• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Just to clarify:

1) I think he is a great writer,
    2) I do not consider him a journalist,
    3) I am tired of his relocation/digs against Raptors/Toronto - I find it ignorant given how profitable and strong the fan base is and akin to picking on the fat kid with the stutter in grade school because the majority are ignorant enough to find it hilarious.
    1) I agree - his writing is extremely entertaining .. hes been able to capture sports in a way that not many (if any) have .. from the eye of the fan with a relateable twist
    2) what sports "journalists" do you like to read? I find interesting that any of us .. who spend our time reading blogs and comments from random dudes should come down on Simmons for his lack of "journalism" .. needless to say hes infinitely more qualified that we are
    3) I can safely say Ive read / listened to 99% of his stuff over the last 5-10 years .. and its completely inaccurate to say that he continually makes relocation / digs at the Raps. He priases the fan base for being ravid .. and repeatedly talks about how much he likes Canada and Canadians in general.

Dont mean to attack you as you have been somewhat balanced on him relative to others .. but if people actually read / listened to his stuff you'd realize hes the furthest thing from a raps hater ..

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
      Wow, ya'll are some sensitive kids up in here.

Simmons is awesome, not only that he's actually one of the only people outside of Canada that watches and talks about the Raptors, he was touting how fun their games were to watch during the Bosh era, he's the only one outside of this board that constantly brings up how Carter screwed us and how big of a bitch he was. And beside that he knows the NBA and he knows how to write an entertaining article.

And he's not that far off in his summing up of what happened. Take off your homer goggles and look at the facts and look at the stats, his story makes much more sense than the stuff you guys are coming up with.
      well said

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        I really hope that a day will come where we'll stop being the butt of jokes.
        a-friggin-men
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
          Some yuks are blown at every team though, that's like getting mad at an insult comic

and the entertaining time was mostly those 2 years we made the playoffs, especially when garbo and parker first came

and matt fair enough, I am a big Simmons fan but I also don't think he wrote anything ridiculous here, just the facts mixed with comedy.
          I like a smart and funny take on anything (incl. the Raptors) anytime. And I have much respect for the insult comic who lays it on the line in public/live. That takes balls. Simmons hides behind his word processor. I fail though to see the analogy with Simmons and what was so funny about the play for Nash. It might come across as such for those not invested in the Raptors or for those who have a predisposed notion of Colangelo as having over stayed his tenure here and gleeful at the portrayal. In the first, no problem, enjoy. Re the latter, a cheap and easy validation of an "I told you so" syndrome.

Comment

*YAWN* Another American "writer" bashing a Canadian sports franchise. Can someone wake me up when the season starts. Can't wait.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Doesn't make him a journalist.

Columnist? Author? Essayist? Documentary Extraordinaire? Dickhead*?
              Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

*That is just my opinion because I am sick of the constant Raptor/Toronto bashing with the relocation talk. Anyone seriously arguing moving the Raptors at this time is ignorant or just trying to create discussion/controversy/interest.
              Co-sign.
              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                *YAWN* Another American "writer" bashing a Canadian sports franchise. Can someone wake me up when the season starts. Can't wait.
                Lol...I hear that. The Raptor's get the worst bashing, ever. Even when we do good. Then, it's "they didn't deserve that win" Lol
                The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

Comment

In the end, I really don't care what people think, nowadays. If I don't like/get bored of the bashing, I just leave. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's STILL from 'top' writers/journalists. We're not in the office, with THEM, because people fail to realize, it's just not him alone making decisions/persuasions. Front office was more than one guy, last time I checked. Let the season start and let's judge it, then. And like the line of the night goes to Arsenalist:

"I really hope that a day will come where we'll stop being the butt of jokes."

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                    The guy runs one of the most successful sports & pop culture websites in America. He masterminded the most successful sports documentary series ever. He wrote what is widely considered the bible of basketball, which was a #1 best seller.
                    Being a new york times#1 best seller is like bragging about banging the town whore.

To the guy who said bc should come out and say he signed fields to get nash. Would although being honest. Be the worst career move of all-time and probably get him suspended if not fired and make him wanker of the year.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                      Lol...I hear that. The Raptor's get the worst bashing, ever. Even when we do good. Then, it's "they didn't deserve that win" Lol
                      I'll agree americans are so ignorant. But, it's because they don't know any better. But, most of the rippage is warranted because we seem to constantly do more wrong thanright.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Its pretty obvious that Fields was a gamble to sign Nash. At least BC took the gamble. To be honest who cares if he's worth the money, at least BC gave it a shot. Theres no doubt he attempted a ton of different scenarios to improve the team. Having to take on Fields? meh, at least hes not lazy like turkoglu and he is an improvement over Kleiza.
                        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                          1) I agree - his writing is extremely entertaining .. hes been able to capture sports in a way that not many (if any) have .. from the eye of the fan with a relateable twist
                          2) what sports "journalists" do you like to read? I find interesting that any of us .. who spend our time reading blogs and comments from random dudes should come down on Simmons for his lack of "journalism" .. needless to say hes infinitely more qualified that we are
                          3) I can safely say Ive read / listened to 99% of his stuff over the last 5-10 years .. and its completely inaccurate to say that he continually makes relocation / digs at the Raps. He priases the fan base for being ravid .. and repeatedly talks about how much he likes Canada and Canadians in general.

Dont mean to attack you as you have been somewhat balanced on him relative to others .. but if people actually read / listened to his stuff you'd realize hes the furthest thing from a raps hater ..
                          1) Glad we can agree. For the record I am also fine with disagreeing.
                          2) There is a huge difference between Bill Simmons and Woj, Marc Stein, Zach Lowe, Howard Beck, David Aldridge, Ken Berger, to name just a few. Simmons is opinionated entertainment. The others listed report news and stories. If you can agree, great, if not, that is fine to.
                          3) I can safely say I've not read or listened to anywhere near 99% of his stuff over the last 5-10 years. I will take you at your word that I am incorrect. However, from the stuff I have read I routinely get the impression that the Raptors are an easy target to make fun of (which is fine because it is deserving, winning cures all, and I have no problem with bashing the Raptors on court 'success') and he perpetuates the notion of Raptor relocation. Even the original post had this line to end the quoted article: "We don't need to get rid of basketball in Canada just yet." I am willing to admit I could be a panzy ass, over sensitive, inferiority complex possessing Raptor fan but, on this matter, I feel confident in my opinion and am willing to disagree on the matter.

Comment

I like Simmons for what he is. Entertainment. I listen to his podcast on a regular basis and it is entertaining but he is not exactly the most informed person ever. He questioned how Bargs and JV would be able to play together pretty recently. He also flip flops hard on certain things. Earlier in the year he wanted the Celtics to trade Rondo. During the playoffs he was a born again Rondo fan.

His Toronto moving comments to me seem more like some tongue in cheek jab than anything else. In a lot of ways this franchise is in trouble from a perception standpoint. It is almost impossible to lure free agents here. Even more so than the worst American NBA town. That is why I was so happy to hear Landry Fields comments about how he loved the city. Guy is coming from NY and he heaps praise on the city. That speaks pretty loudly to me.

Look at when Vancouver had a team, a city that is usually ranked as one of the Top 5 cities in the entire world had idiots that go public and say that they didn't want to play there. They would rather play in Houston lol. Its all perception. Far from reality.

Comment

1) Glad we can agree. For the record I am also fine with disagreeing.
                              2) There is a huge difference between Bill Simmons and Woj, Marc Stein, Zach Lowe, Howard Beck, David Aldridge, Ken Berger, to name just a few. Simmons is opinionated entertainment. The others listed report news and stories. If you can agree, great, if not, that is fine to.
                              3) I can safely say I've not read or listened to anywhere near 99% of his stuff over the last 5-10 years. I will take you at your word that I am incorrect. However, from the stuff I have read I routinely get the impression that the Raptors are an easy target to make fun of (which is fine because it is deserving, winning cures all, and I have no problem with bashing the Raptors on court 'success') and he perpetuates the notion of Raptor relocation. Even the original post had this line to end the quoted article: "We don't need to get rid of basketball in Canada just yet." I am willing to admit I could be a panzy ass, over sensitive, inferiority complex possessing Raptor fan but, on this matter, I feel confident in my opinion and am willing to disagree on the matter.
                              fair enough .. there is no doubt that DA, Stein etc serve a different purpse (although the lines are blurring given many of these guys get a lot of their airtime via twitter these days - a forum that is arguably more "simmons-esque" in the sense that its meant to be punchy, get out a fact and give a quick take on a situation.) But .. this is semantics .. not really worth arguing about .. other than to say I bet if you asked most of the guys you listed whether or not they respect bill's work / opinions, you would get a resounding yes.
                              On the last point ... he does make toungue and cheek references' to/jabs at the Raps .. and, as an american, he still has the same biases that most americans do (including the "journalists" you mention, btw). But, if you focus on the odd snipit (he pokes fun at pretty much everything including his celtics and basically every player / member of mgmt there), you will miss the substance .. which is generally speaking very pro raps and pro Canada ..

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                                fair enough .. there is no doubt that DA, Stein etc serve a different purpse (although the lines are blurring given many of these guys get a lot of their airtime via twitter these days - a forum that is arguably more "simmons-esque" in the sense that its meant to be punchy, get out a fact and give a quick take on a situation.) But .. this is semantics .. not really worth arguing about .. other than to say I bet if you asked most of the guys you listed whether or not they respect bill's work / opinions, you would get a resounding yes.
                                On the last point ... he does make toungue and cheek references' to/jabs at the Raps .. and, as an american, he still has the same biases that most americans do (including the "journalists" you mention, btw). But, if you focus on the odd snipit (he pokes fun at pretty much everything including his celtics and basically every player / member of mgmt there), you will miss the substance .. which is generally speaking very pro raps and pro Canada ..
                                To be clear on first bold point: I've never questioned his writing ability. Much like the majority of professional wrestlers are very much gifted athletes, Simmons is a very gifted writer.

Second bold point: I think we've mutually reached the point of agreeing to disagree

Comment

Working...
                                X