Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Bill Simmons Sums Up our Offseason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You see, this is the issue I have with Simmons. The dig is made without really looking objectively at the situation. He is doing it just to get a response..... which I have gone for hook, line, and sinker.

In their matchup on the court at the same time, JV had 7 points and 4 rebs while Mosgov had 9 points and 2 rebs. The AND-1 Mosgov had came on the first play back in to the game at the 4 minutes mark of the 3rd quarter after JV had sat since being subbed out at 3:42 of the first quarter. Mosgov is also 6 years older with 2 years NBA experience under his belt.

For a 20 year old who has no idea of where to go or what to do, 7 points and 9 rebounds in 15:44 is just incredible.

Now just imagine if he gets a supportive coach who is willing to mentor, instill confidence, and play through a mistake or two *GASP!*
    I think Simmons is just out to stir up controversey and drum up chatter. In this case, not only with Raptors fans, but with Knicks & Nuggets fans too!

I personally think Denver made out quite well in the 'Melo trade, especially since I've always believed that 'Melo was an overrated, volume scoring ball hog. To get Gallinari, Mozgov, Chandler, Felton, a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks and $3M cash, while also unloading Williams, Carter and Balkman, I think was a great trade. Yes, it was tough to give up Billups, but he was old, expensive and sure to start declining in the near future, so I think it was acceptable for a rebuilding team.

That entire Simmons rant was just fodder for bloggers to go off on... which is exactly what I think he was hoping for, to help build his following and help him 'trend'. I just shrug it off, as I do with most 'expert insights' from US reporters when they decide to cover the Raps.

Post Thanks / Like

Simmons has said a few times he likes to rile up raptor fans because they're amongst the most rabid in the league, which he respects.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Simmons has said a few times he likes to rile up raptor fans because they're amongst the most rabid in the league, which he respects.
    yea you got that right. And we're proud of it right? well i am

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    rabid....sensitive

same things I guess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    rabid....sensitive

same things I guess
    I disagree to a point... I get the feeling that some fanbases are completely indifferent, which is the worst possibility, IMO. Too many US cities have so many pro teams, on top of top tier NCAA schools and Nascar hotbeds, that I think the NBA gets bumped so far down their fan pecking order... it's the one good thing about having the only Canadian NBA team! Plus Toronto/Canada only has 1 MLB team, no NFL team and most Canadians aren't nearly as interested in NCAA (football/basketball) or nascar as Americans, so it's really only the NHL that the Raptors have to compete against. I think it's a huge advantage for the Raps!

I really don't think the fans are sensitive... I would say "passionately involved"!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I disagree to a point... I get the feeling that some fanbases are completely indifferent, which is the worst possibility, IMO. Too many US cities have so many pro teams, on top of top tier NCAA schools and Nascar hotbeds, that I think the NBA gets bumped so far down their fan pecking order... it's the one good thing about having the only Canadian NBA team! Plus Toronto/Canada only has 1 MLB team, no NFL team and most Canadians aren't nearly as interested in NCAA (football/basketball) or nascar as Americans, so it's really only the NHL that the Raptors have to compete against. I think it's a huge advantage for the Raps!

I really don't think the fans are sensitive... I would say "passionately involved"!
    Not a fan of hockey. As much as I live in Canada, I'm all about football and basketball.

Not only are we "passionately involved", but we often like to change our minds..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Not a fan of hockey. As much as I live in Canada, I'm all about football and basketball.

Not only are we "passionately involved", but we often like to change our minds..
    I was talking more generally about the Canadian masses VS the US masses... I would think for most Canadian sports fans, the NBA is either 2nd or3rd on their priority list in the winter (MLB & CFL are done), with NBA fighting with NFL for #2 behind NHL.

Personally, the Raps and NBA are #1 for me. I follow NHL/NFL too in the winter, but much more casually.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting tweets on this subject today:

TheZanTabakHerald TheZanTabakHerald ‏@ZanTabakHerald

@WolstatSun @timpchisholm @raptorshq what did Colangelo ever do to him?

Ryan Wolstat Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

@timpchisholm @raptorshq Bill Simmons has made it very clear over the years he is no Bryan Colangelo backer. Columns, Book of Basketball etc

Tim Chisholm ‏@timpchisholm

Allow me a second to contain my shock. @raptorshq: Sportsguy Beats Up on #Raptors a Bit in Latest Column. http://sbn.to/OSY6MU

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Simmons's column with JV & Keliza references

I knew I couldn't have been the first one to post it...oops sorry about that.

Well, at least Bill was entertained.
    Last edited by Mess; Fri Aug 10th, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Dumbness

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what kind of coaching JV has received up until now, but Casey will make sure he knows where to go on pick n' roll defense...evenutally.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I wouldn't worry about his defense. Look at what DC did to Bargniani's D

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Posted already yesterday fellas.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post150134

Will redirect thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of coaching JV has received up until now, but Casey will make sure he knows where to go on pick n' roll defense...evenutally.
    If he can get Bargnani to understand it and do it (and Bargnani was best p&r defender last year) and get 290lb Aaron Gray to do it effectively (although it took a mid season benching last year to do it) then I have no worries about JV grasping it and excelling at it..... that is just one homer's perspective though!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    For a 20 year old who has no idea of where to go or what to do, 7 points and 9 rebounds in 15:44 is just incredible.

Now just imagine if he gets a supportive coach who is willing to mentor, instill confidence, and play through a mistake or two *GASP!*
    ... and imagine if he gets to play with an (or two) experienced point guard(s) who can run a pick and roll, and can get him the ball exactly where he needs it to pop it in the basket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kuh wrote: View Post
    ... and imagine if he gets to play with an (or two) experienced point guard(s) who can run a pick and roll, and can get him the ball exactly where he needs it to pop it in the basket.
    Man, that is crazy talk.... get out of here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information