Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High-Risk/ High Reward + Niagara Kid >>> guard Jonny Flynn

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High-Risk/ High Reward + Niagara Kid >>> guard Jonny Flynn

Free-agent guard Jonny Flynn worked out with the Cavaliers on Monday and performed well for General Manager Chris Grant and coach Byron Scott, according to an NBA source. Flynn (6-0, 185) played in 29 games for Portland and Houston last season, averaging 4.5 points and 3.3 assists. He could serve as a backup point guard to Kyrie Irving, thought that slot also could be filled by Donald Sloan, who finished last season in that position. Sloan performed well in the Cavaliers' summer league game Monday, leading a fourth-quarter rally and finishing with 19 points on 5-for-8 shooting.

Flynn also is considering Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto and Orlando, according to an NBA source.

cleveland : Cleveland Cavaliers hold workout with free-agent guard Jonny Flynn

Why not fill the roster with this kid...young...we can give him a non guarantee contract....another James Johnson risk.

What you all think
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We just need to try rejuvenate him to his Rookie Stat level...we failed with JJ...but this is how you find gems...but taking such risks.

Does he have the same potential as did James Johnson when we first got him back in 2011?
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's low risk.

Raptors said he wasn't under consideration already anyways.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it make sense to bring in a 4th PG (assuming Lucas is a done deal) before Calderon is traded?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Flynn is a tricky proposition. He recently (last yr I believe) had a hip operation. He has also failed to stick with Minny and Houston and I am unsure about his defense. At best I believe he would be at the John Lucas level and thats not saying much. I would rather try to mine the undrafted/unsigned rolls in the hope of finding a nugget.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott Machado!!!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default done

Aight,

All your comments are fair ...I just thought he would be close to home and all - that may make a difference etc.
    In general, you all think for player at his level being home makes a big difference...I suppose not too much.

But you all have made valid points and thus i guess we can close this Thread.

THE END

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems pointless after John Lucas 3

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Great low risk move for raptors, could be the guy to replace calderon if he get's traded.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    If i'm picking between John Lucas 3 or Johnny Flyn for 3rd string - I pick Flynn who has more upside (bez uzoh will be there if flynn gets hurt)

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Scott Machado!!!
    i know casey doesn't want anymore rookies but +1. not sure if players on other summer league teams can be offered contracts by other teams but if we can i would grab this kid. i also think flynn would be a better back up then lucas if he were to be 2nd stringer

all this based on jose being moved.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming that Jose will be traded and Lowry and Lucas are already in the roster, adding Flynn another small point guard is a risky proposition. I think the main back-up behind Lowry should be a bigger PG so there is balance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Understood

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Yes, I agree with you.

But lets face it after JOSE our backup PG depth really falls off....Competition between the two backups or three will only make things better I would think for them and the team. I'm sure these guys can also fit into other spots as things progress and the contracts are cheap non-guarantee types for the backups.

I'm simply trying to replicate the Jays Formula of High-Risk-High Reward formula...they have done well except for the freak injury bug. I hope The Raptors are healthy through out the season and all our key players are up to it.

Thanks

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate Jonny Flynn, don't understand why people think he can play. He's too small, not smart enough and not nearly fast enough to make it work on just speed alone.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I'd say it's low risk.

Raptors said he wasn't under consideration already anyways.
    True

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i know casey doesn't want anymore rookies but +1. not sure if players on other summer league teams can be offered contracts by other teams but if we can i would grab this kid. i also think flynn would be a better back up then lucas if he were to be 2nd stringer

all this based on jose being moved.
    +1 Yes other teams can offer a contract to a player from another summer league team.

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's the link?????
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JStockton wrote: View Post
    +1 Yes other teams can offer a contract to a player from another summer league team.
    thank you

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stats

Stat wise...

Only have 29gm sample of Flynn..thus you can see a comparison of stats between lucas and him.
    Injury being the key issue with Flynn at present. He will find a home soon...Bulls / Cavaliers

Oh well.

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
    We just need to try rejuvenate him to his Rookie Stat level...we failed with JJ...but this is how you find gems...but taking such risks.

Does he have the same potential as did James Johnson when we first got him back in 2011?
    No.

Jonny Flynn sucked the past two years and there is nothing to suggest he will not do so again. You can live with him as a below-average backup point guard for a season or two, but you should always keep a look out for an upgrade.

He's a low risk because he won't suck as much as mid season pickups like Donald Sloan for example, but also low reward in my opinion because I don't think he will ever amount to more than a below-average backup PG. If by a gem, you mean zirconia cubic, then he may well fit that definition.

I believe JJ failed himself much more than the Raptors failed with JJ. He was certainly given the opportunity to succeed but failed on the court and in the locker room. I think he's the type of player who will either become a useful rotation in the next two or three years, or out of the NBA; I think he does not have the type of personality you want as an end-of-bench player.
    Last edited by Hugmenot; Thu Jul 19th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information