Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Raptors Sign John Lucas III (#258)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Checkines wrote: View Post
    Who knows how they truly feel JL3 can contribute to this team whether it is a 2nd string or 3rd, but I'd push hard for the 3rd party in the Lakers Magic possible trade and try to nab Bynum. I'd have to think a trade for Calderon, Ed Davis, and picks would be more attractive than Varejo and let's be honest a pick that won't be in the lotto if the Cavs acquired Bynum

What's the worst that could happen for trying? Bynum gets injured? That's a huge salary off the books.

C- Bynum/Big Val/Gray
    PF- Bargnani/AJ/ Acy
    SF- Landry/ Kleiza/Anderson
    SG- Derozan/Ross
    PG- Lowry/JL3/ Uzoh

That's a strong team that easily puts us in the thick of things...I know I know, keep dreaming, but a man can dream damn it
    Doubt Bynum would want to leave sunny last for Toronto. But u never know. Nash said no so why wouldn't he? Then again he doesn't have the money hash has.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    PLUS correct me if I am wrong but wasn't. Miami looking to sign him also this off season? I could be wrong.
    If rumours are true, you are not wrong.

Raptors Republic Rookie Checkines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubt he'd want to leave for Cleveland even more so haha...Winning keeps players with teams, and even if he did leave, you'd still have Val and a lot of cap space...I would also like to add that I like the JL3 signing, and think he can be a #2 PG. Is he better than Calderon? No chance, but he can fill those 15 min. with efficiency

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Checkines wrote: View Post
    Doubt he'd want to leave for Cleveland even more so haha...Winning keeps players with teams, and even if he did leave, you'd still have Val and a lot of cap space...I would also like to add that I like the JL3 signing, and think he can be a #2 PG. Is he better than Calderon? No chance, but he can fill those 15 min. with efficiency
    And he will be happy doing so.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If rumours are true, you are not wrong.
    Thank you matt.

Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'm sure their record will improve this year if/when Calderon leaves. But I'm sure it won't have anything to do with the addition of Valanciunas, Lowry, Fields, Ross, Acy, Lucas (maybe) and whoever else is added before/during the season, or the subtraction of Bayless and Johnson. Calderon was the only reason they didn't go far into the playoffs the past few years and his departure will be the only reason for any improvement on last season's record and/or placement in the standings. Makes sense.

What about all the losses that piled up when Calderon was out with injury? What happened to winning as a team and losing as a team?

I agree that Lowry is an upgrade at starting PG, but it's not fair to blame Calderon for the team's win/loss record last year or any year previous. We can agree to disagree on Calderon as a player, but please don't heap the blame for a team's failings on any one player.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote keffyboy wrote: View Post
    i disagree. one player can definitely spoil the team's success. he s been given ample oppurtunity to show himself a winner and in my opinion has failed miserable. there s more to basketball than being a nice guy, and if he s so good, why have they lost so much. a good player in his position would have done more.
    Jose is at that level where he's too good to be a back-up, but not good enough to be a consistent, healthy starter. He's had stretches where he's been very good, but definitely not a top 10 pg in this league. I don't think he's good enough to marshall a team far into the playoffs.

However, the Raps had their best success under BC when JC and TJ Ford were competing. I had thought that Kyle and Jose could do the yin/yang thing again.

I hope BC is working a trade with Jose in mind; not just gonna dump him with the amnesty.

Post Thanks / Like

I like JL3 although I'd rather have a Calderon type player i.e, efficient passer, low turnover, above average outside shooter to back-up Lowry. I think one of the reasons Bayless was let go was that he had the same game as Lowry, and so does JL3 (although Bayless is way better than JL3). It would have been nice to have someone like Ridnour back-up Lowry (assuming Calderon is let go). Maybe Stockton wants to come out of retirement .

Whichever the case, I hope we get a decent player when we trade Calderon. And I for sure would stand-up and clap when he gets back to the ACC.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JL3 trumps Uzoh. I'm fine with JL3 as the 3rd PG off the bench, but there are plenty of unsigned free agents in the Summer League which can give you the same things Lucas can (if not more), but with smaller price tags. Jordan Taylor out of Wisconsin for one is a good shooter and mimics Lucas down to the build. 3rd stringers rarely get much burn so I don't think Lucas' experience is as much of a factor. Lot's of hungry players in the summer league to fill that role.

If Lucas is being picked up for the purpose of primary back up to Lowry I'd be disappointed.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    Jose is at that level where he's too good to be a back-up, but not good enough to be a consistent, healthy starter. He's had stretches where he's been very good, but definitely not a top 10 pg in this league. I don't think he's good enough to marshall a team far into the playoffs.

However, the Raps had their best success under BC when JC and TJ Ford were competing. I had thought that Kyle and Jose could do the yin/yang thing again.

I hope BC is working a trade with Jose in mind; not just gonna dump him with the amnesty.
    Cant do the amnesty now (Tues was the last day)... so it has to be a trade cause one gets no cap relief in a waive.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember when, but I seem to remember either Derozan or Bargs saying something to the effect that Jose is good at getting the ball to where they need it to have an effective shot, or dunk.

Is that true? How do you measure that?

The reason I ask is, it seems that Jonas is a big picknroller who needs certain passes to be effective.

Raptors Republic Rookie Raptorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    I seriously don't understand the absolutely negativity or hate on Jose. Am I really the only one who loves Calderon's time in Toronto? He's one of the most loyal Raptors of all time. Gives 110% every night. Sure he might have been a defensive liability, but he has shown willingness to change and get better. I am really gonna miss having Calderon as a Raptor. I hope near the end of his career, he can return back to Toronto and retire as a Raptor
    I'm with you. My favorite Raptor of all time. If he goes everybody will quickly realize just how good he is. Jose Calderon is definitely not the reason why the Raptors have struggled so bad in the last few years. Wish he could stay but don't blame him for wanting to start...he deserves it.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    I can't remember when, but I seem to remember either Derozan or Bargs saying something to the effect that Jose is good at getting the ball to where they need it to have an effective shot, or dunk.

Is that true? How do you measure that?

The reason I ask is, it seems that Jonas is a big picknroller who needs certain passes to be effective.
    You can measure it to some extent with metrics like AST% and AST/TO ratio.

And I agree Jonas' offense (outside of putbacks) relies entirely on receiving good passes on rolls or cuts to the basket. I do think he has the capability of developing a nice 15 footer but for his first year at least he's going to need a good passing point. From this perspective have Jose as a backup and running the pick and role with JV when they are on the court together would be a smart decision, but if Jose is going it would make sense to get a pass first back up.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

JL3 is a great signing. We get at least some toughness on this team. I loved that he got in LeBron's face after he got hit by that hard screen. He has the balls to hit big shots too. Looking at our bench, I don't see anybody that can get hot like him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    Since Bosh left town, Jose has been Toronto's best player.
    +1

And if Jose stays around next year, this team plus Jose (as backup, or if he proves himself better than Lowry - which most people don't expect - starting) will be stronger than this team without him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    And I agree Jonas' offense (outside of putbacks) relies entirely on receiving good passes on rolls or cuts to the basket. I do think he has the capability of developing a nice 15 footer but for his first year at least he's going to need a good passing point. From this perspective have Jose as a backup and running the pick and role with JV when they are on the court together would be a smart decision, but if Jose is going it would make sense to get a pass first back up.
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Jose and Big V would be a great combo. You can see it right now in the Lithuanian team. They have a point guard in his 30s who makes Val look great on offence when the get the pick and roll going ... and when Val played for his Lithuanian league team he didn't look as good, because the pg there was more of a Lowry type attacking player than a Jose type passing player.

I'd keep Jose, just to get Val broken into the league easily. Stick Gray on the starters lineup, have Jose and Val come in on the backups lineup, and we'll clean up some games.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not getting overly excited about the potential signing because I can't say I've actually ever seen him play. I mean, is this really a great signing?

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    I'm not getting overly excited about the potential signing because I can't say I've actually ever seen him play. I mean, is this really a great signing?
    Agreed. It could be, but at this time I can't say anything other than 'it's a signing'.

I also agree that if we lose Jose for nothing that would be our lose and regret. He would provide excellent depth if he could be ok with being our back up PG. I'd love to keep him, unless we pulled off a trade that gave us value back...no TPE!

We'll see how JLIII does, hopefully well!
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Solid third string PG. Takes Anthony Carter's place. Has experience playing that role. Will be more effective than Carter if Calderon or Lowry gets hurt. Not sure why anyone cares or why I am posting about it....

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information