High-Risk/ High Reward + Niagara Kid >>> guard Jonny Flynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Risk/ High Reward + Niagara Kid >>> guard Jonny Flynn

Free-agent guard Jonny Flynn worked out with the Cavaliers on Monday and performed well for General Manager Chris Grant and coach Byron Scott, according to an NBA source. Flynn (6-0, 185) played in 29 games for Portland and Houston last season, averaging 4.5 points and 3.3 assists. He could serve as a backup point guard to Kyrie Irving, thought that slot also could be filled by Donald Sloan, who finished last season in that position. Sloan performed well in the Cavaliers' summer league game Monday, leading a fourth-quarter rally and finishing with 19 points on 5-for-8 shooting.

Flynn also is considering Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto and Orlando, according to an NBA source.

cleveland : Cleveland Cavaliers hold workout with free-agent guard Jonny Flynn

Why not fill the roster with this kid...young...we can give him a non guarantee contract....another James Johnson risk.

What you all think
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

We just need to try rejuvenate him to his Rookie Stat level...we failed with JJ...but this is how you find gems...but taking such risks.

Does he have the same potential as did James Johnson when we first got him back in 2011?
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

I'd say it's low risk.

Raptors said he wasn't under consideration already anyways.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Does it make sense to bring in a 4th PG (assuming Lucas is a done deal) before Calderon is traded?

Comment

Flynn is a tricky proposition. He recently (last yr I believe) had a hip operation. He has also failed to stick with Minny and Houston and I am unsure about his defense. At best I believe he would be at the John Lucas level and thats not saying much. I would rather try to mine the undrafted/unsigned rolls in the hope of finding a nugget.

Comment

Scott Machado!!!

Comment

done

Aight,

All your comments are fair ...I just thought he would be close to home and all - that may make a difference etc.
              In general, you all think for player at his level being home makes a big difference...I suppose not too much.

But you all have made valid points and thus i guess we can close this Thread.

THE END

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Seems pointless after John Lucas 3

Comment

Great low risk move for raptors, could be the guy to replace calderon if he get's traded.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                    If i'm picking between John Lucas 3 or Johnny Flyn for 3rd string - I pick Flynn who has more upside (bez uzoh will be there if flynn gets hurt)

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Scott Machado!!!
                      i know casey doesn't want anymore rookies but +1. not sure if players on other summer league teams can be offered contracts by other teams but if we can i would grab this kid. i also think flynn would be a better back up then lucas if he were to be 2nd stringer

all this based on jose being moved.

Comment

Assuming that Jose will be traded and Lowry and Lucas are already in the roster, adding Flynn another small point guard is a risky proposition. I think the main back-up behind Lowry should be a bigger PG so there is balance.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Understood

tucas wrote: View Post
                          Yes, I agree with you.

But lets face it after JOSE our backup PG depth really falls off....Competition between the two backups or three will only make things better I would think for them and the team. I'm sure these guys can also fit into other spots as things progress and the contracts are cheap non-guarantee types for the backups.

I'm simply trying to replicate the Jays Formula of High-Risk-High Reward formula...they have done well except for the freak injury bug. I hope The Raptors are healthy through out the season and all our key players are up to it.

Thanks

Muhammad Ali

Comment

I hate Jonny Flynn, don't understand why people think he can play. He's too small, not smart enough and not nearly fast enough to make it work on just speed alone.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              I'd say it's low risk.

Raptors said he wasn't under consideration already anyways.
                              True

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                              X