Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Being realistic....Players I Want on the Raptors in 2012-13

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'm thinking someone with potential to be a all star. I like Lowry as well, but I don't think he's got the ability to take over a game. James Harde and his stupid beard fits the bill imo. I'd be okay with a max offer sent his way.
    I like Harden and would love for him to be on the Raps, but he's a west coast kid who has already mentioned Phoenix as a possible team he'd be interested in (who would probably be interested since they lost out on Gordon). I think it would be tough to try and get Harden via free agency.

Easier in my opinion would be to get the stud via trade.

Post Thanks / Like

In this current climate where Ryan Anderson is receiving a contract which pays him $9 million a season, and Roy Hibbert and Eric Gordon are getting max contracts I think waiting until the next off season to give James Harden a max offer is not unreasonable. Or perhaps a trade with OKC during the season if you can get some sort of commitment from Harden. Move Ross to SF next season and say good-bye to the days of being a bottom dweller in the east.

Lowry
    Harden
    T. Ross
    Bargnani
    JV
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really not all that high on Harden. I think he's a solid player who has excelled in a 6th man role on a great OKC team, playing in the shadow of the Durant/Westbrook tandem. When he was being counted on to perform in the finals, he was terrible. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I don't think he'd be any better than guys like Gay or Iggy, when thrust into the starring role as a team's #1 option go-to guy. I'd be worried giving him max money, but you're absolutely right that multiple teams will likely be lining up to do just that.

I expect OKC to retain him, while probably letting Ibaka leave first. However, if they decide to let Harden go and pursue a S&T, then I seriously doubt he would choose Toronto over other would-be suitors. As planetmars mentioned, he has already mentioned Phoenix and I'm sure he'd be lured by the bright lights of a big market US team, rather than coming to Toronto, just based on my read of him and his persona.

I'd definitely rank him up there at the top of the list of targets for Toronto to pursue, who might actually be available, but I seriously doubt he'd pick Toronto. For me, trading for Gay/Iggy would be option #1. I'm not as high on Granger/Deng as some others are, mainly because I don't think they'd be a big enough upgrade over the player(s) we'd have to give up.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Aug 1st, 2012 at 01:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    what about JaJuan Johnson as a 3rd string SG? I think he was involved in the Courtney Lee sign-and-trade as well. He can hit the mid range jumper and has some attack at the rim
    Jajuan Johnson? Isn't he a 6'9" power forward...?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really not all that high on Harden. I think he's a solid player who has excelled in a 6th man role on a great OKC team, playing in the shadow of the Durant/Westbrook tandem. When he was being counted on to perform in the finals, he was terrible. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I don't think he'd be any better than guys like Gay or Iggy, when thrust into the starring role as a team's #1 option go-to guy. I'd be worried giving him max money, but you're absolutely right that multiple teams will likely be lining up to do just that.

I expect OKC to retain him, while probably letting Ibaka leave first. However, if they decide to let Harden go and pursue a S&T, then I seriously doubt he would choose Toronto over other would-be suitors. As planetmars mentioned, he has already mentioned Phoenix and I'm sure he'd be lured by the bright lights of a big market US team, rather than coming to Toronto, just based on my read of him and his persona.

I'd definitely rank him up there at the top of the list of targets for Toronto to pursue, who might actually be available, but I seriously doubt he'd pick Toronto. For me, trading for Gay/Iggy would be option #1. I'm not as high on Granger/Deng as some others are, mainly because I don't think they'd be a big enough upgrade over the player(s) we'd have to give up.
    Getting him to pick Toronto is tough as he will likely receive max offers from other teams (everyone that misses out on D. Howard) which also make it unlikely OKC retains him as Durant and Westbrook are already receiving max money if I'm not mistaken.

I use to think about Rajon Rondo the same way you think of Harden that he's playing off great players, but I had to admit Rondo has carved out a nice career for himself now. Harden too could be a player that is fully capable of standing in the spot light on his own. He has great intangibles like leadership and drive and has a lot of great physical gifts as well. Perhaps opportunity is the only thing he is lacking. He knows how to win unlike Iggy whom has always played second fiddle and Gay just seems like a black hole when the ball is in his hands. Any ways that's my two cents and whom I would target next season if I felt I had a chance to get him. As you mentioned already it won't be easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting him to pick Toronto is tough as he will likely receive max offers from other teams (everyone that misses out on D. Howard) which also make it unlikely OKC retains him as Durant and Westbrook are already receiving max money if I'm not mistaken.

I use to think about Rajon Rondo the same way you think of Harden that he's playing off great players, but I had to admit Rondo has carved out a nice career for himself now. Harden too could be a player that is fully capable of standing in the spot light on his own. He has great intangibles like leadership and drive and has a lot of great physical gifts as well. Perhaps opportunity is the only thing he is lacking. He knows how to win unlike Iggy whom has always played second fiddle and Gay just seems like a black hole when the ball is in his hands. Any ways that's my two cents and whom I would target next season if I felt I had a chance to get him. As you mentioned already it won't be easy.
    Racist!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Racist!
    You're just bitter Edison stole your ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

You're just bitter Edison stole your ideas.
    Haha

Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just sayin' but uh, Terrence Williams is available if anyone cares that is

Post Thanks / Like

As well, with all this talk bout trading for Granger, I think Indiana would value Aaron Gray more than Davis, they don't exactly have a rebounder on their 2nd unit, so if we do sign T. Williams like I suggested above we could have a package like this,
    Kleiza-Calderon-Gray-and that 2nd rounder we got for JJ would do it.

Disclaimer: this is speculation

Post Thanks / Like

Actually just found out that Milicic got amnestied we could get him and then add Johnson or Davis to the package and take away the 2nd rounder.

I hope this isn't what u may call a stupid comment

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Just sayin' but uh, Terrence Williams is available if anyone cares that is
    dude where the hell are we going to put terrence williams if we do sign him(which we wont)? he's sure as hell not going to be satisfied as a 3rd string SG or SF

Post Thanks / Like

Um, it is/was/will always be speculation thank you very much, and what happens if they trade Kleiza in a package for Granger

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Um, it is/was/will always be speculation thank you very much, and what happens if they trade Kleiza in a package for Granger
    they wont

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I like Harden and would love for him to be on the Raps, but he's a west coast kid who has already mentioned Phoenix as a possible team he'd be interested in (who would probably be interested since they lost out on Gordon). I think it would be tough to try and get Harden via free agency.

Easier in my opinion would be to get the stud via trade.
    Harden didn't mention being interested in Phoenix, he politely answered a question from Arizona media about possibly playing for the Suns. While technically they're the same thing, it's not like he brought it up.

I suppose he could have replied "not a chance" and burned those bridges though (he went to Arizona State). He followed that by saying that he loves what OKC has going for it, but that is usually ignored because that would kill any (content generating) rumours/reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just reading an idea for a trade with Toronto and Detroit. Calderon for Bynum and Prince. Would have made more sense prior to picking up JL3 and Fields, but any thoughts? Would Prince have brought some good veteran leadership and defense to the Rap's? Here is teh article:

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2012/7...e-for-calderon

Post Thanks / Like

Was just reading an idea for a trade with Toronto and Detroit. Calderon for Bynum and Prince. Would have made more sense prior to picking up JL3 and Fields, but any thoughts? Would Prince have brought some good veteran leadership and defense to the Rap's? Here is teh article:

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2012/7...e-for-calderon
    Dwane Casey did note we needed a small forward, a veteran, a good defender, and someone who can shoot the ball. This fits into that mold, I wouldn't mind him. Would I have Prince over Fields? 2 years ago? Hell yeah. Now? I don't know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information