Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons Sums Up our Offseason

Post Thanks / Like

Our off season in a nutshell:

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope that a day will come where we'll stop being the butt of jokes.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, ya'll are some sensitive kids up in here.

Simmons is awesome, not only that he's actually one of the only people outside of Canada that watches and talks about the Raptors, he was touting how fun their games were to watch during the Bosh era, he's the only one outside of this board that constantly brings up how Carter screwed us and how big of a bitch he was. And beside that he knows the NBA and he knows how to write an entertaining article.

And he's not that far off in his summing up of what happened. Take off your homer goggles and look at the facts and look at the stats, his story makes much more sense than the stuff you guys are coming up with.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Not until we win something. Anything. 1 round. 2 rounds. I'll stop there for now. A bonus will be if the Celtics are in the toilet while we do.

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think so.

He is a very talented writer.

Remember, I am talking journalism. He is not a journalist.
    Sure, he's a columnist. But he's also one who's quite connected to the basketball world and seems to be able to have intimate chats with many of games top stars. They seem to respect him, but I can understand your viewpoint. He's definitely not for everyone.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post

Simmons is awesome, not only that he's actually one of the only people outside of Canada that watches and talks about the Raptors, he was touting how fun their games were to watch during the Bosh era, he's the only one outside of this board that constantly brings up how Carter screwed us and how big of a bitch he was. And beside that he knows the NBA and he knows how to write an entertaining article.

And he's not that far off in his summing up of what happened. Take off your homer goggles and look at the facts and look at the stats, his story makes much more sense than the stuff you guys are coming up with.
    Seems you are sensitive about Bill.

Looks like sensitivity is something we have in common.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    Sure, he's a columnist. But he's also one who's quite connected to the basketball world and seems to be able to have intimate chats with many of games top stars. They seem to respect him, but I can understand your viewpoint. He's definitely not for everyone.
    Just to clarify:

1) I think he is a great writer,
    2) I do not consider him a journalist,
    3) I am tired of his relocation/digs against Raptors/Toronto - I find it ignorant given how profitable and strong the fan base is and akin to picking on the fat kid with the stutter in grade school because the majority are ignorant enough to find it hilarious.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Fun games during the Bosh era? I must have missed them. Even when the Ws looked half decent. Who was the entertainer? All I saw was Garnett putting elbows in Bosh's face and whispering sweet somethings in his ear and everyone just laid down. Actually Jose was the only one who yapped back at him. Re Carter, anything he wrote about that jerk wasnt a revelation to most. The NBA knew all about his mo and BS just had a subject to play with as he does now.

Look, we are harsh enough on our own team and more. We dont need a smirking Celtic toady to provide his wider audience with a few laughs at our expense on a slow off season day. So, BC overpaid some for Fields and he had a not so good last season. The play for him was the right thing to do. It didnt pan out. It happens. Just got a bit exacerbated because of the big name and Nash being Canadian.

Yeah I am sensitive about the team especially when we try, it doesnt work out and some yuks are blown our way because it's convenient.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some yuks are blown at every team though, that's like getting mad at an insult comic

and the entertaining time was mostly those 2 years we made the playoffs, especially when garbo and parker first came

and matt fair enough, I am a big Simmons fan but I also don't think he wrote anything ridiculous here, just the facts mixed with comedy.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post

Im surprised that at the presscon, nobody dared ask Landry how it felt being the pawn. "Landry, do you know that you werent really a target acquisition, but rather was being used as a deterrent for the Knicks so they can't acquire Nash?" Yikes.
    Perhaps, but it's equally true that New York was using him as a pawn to try to acquire Nash, and hadn't shown much interest in resigning him except as sign-and-trade bait. Dude plays great, exceeds expectations, but becomes an afterthought to New York's superstar approach to team-building. If I were him, I'd relish the opportunity to screw NYK over by moving to a division rival and thwarting their dreams of acquiring Nash. Like they say, in the NBA, money = respect. Toronto was willing to give him $19 million dollars worth of respect, who cares if it was part of a larger plan that fell through.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify:

1) I think he is a great writer,
    2) I do not consider him a journalist,
    3) I am tired of his relocation/digs against Raptors/Toronto - I find it ignorant given how profitable and strong the fan base is and akin to picking on the fat kid with the stutter in grade school because the majority are ignorant enough to find it hilarious.
    1) I agree - his writing is extremely entertaining .. hes been able to capture sports in a way that not many (if any) have .. from the eye of the fan with a relateable twist
    2) what sports "journalists" do you like to read? I find interesting that any of us .. who spend our time reading blogs and comments from random dudes should come down on Simmons for his lack of "journalism" .. needless to say hes infinitely more qualified that we are
    3) I can safely say Ive read / listened to 99% of his stuff over the last 5-10 years .. and its completely inaccurate to say that he continually makes relocation / digs at the Raps. He priases the fan base for being ravid .. and repeatedly talks about how much he likes Canada and Canadians in general.

Dont mean to attack you as you have been somewhat balanced on him relative to others .. but if people actually read / listened to his stuff you'd realize hes the furthest thing from a raps hater ..

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well said

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I really hope that a day will come where we'll stop being the butt of jokes.
    a-friggin-men

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Some yuks are blown at every team though, that's like getting mad at an insult comic

and the entertaining time was mostly those 2 years we made the playoffs, especially when garbo and parker first came

and matt fair enough, I am a big Simmons fan but I also don't think he wrote anything ridiculous here, just the facts mixed with comedy.
    I like a smart and funny take on anything (incl. the Raptors) anytime. And I have much respect for the insult comic who lays it on the line in public/live. That takes balls. Simmons hides behind his word processor. I fail though to see the analogy with Simmons and what was so funny about the play for Nash. It might come across as such for those not invested in the Raptors or for those who have a predisposed notion of Colangelo as having over stayed his tenure here and gleeful at the portrayal. In the first, no problem, enjoy. Re the latter, a cheap and easy validation of an "I told you so" syndrome.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

*YAWN* Another American "writer" bashing a Canadian sports franchise. Can someone wake me up when the season starts. Can't wait.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't make him a journalist.

Columnist? Author? Essayist? Documentary Extraordinaire? Dickhead*?
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

*That is just my opinion because I am sick of the constant Raptor/Toronto bashing with the relocation talk. Anyone seriously arguing moving the Raptors at this time is ignorant or just trying to create discussion/controversy/interest.
    Co-sign.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    *YAWN* Another American "writer" bashing a Canadian sports franchise. Can someone wake me up when the season starts. Can't wait.
    Lol...I hear that. The Raptor's get the worst bashing, ever. Even when we do good. Then, it's "they didn't deserve that win" Lol
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

Post Thanks / Like

In the end, I really don't care what people think, nowadays. If I don't like/get bored of the bashing, I just leave. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's STILL from 'top' writers/journalists. We're not in the office, with THEM, because people fail to realize, it's just not him alone making decisions/persuasions. Front office was more than one guy, last time I checked. Let the season start and let's judge it, then. And like the line of the night goes to Arsenalist:

"I really hope that a day will come where we'll stop being the butt of jokes."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    The guy runs one of the most successful sports & pop culture websites in America. He masterminded the most successful sports documentary series ever. He wrote what is widely considered the bible of basketball, which was a #1 best seller.
    Being a new york times#1 best seller is like bragging about banging the town whore.

To the guy who said bc should come out and say he signed fields to get nash. Would although being honest. Be the worst career move of all-time and probably get him suspended if not fired and make him wanker of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Lol...I hear that. The Raptor's get the worst bashing, ever. Even when we do good. Then, it's "they didn't deserve that win" Lol
    I'll agree americans are so ignorant. But, it's because they don't know any better. But, most of the rippage is warranted because we seem to constantly do more wrong thanright.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information