Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: Raptors Sign John Lucas III (#258)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Raptors Sign John Lucas III (#258)

http://twitter.com/intent/user?scree...=ESPNSteinLine
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...john-lucas-iii

The Toronto Raptors are closing in on the signing of free-agent point guard John Lucas III, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com the sides are in advanced discussions to finalize the terms on a multiyear deal to add Lucas to a backcourt rotation that had already been strengthened earlier this month by the Raptors' acquisition of Kyle Lowry.

NBA Free Agency
    NBA free agency is under way, and ESPN.com has you covered with all the latest deals, trades and potential moves.
    Free agents | Trade Targets | RC

• Insider: Free-agent PER rankings
    • More: TrueHoop | Trade Machine

One source said Wednesday the Chicago Bulls, who've employed Lucas for much of the past two seasons, were resigned to losing the 29-year-old.

With the Raptors and representatives for point guard Jose Calderon working together on trying to find a new home for Calderon via trade, as ESPN.com reported last week, Lucas has been targeted by the Raptors to potentially serve as Lowry's primary backup when Calderon -- who wants a fresh start -- moves on.

The Raptors, though, have insisted for weeks that they were unwilling to release Calderon via the amnesty clause and will now keep the Spaniard -- after the passing of Tuesday's 2012-13 amnesty deadline -- as he enters the final year of his contract (valued at $10.6 million) as a possible trade chip between now and the NBA's annual trade deadline in February.

After playing in Italy, Spain, China and the D-League, Lucas gained an NBA foothold over the past two seasons and had some big moments in the spring after the Bulls lost Derrick Rose to injury for long stretches.

Lucas scored 25 points against Washington in January in his first NBA start, then scored 24 points to spark the Bulls to a home win in March over eventual champions Miami with Rose sidelined by a groin ailment.

John Lucas III?

I hope we don't have to give up too much for this guy

Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Wed Jul 18, 2012, 06:06 PM.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Sweet

Comment

I remember reading a while back that the Raps and John Lucas III could have had a deal going, interesting.

So our PG spot could look like:

John Lucas III, Jose, Lowry

That is pretty deep. I like it.

Comment

Do you guys think he'd be OK to back up Lowry if Jose is traded? I always thought he was a good enough PG to be a backup, but I haven't seen him play much

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
            I remember reading a while back that the Raps and John Lucas III could have had a deal going, interesting.

So our PG spot could look like:

John Lucas III, Jose, Lowry

That is pretty deep. I like it.
            +1 I'd be fine if one of our point guards got injured if he was our 3rd

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
              Do you guys think he'd be OK to back up Lowry if Jose is traded? I always thought he was a good enough PG to be a backup, but I haven't seen him play much
              Hes definitely solid. His PER was through the roof when he first started to play when rose for injured. I think he's better than most if not all 3rd string pg's but I'm also not sure if I'd want him as our permanent backup.

Comment

I think were really find out if Calderon going to stay or go after signing how much money they throw JL3
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'm a BIG jl3 fan. Love this signing.

Pretty well means Jose is definitely gone sooner than later though.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd agree. He seems too good (based on that incredible sample size) to be a 3rd string but not sure if he's ready to be an everyday 2nd PG

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      I'd agree. He seems too good (based on that incredible sample size) to be a 3rd string but not sure if he's ready to be an everyday 2nd PG
                      Agree.

Comment

Post joses departure kyle will probably be playing 30-35 min ... lucas should be good enough to fill the rest of the minutes.

Comment

I can't wait for the naysayers to bash the signing.... Even though the Bulls and HEAT both wanted him.

I am not sure about everyday backup though. From his gamelog he seemed to play alright when given opportunity. To be working this long to crack the NBA, I am going to assume high character guy much like Andersen. Major assumption on my part.

Comment

@WolstatSun: Source confirms John Lucas III to Raptors report from Marc Stein/ESPN
                            Looks like its official

Comment

Depending on what the contract is for, I'm guessing 3rd stringer, not 2nd. I don't like his size especially since Lowry is already fairly short. I don't recall seeing him play so I cannot really comment on his play, but from what I see in this thread he'd make a decent 3rd stringer/backup - so I'm happy. That probably means the end of Uzoh... thanks for dropping a triple double when we needed a loss

Comment

Working...
                              X