Over/Under on Ross starting over Demar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
    Derozan starts with Fields, Ross is J.R. Smith he will come off the bench until he proves he can dribble drive on ISO plays.
    Exactly, Dwayne Casey already said in two interviews at summer league that he wants T.Ross in the 6th man role . Something like James harden for the Thunder

Comment

Ross is not ready to be a starter his way too inefficient at the momment (.387 FG .273 3FG). Things aren't going to get easier as a starter in the regular season.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Ross is not ready to be a starter his way too inefficient at the momment (.387 FG .273 3FG). Things aren't going to get easier as a starter in the regular season.
        Yeah, inefficiency in Summer League kind of scares me.

I'm not doubting him as a player, just not over-valuing him. I'm not here to get dissapointed again.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If anything, Derozan DOMINATED Summer League two season ago in comparison to Ross.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            If anything, Derozan DOMINATED Summer League two season ago in comparison to Ross.
            Don't forget also had 82 nba games under his belt though.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Demar starts.

If Ross is better, Demar traded.
              Demar traded? Now that's an IDEA!!! Please note: not being sarcastic here.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                dont worry, ill put my credibility on the line too, hehehe.

Demar needs to have a breakout season this year. full training camp, learning the holes in his game last year, this should be the season where he puts everything together and takes his game to next the level.

he already knows his strengths and weaknesses and what defenses are giving him. time to step up.
                Too bad he still dribbles like a 3 year-old.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Don't forget also had 82 nba games under his belt though.
                  DeMar Played better his Rookie year too.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Without any further roster moves on the wing, I assume Fields and DeRozan will be the starters at the beginning of the season, and likely throughout.

Kleiza is best suited to play SF on the 2nd unit (and some time at PF in smaller 2nd unit lineups). He is too streaky/inconsistent a scorer to be a starter and doesn't bring the same level of defense that Fields does.

Ross could very well become a starting SG, but he's definitely not ready yet and certainly not polished enough to supplant DeRozan in the starting lineup. DeRozan still needs to vastly improve his game (dribble penetration with consistent finishing, 3pt shooting and defense) to maintain his starting role long-term, but he still garners enough attention from the opposition that his inclusion in the starting lineup benefits the other 4 starters far more than Ross would.

The one concern I have about a DeRozan/Fields starting wing combo is the lack of consistent 3pt shooting. If they can both improve on their 3pt shooting % from last season, I think they will jointly provide enough to keep defenses honest.

I think the 2nd unit has good balance with Kleiza/Ross. Kleiza can post-up or play on the perimeter, while Ross can play on the perimeter, curl off screens or penetrate off the dribble.

---

Ideally, I'd like to see the starting SF upgraded with a veteran who is a good 3pt shooter and above average defender (ie: Iguodala), without giving up any of our 4 current wing players. This would allow Fields to slide into the starting SG spot, resulting in a vastly improved starting wing combo, defensively speaking.

DeRozan could slide into the backup SF spot, as the 6th man scorer off the bench (could still wind up in top 3-5 in total MPG, behind Bargnani, Iguodala, Lowry and possibly Fields). Ross would still be the backup SG.

Kleiza would become the 5th wing, but would likely see significant time as the backup PF, with Amir/Davis getting significant time as the backup C (assuming one of Amir/Davis is traded away to land the new starting SF).

Gray would become the 11th man, seeing time only in bigger 2nd unit lineups against true C's (and likely getting some time with the starters, when Valanciunas is overmatched and/or in foul trouble).
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 19, 2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

1/2 season( with a short leash)

It's put up or shut up for DD this year. He better come out the gate strong cuz TR has already shown more tools. (shooting and defense). The DD experiment can't go on without a pay out; and soon.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Who here thought that Kawahi Leonard would start (for the Spurs no less) coming out the gate?

Point: No one really knows at this stage until the season starts and he gets real NBA action. Leonard himself quite possibly surprised himself. I'll just say that Ross doesn't look like a dud. So I am hopeful.

Off topic: Austin Rivers seems to be having a hard time of it. The Hornets want him as their starting PG. Yikes.
                        Looks like you forgot that DD started as a rookie...
                        I say both will start at and changes will be made as time goes by.... Also DC liked to do match up so it depends if we get brooklyn fir our furst game

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                          I'd like Derozan at the 3 if he improves his D and rebounding drastically. Until then, I'd rather have Fields there
                          I agree. The main problem with Demar at the 3 spot is his cruddy defense. If he has bulked up and learn to play better defense, then I'm not opposed to having Demar as our SF.

Comment

I'm going with over. It won't be easy replacing DD since he's got dibs on second most number of chances one gets before he gets benched for under-performing. First is Bargs of course. There's that, and there's also the slight chance that DD actually improves over the summer and comes back a better shooter and defender. Emphasis on slight.

I don't like either of them at the 3 spot as they sacrifice too much size for my liking. They aren't the type of players that can play a position well when undersized. But if opposing 3's are of similar size then I don't see why not.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                              I agree. The main problem with Demar at the 3 spot is his cruddy defense. If he has bulked up and learn to play better defense, then I'm not opposed to having Demar as our SF.
                              ... and apparently TRoss has defense as one of his strengths ... Casey may want him to start to defend the Wades of the league.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                                ... and apparently TRoss has defense as one of his strengths ... Casey may want him to start to defend the Wades of the league.
                                We'll have to see. Hopefully Demar took the time to grow bigger and stronger and hopefully that will help him play a bit better defense. But I agree. I can see Ross playing more minutes against teams with dominate shooting guards such as the Heat, Nets, Lakers, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X