Bill Simmons Sums Up our Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

malefax wrote: View Post
    Simmons is a fun read. I like his stuff. But not a journalist.

About Landry Fields, though:

you guys know that if Landry Fields signed ANY offer sheet with Toronto, he couldn't be used in a sign and trade, right? So Toronto did not have to give him a big contract in order to sabotage the Knicks. Even if it was a contract that the Knicks were sure to match, it would serve the purpose.

Therefore, the fact that the contract was made a poison pill means Colangelo ACTUALLY WANTED TO SIGN FIELDS. It was not necessary to offer Fields that much money unless Colangelo did not want the Knicks to match. Therefore, the idea that we are 'stuck' with Fields is, from Colabgelo's perspective, false. He wanted Fields at that price regardless of whether Nash was coming.

Therefore Simmons, unsurprisingly, doesn't know what the f*ck he is talking about and is totally misreading the situation.
    Seems to be a bit of a semantics game going on in this thread. Simmons is a sports journalist. But he is an editorialist as opposed to a reporter.

A reporter just presensts the information. An editorialist presents the same information while including their opinion.

So if the column reads:

a) The Toronto Raptors have traded a protected future first round pick to the Houston Rockets for Kyle Lowry - thats a report.

b) The Toronto Raptors have improved their team by trading a protected future first round pick to the Houston Rockets for Kyle Lowry - thats an editorial

There are very few columns that are presented here (or in general) that aren't editorials.

Toronto could have signed Fields to any offer sheet he'd be willing to sign. So the contract needed to be large enough for him to sign it AND sign it in short order so there was no way he'd be involved in the sign-and-trade. The poison pill was added to make it more difficult for NY to just sign him and keep him anyways (and then potentially use a different player in the deal)

So the idea/opinion that Fields contract was based on effecting NYs ability to get Nash is not necessarily false.
    Last edited by Craiger; Mon Jul 23, 2012, 07:58 AM. Reason: semantics

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

b) The Toronto Raptors have improved their team by trading a protected future first round pick to the Houston Rockets for Kyle Lowry - thats an editorial
      c) The Toronto Raptors have improved their team by trading a protected future first round pick to the Houston Rockets for Kyle Lowry just like that guy in The Wire/Rocky IV/Boogie Nights - that's a Bill Simmons' editorial.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
        c) The Toronto Raptors have improved their team by trading a protected future first round pick to the Houston Rockets for Kyle Lowry just like that guy in The Wire/Rocky IV/Boogie Nights - that's a Bill Simmons' editorial.
        HA!
        shut it down, shut it all down, this thread is complete.

Comment

I bet you Bill Simmons is happy that we have a four page thread where all we do is talk about him. Someone should send him the link.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            Toronto could have signed Fields to any offer sheet he'd be willing to sign. So the contract needed to be large enough for him to sign it AND sign it in short order so there was no way he'd be involved in the sign-and-trade. The poison pill was added to make it more difficult for NY to just sign him and keep him anyways (and then potentially use a different player in the deal)

So the idea/opinion that Fields contract was based on effecting NYs ability to get Nash is not necessarily false.
            It is false unless that is the smallest contract Fields would have agreed to sign. So, fine 'not necessarily' false. How about 'almost certainly' false?

Comment

Probably right, but how about it's "almost certainly false" that the Raptors are stuck with Fields? He's not the big impact 3 most fans wanted (and still want) but he's a good young player who will fit in and play hard and whose contract is not as outrageous as it's being made to seem.

And wouldn't he be a good fit in Memphis or Philly if either of their small forwards mysteriously disappeared? Though I'm not 100% sure how the CBA works with a newly signed player (I'm also just throwing shit out there).
              Last edited by Mess; Mon Jul 23, 2012, 11:50 AM.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Simmons is to journalism what professional wrestling is to professional sport.
                Who cares if he's a journalist. Grantland is my homepage, every Simmons column/podcast is the first thing I read sports related every day. He's funny, he's engaging, he has interesting ideas and opinions, and is widely regarded as one of the most powerful behind the scenes players in sports.

I get that occasionally he bashes our team. He occasionally bashes every team, including scathing Celtics articles. So what?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  1) Glad we can agree. For the record I am also fine with disagreeing.
                  2) There is a huge difference between Bill Simmons and Woj, Marc Stein, Zach Lowe, Howard Beck, David Aldridge, Ken Berger, to name just a few. Simmons is opinionated entertainment. The others listed report news and stories. If you can agree, great, if not, that is fine to.
                  3) I can safely say I've not read or listened to anywhere near 99% of his stuff over the last 5-10 years. I will take you at your word that I am incorrect. However, from the stuff I have read I routinely get the impression that the Raptors are an easy target to make fun of (which is fine because it is deserving, winning cures all, and I have no problem with bashing the Raptors on court 'success') and he perpetuates the notion of Raptor relocation. Even the original post had this line to end the quoted article: "We don't need to get rid of basketball in Canada just yet." I am willing to admit I could be a panzy ass, over sensitive, inferiority complex possessing Raptor fan but, on this matter, I feel confident in my opinion and am willing to disagree on the matter.
                  The Canada comment is a joke.

He's among those lobbying to get Vancouver another NBA franchise.

Comment

Seeten wrote: View Post
                    Who cares if he's a journalist. Grantland is my homepage, every Simmons column/podcast is the first thing I read sports related every day. He's funny, he's engaging, he has interesting ideas and opinions, and is widely regarded as one of the most powerful behind the scenes players in sports.

I get that occasionally he bashes our team. He occasionally bashes every team, including scathing Celtics articles. So what?
                    I'm glad you have an opinion that I can certainly respect.

Hopefully one day you can respect someone else's. Read the thread. This has been beaten to death. A number of posters have certainly provided insight that has changed my view a bit. Their contribution is certainly more valuable than versus, "My opinions and tastes incredible, what is wrong with you?"

Comment

The Canada comment is a joke.

He's among those lobbying to get Vancouver another NBA franchise.
                      It is a joke that has been beaten to death over the years and certainly does not come across as a joke.

Did you see the post on Grantland a few days ago not by Simmons? It was classic american ignorance that I am speaking of.

I have already admitted I am most likely a panzy, thin-skinned, sensitive Raptor fan - what the f*ck else do you want?

Comment

He has several Canadians on staff at Grantland. They do running us vs them stuff. Its a thing.

Context is important, Matt, as you know.

Comment

He has several Canadians on staff at Grantland. They do running us vs them stuff. Its a thing.

Context is important, Matt, as you know.
                          Consider me educated.

I'm not a huge Grantland reader, only going by what I've seen over the years, not claiming to be 100% correct on the matter, just giving my opinion which has been slightly altered (key word, slightly) by other posters.

Comment

Glad I could help, at least a little. If it makes you feel any better, after my impeccable taste in websites has me go to Grantland, I visit Espn.com/nba, then head to Truehoop and make my way to Raptor's Republic

Comment

Glad I could help, at least a little. If it makes you feel any better, after my impeccable taste in websites has me go to Grantland, I visit Espn.com/nba, then head to Truehoop and make my way to Raptor's Republic
                              I'll be sure to check them out. I would recommend a little less ESPN affiliation though to keep your views balanced. HoopsHype.com offers more than TrueHoop in my opinion. Plus don't forget a daily "Toronto Raptor" search on Google News.

My apologies (sincerely) for jumping on you earlier. It was a bit harsh on my end. I was in a rush to get somewhere. Plus, continuing the idea of context, there had been many similar replies as to the one you had and it was a thoroughly discussed topic. Seems people either love or hate Bill Simmons.

Comment

If you want a real good laugh, go to the Blazer's Edge website (Also Truehoop affiliate, iirc) and check out their boards discussions of his "disses" on Portland.

Sh*t gets real!

I love ESPN. Unfortunately, most Canadian basketball sites make me nuts. (TSN, The Score, etc, though I do like TBJ, even if I listen to them through Grantland...lol)

Also, I love Truehoop. Not just good basketball stuff, but I like Henry's attitude, and quest for "truth". I generally end up reading all Raptors related news stories with the exception of Bleacher Report, they just aren't first stops for me.

If we ever have a team really worth spending a large chunk of time on, instead of a team/ownership group that makes my blood pressure rise just by watching them, I'll spend even more time on them. Hopefully one day.

I should mention Yahoo Sports, too. Adrian Wojnarowski is also excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X