Your 2012/2013 Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    It's pretty obvious that the roster has upgraded significantly from last years roster especially in the center, small forward and point guard position. The only thing I have to ask is whether that is really saying anything? I mean our roster last year was pretty "bad", so playoffs is questionable next year. Our roster is gonna have to work hard for a playoff spot, but it's definitely possible. Also, another thought: Is it possible that the reason everyone is disappointed in the off-season is due to all the hype of the possibility of getting either Gay or Iggy to Raptors? I feel like everyone got WAY too excited in the possibility in getting an all-star caliber SF.
    That's where most of the disappointment is coming from. Trading for stars doesn't always work out people

Comment

Let's see, this is how I would rank the Eastern Conference:

1) Miami
      2) Boston
      3) Indiana
      4) Chicago (Rose will be back for the 2nd half of the season, and they have one heck of a coach)
      5) Brooklyn
      6) Washington (They got the talent)
      7) New York
      8) Atl/Tor

So yes, we do stand a chance. I believe Atlanta will blow everything apart by the trade deadline.

Ps... First post, go easy on me mortals!
      Last edited by Nachoooooo; Wed Jul 18, 2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Nachoooooo wrote: View Post

1) Miami
        2) Boston
        3) Indiana
        4) Chicago (Rose will be back for the 2nd half of the season, and they have one heck of a coach)
        5) Brooklyn
        7) New York
        8) Atl/Tor

So yes, we do stand a chance. I believe Atlanta will blow everything apart by the trade deadline.
        +1 unless Josh Smith has a superstar year I don't like there chances this year. Also Washington is good but I wouldn't put them that high already. I see them as the team we'll be fighting with for the 8th spot.

Comment

The thing that amuses me about this thread is that there isn't a lot of disagreement on the small details. Most people seem to agree that JV could take a while to really be an impact player. Most people agree that Lowry is an upgrade over Calderon. Most people agree that we'd do better with a healthy Bargnani for the full year. On Fields there's a really wide range of opinions, so he keeps becoming a focal-point for discussion. I think most people are even in agreement that we're going to be somewhere in 7-11 range in the east next year.
          But there seems to be enormous dispute about whether this is a step in the right direction and that the team is well positioned for acquiring an elite SF, when one does become available; or whether this is a sign that the team is headed for perpetual mediocrity and will never be able to make the acquisitions necessary to take the next step.

Comment

1) Miami
            2) Boston
            3) Indiana
            5) Brooklyn
            7) New York
            8) Atl/Tor

Philly was kicking ass last year, and ended up in 8th. I can see them having another good season next year even though they have Kwame Brown on their roster.

I think Cleveland improved. They may even get Bynum if the Howard saga finally ends. So don't rule them out.

Detroit may get better as well. If the Monroe/Drummond tandem works and if Knight improves.. that could be a heck of a team.

Atlanta still has Smith, and Horford was injured practically all of last year. Even though Joe Johnson is gone, they would still have a decent team.

It's not going to be easy for Toronto. But I'm putting a lot of faith in Casey

Comment

1) Miami
              2) Boston
              3) Indiana
              5) Brooklyn
              7) New York
              8) Atl/Tor

Ps... First post, go easy on me mortals!
              Waaaaaay too much respect for Wash. NYK for sure a playoff team. Philly still very much in the mix. After that, I generally agree that wash, us, cleveland (especially if they can bull bynum out of a hat with Howard deal .. but even if not), Atl battling for the 8 seed ..

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                Dude,

Tell me your kidding. Thus far i call this roster a upgrade over the last year no doubt.

Although the playoff is no guarantee with this roster -- I say we finish 10th-7th spot. Hoping no injuries this year especially to our go to guys...whoever that is.
                but definite upgrade. If you play the two rosters against each other this years team will win no doubt.

Peace out
                No one's arguing the roster isn't better but, come on, even you're talking about maybe making the playoffs. No one is talking about this team being anything other than first round cannon fodder. Again, apparently that's good enough for you and a lot of Raps fans. That's fine. But don't expect everyone to share that view.

I find a lot of this rationalization of the roster funny given that there would not have been a person on this forum who would have been happy with Fields and Lowry as the extent of the offseason additions going into the summer.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  No one's arguing the roster isn't better but, come on, even you're talking about maybe making the playoffs. No one is talking about this team being anything other than first round cannon fodder. Again, apparently that's good enough for you and a lot of Raps fans. That's fine. But don't expect everyone to share that view.

I find a lot of this rationalization of the roster funny given that there would not have been a person on this forum who would have been happy with Fields and Lowry as the extent of the offseason additions going into the summer.
                  did you expect the raptors to go from the 8th worst team to a deep playoff team in one offseason? I don't know much else BC could realilistically do, atleast this offseason.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                    did you expect the raptors to go from the 8th worst team to a deep playoff team in one offseason? I don't know much else BC could realilistically do, atleast this offseason.
                    In fairness, I kinda thought 7 years might be long enough to figure things out. Or are we in year 1 again? Year 2? Second or third rebuild? I get so confused with the shifting goalposts for this team....

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Raps are younger deeper and better.

What more would you have done or expected?

Outside of Jose all players that truly matter are 27 and under.
                      Good question.

This year was a good time to completely rebuild or at least continue what Colangelo started last year (3 years in his mind based on his comments in yesterdays press conference).

Like Lowry acquisition. Good attitude, always trying to improve.
                      Like JV coming over. Need big men that play big and defend the paint
                      Like Ross. Preferred Lamb as his ceiling is higher but Ross will pay dividends.

This year was an ideal time to get rid of the players that the offence is centered around, being Andrea and DeRozan. Both are inefficient, coddled players. The new players on this team are here to help cover up both of these players weaknesses (especially rebounding).

I would have went with Lowry as my main guy, and trying to get bigger roles for JV, Ross, Davis. This team would lose quite a few games but then would have had the possibility of another high pick in next years draft. Of course that pick was traded by BC so that point is now officially moot.

I would have done everything in my power to move Andrea and Derozan for picks and let all the players earn and compete for minutes. At the very least they would truly be a defensive team as getting rid of 2 starters that don't defend would help to improving the culture and focusing on what type of team this is.

I'm not a big fan of saying we're a defensive team but the 2 players taking the most shots are not good scorers and don't defend.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        why dont you name me one gm that has done that for the raptors? all these past drafts haven't had a player nearly as good as carter
                        Glen Grunwald. - Vince Carter
                        I.Thomas - Tracy McGrady
                        R.Babcok - Chris Bosh

I named you 3.

Comment

But being a first round out is not a bad thing if you move forward after that. I am 100% okay if we are a 1st round out, as long as we build on that. Wouldn't you say that going from a pretty poor, untalented team to a first round playoff team (with all signs saying future development would be possible with tons of youth and no contracts that hinder us), is a solid jump in a rebuild?

I would.

Something else that I was thinking about, we had a tremendous defensive improvement under 1 year with Casey, and little to no personel improvements. I am dying to see what Casey can do with multiple talented defenders coming onto the team. I am really hoping to have a top 8 defensive team (or in that ballpark).

Comment

This off-season has looked positive, I actually like what the management is doing for a change the last couple of years. As some pointed out we have gotten better across the board without getting worse at other positions. Some point out that we still have a problem at SF going forward and I won't argue that, but it's no small deed to get a proven all-star caliber player.
                            In fact, there are three ways you can get new players:
                            1. Through trades - For a smart team with assets and cap flexability this is by far the best way to acquire talent. Every year there will be a team that is looking to dump salary, going for a rebuild, or just looking for future assets. This is how teams get Pau Gasols and KG's of the world for cents on a dollar. Hell, this is how we got Lowry, exploiting Houston's mirage that they can get Howard!?
                            2. Draft - Second best option, but not a sure-thing as you depend so much on luck in lottery and judging future talent which is no exact science.
                            3. FA - Unless you are NY, LA or Miami you are out of luck as you would vastly have to overpay FA talent to sign for Toronto. When you take into account that guys like Lopez or Batum are getting 15 million a year or so, I say pass. No all-star player is signing with TO from FA unless there aren't more recognizable teams with cap room (very unlikely).
                            So when you consider all this I think we did quite OK. We got better, but what is most important kept the ability to get an all-star caliber player in the future through a trade which is the most likely way one is coming to TO. All we have to do is wait for some team to get desperate come trade deadline time.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                              Good question.

This year was a good time to completely rebuild or at least continue what Colangelo started last year (3 years in his mind based on his comments in yesterdays press conference).

Like Lowry acquisition. Good attitude, always trying to improve.
                              Like JV coming over. Need big men that play big and defend the paint
                              Like Ross. Preferred Lamb as his ceiling is higher but Ross will pay dividends.

This year was an ideal time to get rid of the players that the offence is centered around, being Andrea and DeRozan. Both are inefficient, coddled players. The new players on this team are here to help cover up both of these players weaknesses (especially rebounding).

I would have went with Lowry as my main guy, and trying to get bigger roles for JV, Ross, Davis. This team would lose quite a few games but then would have had the possibility of another high pick in next years draft. Of course that pick was traded by BC so that point is now officially moot.

I would have done everything in my power to move Andrea and Derozan for picks and let all the players earn and compete for minutes. At the very least they would truly be a defensive team as getting rid of 2 starters that don't defend would help to improving the culture and focusing on what type of team this is.

I'm not a big fan of saying we're a defensive team but the 2 players taking the most shots are not good scorers and don't defend.
                              So it comes down to all good minus trading ab or DD.

If they are as poor as you think, what makes you think assets, let alone anything of value would be returned?

Or do you view them as so bad as to rather throw away for nothing?

If AB or DD are the only two things you'd have done different, I think you are being unjustly critical in my opin

Comment

In fairness, I kinda thought 7 years might be long enough to figure things out. Or are we in year 1 again? Year 2? Second or third rebuild? I get so confused with the shifting goalposts for this team....
                                This is the first year Toronto will significantly improve from the short 2/3 year rebuild since bosh left. We improved last season with almost identical players from the year before except with a new coach, not to mention we improved with 16 less GP. I'll admit with the exception of the valanciunas draft pick and coach Casey hiring, he really failed to do anything with the roster. This year is the first year since Bosh left that BC has added players that will improve the roster significantly. So I wouldn't really agree with your comment

Comment

Working...
                                X