X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High risk, high reward.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=79pucwe

Raptors trade Jose Calderon & Ed Davis to the Lakers
    Lakers trade Metta World Peace, Steve Blake, Josh McRoberts and Andrew Goudelock to the Raptors.

Ain't that a crazy @$$ idea?

WHY RAPTORS WHY?
    -new backup PG.
    -help at SF.
    -more playing time for PF and C players.
    -good young combo guard with a lot of potential.
    -championship caliber team experience.
    -toughness.

WHY LAKERS WHY?
    -great PG duo.
    -true backup PF.
    -expiring contract.

*I know this is a high risk with World Peace's mental case. But this is also a high reward risk. Casey's a guy who I think would be able to contain Artest. Beside those issues, he's a really good player. Not that bad of an offensive player, really good defender, plays hard. That's the culture we want, isn't it?

Valanciunas/Gray/McRoberts/Magloire
    Bargnani/Johnson/Acy
    Fields/World Peace/Kleiza
    DeRozan/Ross
    Lowry/Blake/Goudelock
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Thu Jul 19, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Love the creativity, not so much the trade.

I really do not like the idea of trading a veteran PG (who is on a big expiring contract in the year we need to resign some young guys) and a young PF (who is looking improved) in exchange for a downgrade at backup PG, a SF that is bat shit crazy and not star quality (ED and Jose are our best assets in trading for a great SF, not just a meh SF), a third/fourth string big man, and a third string guard.

I mean, I thought Mike Brown would contain Artest, but then he practically beat the shit out of James Harden...

Comment

Yeah, I kinda agree with you. In fact, I would only do this trade if we can't get a star SF without giving away Bargnani, Lowry and Valanciunas. If we can do a Calderon+DeRozan+Davis for Iggy and Vucevic, I'm all for it. But I simply don't think this is going to happen. We have to take some risks.

I know this is a REALLY bad comparison, but look at the 2007' Celtics. They traded away all of their team including star potential players such as Al Jefferson and Jeff Green and a lot of draft picks and cash considerations for 2 aging stars. Where did they went next season? NBA champions. Bad comparison I know. But it is what it is. If we want to improve and trade away a PF and Calderon and we can't get a star SF, I would do that trade.

Comment

I get what you are saying, it's just that I dont know if I am really down for risks right now. I really don't think we should try to build like Miami, Brooklyn, or Boston. We need to take it slow and steady, add one good piece at a time, and improve every year. I am really confident in the direction this team is going right now. A lot of stuff has been lined up, and the future is looking very bright. Seeing as we are a team that has been severely burned by risk in the past (trading for JO, firing Mitchell and bringing in Triano, not trading Bosh at the deadline), I think we should not disrupt what we have going forward just for a chance at a decent team now.

But that is just me.

Comment

That ain't just you cuz that is me too. But by doing this trade, we are not loosing any core player for the future. I also like the direction the team is taking. And trading for Artest is not even close of trying to build like Miami, Brooklyn or Boston. McRoberts is 25, Goudelock is 23. This only adds to our young core of talented players. Blake is a downgrade at backup PG, just as anybody we'll have if it's not named Jose Calderon.

What I mean is that by doing this we don't interfer (I don't even know if that word does mean something in english) our building process in any way, since we still have all our pieces and both MWP and Blake' contracts end up at the end of 2013-14 season. This will just help us in our building, just like Magloire's presence has helped last season. But those guys will and can actually still play.

Goudelock is a great shooter, he'd probably end up in a Bayless type player as our 6th man in a couple of seasons once DeMar gets traded (high probability if Ross goes H.A.M).

McRoberts is a really good 5th big of the bench and he won't ask for a lot of minutes.

Artest and Blake were respectively playing 27 and 23 minutes a game last season, so it's the same thing for them as they are getting older.
          Last edited by charlesnba23; Thu Jul 19, 2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

That is a good point. Jose and ED are possibly not in our future plans (I say possibly because I am pretty optimistic about ED being a solid backup this year), but why trade down in talent? You would do this deal if we could not get a star player, but it just feels to me at that point, we are doing a trade just to do a trade. I think neither of these guys are going to be locker room problems(though we will see with Jose accepting the demotion), so it is fine to wait till the deadline, and see what else there is.

I still think the value in this trade does not add up too. As I said, we trade down in talent. We are trading solid players for shaky players.

Our roster without this trade:

JV/Amir/Gray
            Bargnani/ED/Amir/Acy
            Fields/LK/Anderson
            Demar/Ross/Fields
            Lowry/Jose/JLIII?

Our roster with the trade:

Valanciunas/Gray/McRoberts/Magloire
            Bargnani/Johnson/Acy
            Fields/World Peace/Kleiza
            DeRozan/Ross/Goudelock
            Lowry/Blake/Goudelock

I think I like having ED in the big man rotation better than I like MWP at our backup SF spot. It just seems to me we are trading a good deal of talent for a slight upgrade at backup SF (if we ignore MWP losing his mind), and a downgrade everywhere else.

Comment

Working...
            X