Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: Raptors Sign John Lucas III (#258)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keffyboy wrote: View Post
    Yeah, noone on this team is terrible. They're all great.
    Nobody here is going to change their opinion when the vast majority (although not all) of your posts are completely devoid of stats or arguments. Whether you mean to or not, the result is an overly simplistic back and forth on a topic that has been DISCUSSED TO DEATH on several other threads. If you could try to expand a little more on the basis for your logic (which you have demonstrated that you are capable of, based on a couple of posts that you've done) and stick to the topic of the thread, I for one would appreciate it.

I know you haven't spent a lot of time on the boards but that's kind of how we roll around here, and we manage to have civilized discussions with people having opinions across a wide spectrum. There are people here who wouldn't necessarily disagree with some of the points you've made (when you've actually bothered to make one), just try to keep it on topic.

I'm fine signing JLIII and I'm also fine if it means we can move Calderon, as long as we get something decent in return.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Can't we all. Just get along?

keffyboy wrote: View Post
      i disagree. one player can definitely spoil the team's success. he s been given ample oppurtunity to show himself a winner and in my opinion has failed miserable. there s more to basketball than being a nice guy, and if he s so good, why have they lost so much. a good player in his position would have done more.
      Man this was not why this thread was started. Let's. Please keep it cool and stop with the. Backlash.

Comment

• Who knows how they truly feel JL3 can contribute to this team whether it is a 2nd string or 3rd, but I'd push hard for the 3rd party in the Lakers Magic possible trade and try to nab Bynum. I'd have to think a trade for Calderon, Ed Davis, and picks would be more attractive than Varejo and let's be honest a pick that won't be in the lotto if the Cavs acquired Bynum

What's the worst that could happen for trying? Bynum gets injured? That's a huge salary off the books.

C- Bynum/Big Val/Gray
        PF- Bargnani/AJ/ Acy
        SF- Landry/ Kleiza/Anderson
        SG- Derozan/Ross
        PG- Lowry/JL3/ Uzoh

That's a strong team that easily puts us in the thick of things...I know I know, keep dreaming, but a man can dream damn it

Comment

• I would rather Bayless as a backup (loves Toronto, flashes of improvement, spark off the bench) than JL3. All the problems with John Lucas are problems with Bayless, but Bayless is simply better at the things he is good at. That is why I do not buy BC making this guy our back up pg. Why would he release 1 capable backup PG in Bayless, then trade another PG with starter ability in Jose, to downgrade to this guy?

I think he is a 3rd stringer or nothing.

Really curious to see how his contract looks.

Comment

• JYFelony wrote: View Post
            I like this signing, the guy is fearless. He went at Lebron without blinking. Even if we're not incredibly talented, we're gonna fight night in and night out.
            PLUS correct me if I am wrong but wasn't. Miami looking to sign him also this off season? I could be wrong.

Comment

• Checkines wrote: View Post
              Who knows how they truly feel JL3 can contribute to this team whether it is a 2nd string or 3rd, but I'd push hard for the 3rd party in the Lakers Magic possible trade and try to nab Bynum. I'd have to think a trade for Calderon, Ed Davis, and picks would be more attractive than Varejo and let's be honest a pick that won't be in the lotto if the Cavs acquired Bynum

What's the worst that could happen for trying? Bynum gets injured? That's a huge salary off the books.

C- Bynum/Big Val/Gray
              PF- Bargnani/AJ/ Acy
              SF- Landry/ Kleiza/Anderson
              SG- Derozan/Ross
              PG- Lowry/JL3/ Uzoh

That's a strong team that easily puts us in the thick of things...I know I know, keep dreaming, but a man can dream damn it
              Doubt Bynum would want to leave sunny last for Toronto. But u never know. Nash said no so why wouldn't he? Then again he doesn't have the money hash has.

Comment

• Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                PLUS correct me if I am wrong but wasn't. Miami looking to sign him also this off season? I could be wrong.
                If rumours are true, you are not wrong.

Comment

• Doubt he'd want to leave for Cleveland even more so haha...Winning keeps players with teams, and even if he did leave, you'd still have Val and a lot of cap space...I would also like to add that I like the JL3 signing, and think he can be a #2 PG. Is he better than Calderon? No chance, but he can fill those 15 min. with efficiency

Comment

• Checkines wrote: View Post
                    Doubt he'd want to leave for Cleveland even more so haha...Winning keeps players with teams, and even if he did leave, you'd still have Val and a lot of cap space...I would also like to add that I like the JL3 signing, and think he can be a #2 PG. Is he better than Calderon? No chance, but he can fill those 15 min. with efficiency
                    And he will be happy doing so.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      If rumours are true, you are not wrong.
                      Thank you matt.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I'm sure their record will improve this year if/when Calderon leaves. But I'm sure it won't have anything to do with the addition of Valanciunas, Lowry, Fields, Ross, Acy, Lucas (maybe) and whoever else is added before/during the season, or the subtraction of Bayless and Johnson. Calderon was the only reason they didn't go far into the playoffs the past few years and his departure will be the only reason for any improvement on last season's record and/or placement in the standings. Makes sense.

What about all the losses that piled up when Calderon was out with injury? What happened to winning as a team and losing as a team?

I agree that Lowry is an upgrade at starting PG, but it's not fair to blame Calderon for the team's win/loss record last year or any year previous. We can agree to disagree on Calderon as a player, but please don't heap the blame for a team's failings on any one player.
                        +1

Comment

• keffyboy wrote: View Post
                          i disagree. one player can definitely spoil the team's success. he s been given ample oppurtunity to show himself a winner and in my opinion has failed miserable. there s more to basketball than being a nice guy, and if he s so good, why have they lost so much. a good player in his position would have done more.
                          Jose is at that level where he's too good to be a back-up, but not good enough to be a consistent, healthy starter. He's had stretches where he's been very good, but definitely not a top 10 pg in this league. I don't think he's good enough to marshall a team far into the playoffs.

However, the Raps had their best success under BC when JC and TJ Ford were competing. I had thought that Kyle and Jose could do the yin/yang thing again.

I hope BC is working a trade with Jose in mind; not just gonna dump him with the amnesty.

Comment

• I like JL3 although I'd rather have a Calderon type player i.e, efficient passer, low turnover, above average outside shooter to back-up Lowry. I think one of the reasons Bayless was let go was that he had the same game as Lowry, and so does JL3 (although Bayless is way better than JL3). It would have been nice to have someone like Ridnour back-up Lowry (assuming Calderon is let go). Maybe Stockton wants to come out of retirement .

Whichever the case, I hope we get a decent player when we trade Calderon. And I for sure would stand-up and clap when he gets back to the ACC.

Comment

• JL3 trumps Uzoh. I'm fine with JL3 as the 3rd PG off the bench, but there are plenty of unsigned free agents in the Summer League which can give you the same things Lucas can (if not more), but with smaller price tags. Jordan Taylor out of Wisconsin for one is a good shooter and mimics Lucas down to the build. 3rd stringers rarely get much burn so I don't think Lucas' experience is as much of a factor. Lot's of hungry players in the summer league to fill that role.

If Lucas is being picked up for the purpose of primary back up to Lowry I'd be disappointed.

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
                                Jose is at that level where he's too good to be a back-up, but not good enough to be a consistent, healthy starter. He's had stretches where he's been very good, but definitely not a top 10 pg in this league. I don't think he's good enough to marshall a team far into the playoffs.

However, the Raps had their best success under BC when JC and TJ Ford were competing. I had thought that Kyle and Jose could do the yin/yang thing again.

I hope BC is working a trade with Jose in mind; not just gonna dump him with the amnesty.
                                Cant do the amnesty now (Tues was the last day)... so it has to be a trade cause one gets no cap relief in a waive.

Comment

Working...
                                X