Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Youth and Financial Freedom: Raps current roster beyond 2012-13

Post Thanks / Like

Ibaka signs 4 year, $40M deal with OKC. OKC's payroll now up to around $73M and that does not include Harden's extension or even qualifying offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--se...homa-city.html

Now that OKC is in to luxury tax territory, next season if OKC were to resign Harden to a $12M deal that would actually be $33.25M per season (salary plus $1.50 tax on first $5M, $1.75 on second $5M, $2.50 tax on final $2M = $21.25 in tax).

Harden is a great player but is he worth $33.25M per season?

**Not saying he is coming to Toronto but the odds seem greater he'd be in Toronto in 2013-14 versus OKC**

EDIT

In the above I forgot to take in to account the contracts that were NOT guaranteed. They have about $80M in contracts but only $59M in unguaranteed contracts (including Ibaka's new deal) for 7 players.

This is probably not the big deal I initially thought it was as they could resign Harden for close to max or max, round out the roster with minimum contracts and be looking at a tax bill around $9-10M versus the scenario I gave above.

EDIT 2.0:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Serge Ibaka deal is 4 years, $48 million, league source tells Y! Sports.
    That seems more realistic. The $10M would have been a bargain based on the contracts given out to bigs of late.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Aug 18th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Ibaka signs 4 year, $40M deal with OKC. OKC's payroll now up to around $73M and that does not include Harden's extension or even qualifying offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--se...homa-city.html

Now that OKC is in to luxury tax territory, next season if OKC were to resign Harden to a $12M deal that would actually be $33.25M per season (salary plus $1.50 tax on first $5M, $1.75 on second $5M, $2.50 tax on final $2M = $21.25 in tax).

Harden is a great player but is he worth $33.25M per season?

**Not saying he is coming to Toronto but the odds seem greater he'd be in Toronto in 2013-14 versus OKC**

EDIT

In the above I forgot to take in to account the contracts that were NOT guaranteed. They have about $80M in contracts but only $59M in unguaranteed contracts (including Ibaka's new deal) for 7 players.

This is probably not the big deal I initially thought it was as they could resign Harden for close to max or max, round out the roster with minimum contracts and be looking at a tax bill around $9-10M versus the scenario I gave above.

EDIT 2.0:

That seems more realistic. The $10M would have been a bargain based on the contracts given out to bigs of late.
    I think that the extension of Ibaka first could foreshadow things down the road. Depending on how Harden plays this season, and how Perry Jones III pans out, big things could change for OKC.

With your idea of Harden in Toronto makes me smile. Harden > Derozan any day of the week. Although, the pay for Derozan would certainly be cheaper if I'm not mistaken, and Derozan has this year to prove what kind of player he is.

Post Thanks / Like

**Time to update this with DeRozan's contract added in to the mix.**

The Raps are younger, deeper, and (most importantly) better than they were on April 26, 2012 (last day of season 2011-12 season).

When looking at the roster, 2 things stand out: youth and money.

#1) Youth - players signed beyond 2012-13 (all ages as of December 31, 2012):

John Lucas III 30
    Gray 28
    McGuire 27
    Bargnani 27
    Kleiza 27
    Lowry 26
    Amir 25
    Fields 24
    ED 23
    DD 23
    Acy 22
    TR 21
    JV 20

#2) Money

Gray $2.7m
    Bargnani $10.75m
    Kleiza* $4.6m
    Lowry $6.2m
    Amir $6.55m
    Fields $6.3m
    ED $3.158m
    DD $9.5M
    Acy $790k
    TR $2.232
    JV $2.938

TOTAL: $55.718 in committed salaries for 2013-14 for 11 players (Team option on JL3 for $1.6M and McGuire for $1.1M - $58.42M for 13 players).

Raptors also hold amnesty that could be used on Bargnani, Kleiza, or Amir to free up $4.6m-$11m. Kleiza is the only one I'd say is a possibility.

Cap Space: depends on what happens with amnesty and BRI split. Current salary cap is $58M. Rumours of adding up to $5M. Right now, if things stayed as they are, Raps would have Calderon's Bird Rights, mid-level exception, and minimum contrats. If cap space goes up $5M, it likely does nothing for the Raptors as to use that space they'd have to renounce Calderon and the MLE. If cap space goes up $5M and Raps amnesty