fields and Lowry
    O'RLLY?

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/co..._ids%5B%5D=220

Thread Information