Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Youth and Financial Freedom: Raps current roster beyond 2012-13

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Youth and Financial Freedom: Raps current roster beyond 2012-13

    *I have been intending to make this post but no access to keyboard for last week so here goes as I have one at my finger tips now*

    I've made no secret I like what the Raptors have done thus far this off season. In my opinion, the Raps are younger, deeper, and (most importantly) better than they were on April 26, 2012 (last day of season).

    When looking at the roster, 2 things stand out: youth and money.

    #1) Youth - players signed beyond 2012-13 (all ages as of December 31, 2012):

    Gray 28
    Bargnani 27
    Kleiza 27
    Lowry 26
    Amir 25
    Fields 24
    ED 23
    DD* 23
    Acy 22
    TR 21
    JV 20

    *qualifying offer


    #2) Money

    Gray* $3m
    Bargnani $10.75m
    Kleiza** $4.6m
    Lowry $6.2m
    Amir $6.55m
    Fields $6.3m
    ED $3.158m
    Acy* $900k
    TR $2.232
    JV $2.938

    TOTAL: $46.628 in committed salaries for 2013-14 for 10 players.

    DD: qualifying offer - $4.531m; cap hold - $10.03M

    Raptors also hold amnesty that could be used on Bargnani, Kleiza, or Amir to free up nearly $5-$11m.

    Cap Space: depends on what happens with DD, amnesty, and BRI split. Current salary cap is $58M. Lots of young players under contract and only $46.628M in committed salary - key (and dreaded) word is flexibility.

    *estimating contract
    ** assuming option picked up.


    Assuming the Raptors do not make any significant additions in salary this summer or before trade deadline, Raps are likely to find themselves in a very similar situation next year:
    - young and improving team
    - cap flexibilty


    People will likely groan (and rightfully so) because all this flexibility has gone for nothing thus far. 2 rays of hope:
    1) new punitive tax starts in 2013-14 and might be last chance for a treadmill team (Grizz, Philly, whoever) or team going nowhere to unload contracts before more punitive tax kicks in,
    2) luxury tax teams can no longer execute sign and trades after this summer (limited to $3m mini-MLE or minimum contracts).


    Some things that do concern me:
    1) Still no legit franchise talent (Bargnani, JV, or Ross please prove me wrong - or BC cash in some chips and get one!)
    2) playoffs far from a certainty in 2012-13 but a bottom 10 team seems unlikely as well - worst case scenario, just miss the playoffs and lose a 12-14 pick.


    My ultimate wet dream*:
    1) trade for AI sooner than later,
    2) when AI's contract comes off the books, sign Paul George as free agent.

    *ultimate wet dream - let me dream in peace.


    Putting it all together, things are not perfect but things are not near bad, in my opinion, either.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Jul 19th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    *I have been intending to make this post but no access to keyboard for last week so here goes as I have one at my finger tips now*

    I've made no secret I like what the Raptors have done thus far this off season. In my opinion, the Raps are younger, deeper, and (most importantly) better than they were on April 26, 2012 (last day of season).

    When looking at the roster, 2 things stand out: youth and money.

    #1) Youth - players signed beyond 2012-13 (all ages as of December 31, 2012):

    Gray 28
    Bargnani 27
    Kleiza 27
    Lowry 26
    Amir 25
    Fields 24
    ED 23
    DD* 23
    Acy 22
    TR 21
    JV 20

    *qualifying offer


    #2) Money

    Gray* $3m
    Bargnani $10.75m
    Kleiza** $4.6m
    Lowry $6.2m
    Amir $6.55m
    Fields $6.3m
    ED $3.158m
    Acy* $900k
    TR $2.232
    JV $2.938

    TOTAL: $46.628 in committed salaries for 2013-14

    DD: qualifying offer - $4.531m; cap hold - $10.03M

    Raptors also hold amnesty that could be used on Bargnani, Kleiza, or Amir to free up nearly $5-$11m.

    *estimating contract
    ** assuming option picked up.


    Assuming the Raptors do not make any significant additions in salary this summer or before trade deadline, Raps are likely to find themselves in a very similar situation next year:
    - young and improving team
    - cap flexibilty


    People will likely groan (and rightfully so) because all this flexibility has gone for nothing thus far. 2 rays of hope:
    1) new punitive tax starts in 2013-14 and might be last chance for a treadmill team (Grizz, Philly, whoever) or team going nowhere to unload contracts before more punitive tax kicks in,
    2) luxury tax teams can no longer execute sign and trades after this summer (limited to $3m mini-MLE or minimum contracts).


    Some things that do concern me:
    1) Still no legit franchise talent (Bargnani, JV, or Ross please prove me wrong - or BC cash in some chips and get one!)
    2) playoffs far from a certainty in 2012-13 but a bottom 10 team seems unlikely as well - worst case scenario, just miss the playoffs and lose a 12-14 pick.


    My ultimate wet dream*:
    1) trade for AI sooner than later,
    2) when AI's contract comes off the books, sign Paul George as free agent.

    *ultimate wet dream - let me dream in peace.


    Putting it all together, things are not perfect but things are not near bad, in my opinion, either.
    The flexibility, has it not been used on Lucas III, Fields, and Gray? What is the remaining cap space of these moves? Originally the team was at about 12$ million.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    The flexibility, has it not been used on Lucas III, Fields, and Gray? What is the remaining cap space of these moves? Originally the team was at about 12$ million.
    BEYOND 2012-13.

    I'm talking next summer (2013).

    People talking about the summer and future are failures. All I'm saying is hardly.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    BEYOND 2012-13.

    I'm talking next summer (2013).

    People talking about the summer and future are failures. All I'm saying is hardly.
    Ah I see... But, how much cap space are we left with?

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Ah I see... But, how much cap space are we left with?
    Updated the post.

    TO answer your question: unknown.

    BRI split, amnesty, what happens with DD all factors.

    What we do know is:
    1) current salary cap is $58M and not expected (I don't think) to go down,
    2) Raps have $46.7m tied up in 10 players for 2013-2014 season.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Updated the post.

    TO answer your question: unknown.

    BRI split, amnesty, what happens with DD all factors.

    What we do know is:
    1) current salary cap is $58M and not expected (I don't think) to go down,
    2) Raps have $46.7m tied up in 10 players for 2013-2014 season.
    Currently the roster paid is not including the possible signing of Anderson and JL3 correct? I've been reading JL3's contract valued to be 2-3$ million, what about Anderson's? Because of his age I'm seeing a vet minimum, or a minimum contract?

    Derozan's qualifying offer NEXT season 4.5$ million, being a rookie scale contract, isn't the last two years on qualifying? So, this would be the final year to use the qualifier?

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    *I have been intending to make this post but no access to keyboard for last week so here goes as I have one at my finger tips now*

    I've made no secret I like what the Raptors have done thus far this off season. In my opinion, the Raps are younger, deeper, and (most importantly) better than they were on April 26, 2012 (last day of season).

    When looking at the roster, 2 things stand out: youth and money.

    #1) Youth - players signed beyond 2012-13 (all ages as of December 31, 2012):

    Gray 28
    Bargnani 27
    Kleiza 27
    Lowry 26
    Amir 25
    Fields 24
    ED 23
    DD* 23
    Acy 22
    TR 21
    JV 20

    *qualifying offer


    #2) Money

    Gray* $3m
    Bargnani $10.75m
    Kleiza** $4.6m
    Lowry $6.2m
    Amir $6.55m
    Fields $6.3m
    ED $3.158m
    Acy* $900k
    TR $2.232
    JV $2.938

    TOTAL: $46.628 in committed salaries for 2013-14 for 10 players.

    DD: qualifying offer - $4.531m; cap hold - $10.03M

    Raptors also hold amnesty that could be used on Bargnani, Kleiza, or Amir to free up nearly $5-$11m.

    Cap Space: depends on what happens with DD, amnesty, and BRI split. Current salary cap is $58M. Lots of young players under contract and only $46.628M in committed salary - key (and dreaded) word is flexibility.

    *estimating contract
    ** assuming option picked up.


    Assuming the Raptors do not make any significant additions in salary this summer or before trade deadline, Raps are likely to find themselves in a very similar situation next year:
    - young and improving team
    - cap flexibilty


    People will likely groan (and rightfully so) because all this flexibility has gone for nothing thus far. 2 rays of hope:
    1) new punitive tax starts in 2013-14 and might be last chance for a treadmill team (Grizz, Philly, whoever) or team going nowhere to unload contracts before more punitive tax kicks in,
    2) luxury tax teams can no longer execute sign and trades after this summer (limited to $3m mini-MLE or minimum contracts).


    Some things that do concern me:
    1) Still no legit franchise talent (Bargnani, JV, or Ross please prove me wrong - or BC cash in some chips and get one!)
    2) playoffs far from a certainty in 2012-13 but a bottom 10 team seems unlikely as well - worst case scenario, just miss the playoffs and lose a 12-14 pick.


    My ultimate wet dream*:
    1) trade for AI sooner than later,
    2) when AI's contract comes off the books, sign Paul George as free agent.

    *ultimate wet dream - let me dream in peace.


    Putting it all together, things are not perfect but things are not near bad, in my opinion, either.
    Did notice that too, but thanks for laying it all out on this post. I am also concerned with the absence of a legit franchise talent and hoping sooooo much that we are proven wrong.

    Reading your insight about the punitive tax makes me realize that you are right. I also hope that someone does unload a franchise player to us.

    Finally, I share your wet dream...even though that sounds bad

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like A.I. also, but the 76ers have made moves to pretty much ensure that they don't go into the tax any time soon. I don't think they'll look to move him. I could be wrong though. One can always wish...

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    I like A.I. also, but the 76ers have made moves to pretty much ensure that they don't go into the tax any time soon. I don't think they'll look to move him. I could be wrong though. One can always wish...
    They have also made moves that adds a wing talent (young, Wright, Harkless).

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....
    making money is a big thing to these guys. i also think nash would have put us in a better position to win next year then we are in now.

    i am excited now because we are moving forward. not because i think we have a team that can knock down doors and win a conference title or even a division title. but we are looking at the playoffs and that growth should be exciting for us. i am not looking for instant gratification i am gratified in our continued growth and excited to see what steps we take this year. in no way am i satisfied if this was the end product but our boys just passed primary school and they are headed into middle school and i am happy/proud and excited for them.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....
    "Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad" To be honest, when you think about it, that's not really say much is it? I wouldn't say that we're not gonna be that much better than last year, but I feel like we're a fringe playoff team (sorta like Milwaukee). Even though we're not exactly a high caliber playoff team, I feel like we're better off with what we have this year than we did last year. If we can still show that we're a decent team next year, it might be easier for us to get free agents than getting free agents as one of the bottom teams.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    "Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad" To be honest, when you think about it, that's not really say much is it? I wouldn't say that we're not gonna be that much better than last year, but I feel like we're a fringe playoff team (sorta like Milwaukee). Even though we're not exactly a high caliber playoff team, I feel like we're better off with what we have this year than we did last year. If we can still show that we're a decent team next year, it might be easier for us to get free agents than getting free agents as one of the bottom teams.
    We may be a fringe playoff team next year, 6-8 spots, than I think that's great. Only to know, unlike Milwaukee, or Philly, we are NOT a treadmill team.

    The youth speaks for itself, we will NOT be an Oklahoma City Thunder team, but the team has the potential to get better every single year. As guys experience, as guys individually learn the game, learn the system, develop and buy into the culture, it could turn into a team that is contending in 3-4 years. Winning over time will make some type of noise, with winning, we can attract certain free agents.

    Someone pointed out to me in the past, winning is a major need to attract others. Making the playoffs in the 6-8 spots, and bettering over time would do so.

    In comes that flexibility. A very important tool with the new CBA, allowing us to make certain moves according to the team needs. The draft has blessed us with Bargnani, Derozan, Ross, and Valanciunas, supposedly our core group, now we add Fields, Lowry, Acy, JL3, and other talent via free agency/trade, would create a group of potential.
    Over the years we win, and guys start declining their options, and testing the market, and we could score on a solid free agent, maybe not a star, but another player who has talent who could make an impact.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    We may be a fringe playoff team next year, 6-8 spots, than I think that's great. Only to know, unlike Milwaukee, or Philly, we are NOT a treadmill team.

    The youth speaks for itself, we will NOT be an Oklahoma City Thunder team, but the team has the potential to get better every single year. As guys experience, as guys individually learn the game, learn the system, develop and buy into the culture, it could turn into a team that is contending in 3-4 years. Winning over time will make some type of noise, with winning, we can attract certain free agents.

    Someone pointed out to me in the past, winning is a major need to attract others. Making the playoffs in the 6-8 spots, and bettering over time would do so.

    In comes that flexibility. A very important tool with the new CBA, allowing us to make certain moves according to the team needs. The draft has blessed us with Bargnani, Derozan, Ross, and Valanciunas, supposedly our core group, now we add Fields, Lowry, Acy, JL3, and other talent via free agency/trade, would create a group of potential.
    Over the years we win, and guys start declining their options, and testing the market, and we could score on a solid free agent, maybe not a star, but another player who has talent who could make an impact.
    I agree. I feel like we can slowly inch closer and closer into the playoffs. The only worry a Raptors fan would have over the next two years is whether or not we can convince Lowry to sign an extension. It would really suck if we are only have a rental of Lowry for two years. Hopefully we can start off the future on the right foot and make playoffs next season :P

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    jimmyhunter wrote:
    People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....
    We are the Toronto Raptors, and you're tryna tell me BC should of fielded a top 3 team this year or some shit? You're complaining about "being amazing compared to last year". Wtf else were we suppose to do. We tried to get nash it failed despite what you think, that wouldve helped us compete a bit more this year, but probably not as mu ch in the long run. If you were as patient as you say you were you'd take a step back and realize that there isnt much any GM can do with a team and a roster that isn't screaming "WE'RE A CONTENDER" when you aren't in a big market. Lots of teams didn't do well this offseason. If anything this offseason showed if you don't have a perennial all-star recruiting for you, or a big market , or a winning team how the fuck are you going to entice ppl to come here outside of making the right trades and making us "amazing compared to last year".

    Yes BC has fucked up plenty, but hes also good at fixing his mistakes, at least we have a GM who makes moves. Would we better with another GM, who knows probably maybe, would we be worse off the answers the exact same. That answer won't change until we start winning games or move cities, or somehow draft the next KD or some shit.

    Stop claiming to be patient cuz its fans like you that make GMs do stupid shit like chase Steve Nash.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maintaining flexibility is key. If we can be a fringe play-off team and remain so for a few years, it's only a matter of time before we become an attractive destination for elite free agents. A winner is what most free agents are looking for. Things like taxes, cold weather, Canada etc are nonsense. As far as BC is concerned, I think MLSE would be wise in picking up his option year after which they'll have a clear idea of whether his rebuilding plan is working or not.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....
    I think we are saying the same thing except I have taken glass half full while you have taken half empty approach.

    Raps are better - that is a good thing - and the point of the thread was to highlight the flexibility that still remains to add a significant talent.

    So many factors go in to making a transaction given there are 29 other NBA teams and hundreds of players yet only a small percentage of top talent.

    Clearly you have no faith in BC and, at this point and in my opinion, you can not be faulted for such a view given all the hype and spin BC has put out there with very little to show.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    If a GM ever predicates his moves on fan reactions then he's stupid and should be fired. I don't get what your point is? BC hasn't changed his philosophy towards building a team since he got here. It's build, but keep flexability, get nowhere, rebuild, be an above average team, fall off a little, retool, rebuild ect. I can't think of a team in this league that is both in great financial standing, but also contending yearly. OKC is unique in that they've still got rookie contracts on two stars. We're going to be paying in the doublefigures for DeRozan, Lowry, Bargs and almost Fields in a few years assuming the team stays in tact for the most part. We'd also have Ross and Val to worry about, not to mention Davis if he develops as expected. We'll be cash strapped soon with a ceiling that stops just short of contending. Woop be excited about our potential. I've been a fan since 2000 and I'd say I've had plenty of reasons withing that time to lose patience. You're telling me it was smart to overpay on two contracts to compete on a limited level for a couple years? Really? Thank god it didn't work out. My point is this is as good as it gets with BC. Don't expect a better roster because this guy finds a way to not deliver every time. Sure he'll have the cash and assets but he'll get a J.O'neall or a Turkoglu cause he doesn't understand the concept of winning big.
    You haven't seen the team play and gel together where it really matters, on the court, & you're already writing them off.. Every team wants to contend and win a championship, but there are 30 teams in this league, & only 1 winner... An organization bringing in success every year, making money, making fans happy, & having players work hard in their job day in and day out is something I prefer than a one time team to win one championship, than be back on stage one. From a non-basketball related stand-point, the Chicago Blackhawks were that team in 2010 I believe it was. The Dallas Mavericks.. Look where they are now? A championship team to a mediocre bunch, after trying to score, score, and score on a free agent.

    The poster said it best earlier, we aren't the Lakers, we aren't the Celtics, we aren't the Knicks..
    This is the only way we can build a good team, through trades, having to overpay in free agency, and the draft.. We aren't attracting anyone right now with nothing but our flexibility...

    You tell me what BC's philosophy is and whay hasn't changed, because our most knowledgable posters and many others really believe we've made successful moves moving in a DIRECTION towards the ultimate goal.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    The poster said it best earlier, we aren't the Lakers, we aren't the Celtics, we aren't the Knicks..
    This is the only way we can build a good team, through trades, having to overpay in free agency, and the draft.. We aren't attracting anyone right now with nothing but our flexibility...

    You tell me what BC's philosophy is and whay hasn't changed, because our most knowledgable posters and many others really believe we've made successful moves moving in a DIRECTION towards the ultimate goal.

    Dude - if we overpay for free agents we won't have any $$$ left for others on our roster or stud free agents..... Overpaying for mediocre players is not the way to do it!! You have to draft a stud or two.....its the only way....

    LA Lakers (Kobe, Bynum)
    San Antonio (Tim Duncan, Ginobli, Parker)
    Dallas (Nowitski)
    Miami Heat (Wade)
    Boston (Pierce)

    All teams that won a championship within the last 10 years

    OKC (Durant, Westbrook, Harden) - may win it next year

    I would rather trade away players for more draft picks = better chance at finding that stud

    We just gave away a draft pick next year so that we can MAYBE make the playoffs......***

    I just hope Lowry doesn't take off in 2 years after the big disappointment that usually happens in T.O.

    Dont get me wrong.... I'm a Raptors fan for LIFE..... i just think the only person we should be overpaying is a GREAT GM or President.... someone who thinks that its CHAMPIONSHIPs or BUST....

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Dude - if we overpay for free agents we won't have any $$$ left for others on our roster or stud free agents..... Overpaying for mediocre players is not the way to do it!! You have to draft a stud or two.....its the only way....

    LA Lakers (Kobe, Bynum)
    San Antonio (Tim Duncan, Ginobli, Parker)
    Dallas (Nowitski)
    Miami Heat (Wade)
    Boston (Pierce)

    All teams that won a championship within the last 10 years

    OKC (Durant, Westbrook, Harden) - may win it next year

    I would rather trade away players for more draft picks = better chance at finding that stud

    We just gave away a draft pick next year so that we can MAYBE make the playoffs......***

    I just hope Lowry doesn't take off in 2 years after the big disappointment that usually happens in T.O.

    Dont get me wrong.... I'm a Raptors fan for LIFE..... i just think the only person we should be overpaying is a GREAT GM or President.... someone who thinks that its CHAMPIONSHIPs or BUST....
    If everyone on the Raptors lives up to their full potential, then they could easily be a couple pieces away from being a top team in the East. There is no one way to build a team, they can't just blow everything up until they get a stud in the draft

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •