Valanciunas - the most athletic I've seen him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mess wrote: View Post
    I don't think he's on the same level of athleticism as Robinson or Howard, they both came into the league ripped. And he doesn't have the same hops as McGee, but he'll do just fine.

http://www.sportando.net/video/eng/1...the-glass.html
    Actually McGee doesn't have the hops one would think he has. He's just long and has amazing wingspan. Look at his draftexpress profile. If you look at most of his dunks you can see that he doesn't have great lift, but with a 7'6'' wingspan he doesn't need it.

Comment

The mcgee and chandler comparisons are delusional.I have watched him run the floor and finish strongly but he lacks freakish athleticism. If he bulks up it will not do him much goood on the offensive end. If he doesn't he will get pushed around on d playing center. Isee him as a hybrid Marc gasol, Bogut and hibbert in a few years. If he picks up elite post moves we can talk about pau comparisons

Comment

Over the last year I've sort of let my expectations get tempered, thinking more of the mediocrity of having a rookie 8/7 center and less about just how exciting this guy is as a player. Videos like that...I haven't been as excited about a young guy joining the team in a long time, he is so athletic and energetic - I love the way he gets off the floor and really wants to dunk.

He reminds me of Chris Anderson on offence - not a projection of impact, he just reminds me of him.

Comment

I have said it before....Brad Daugherty
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Oh man...I'm impressed with that one.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Ok, so I've been thinking about this since someone mentioned once again how his floor is often set at Joakim Noah. It's always easier to think of floors (Noah, Chandler) because they are guys who lack talents. It's much harder to think of ceiling comparisons, especially for JV in this day's NBA. So what do you guys think is a decent comparison from any period?

The best comparison I can come up with for a best-case that still resembles his skill set and body type: David Robinson. Not sure he'll be the scorer Robinson was, especially in the first half of his career, but I see a lot of similarities in their games. Great defenders. Good length. Good motor. Fluid athletes, and both lean. I don't know how big JV gets, but I don't know if he'll ever get "clumsy" big. Variety of offensive skills. Good p'n'r players. JV's range already looks like it'll cap out at the FT line, which is about the same as Robinson.
              He shoots over %80 from the free throw line, so not sure where the idea he's a poor shooter, or has no possibility for shooting range is coming from. He took a ton of free throws in the u18 and shoot what %88?

On the other hand, highlight reels never show his outside shooting prowess, because he's busy rolling to the rim every chance he gets. Color me happy. If there is one thing the NBA doesn't need, its more outside shooting bigs. For godsake, work on rolling and posting. JV gets it. He doesn't pick and pop, he rolls, rolls, rolls.

Comment

Seeten wrote: View Post
                He shoots over %80 from the free throw line, so not sure where the idea he's a poor shooter, or has no possibility for shooting range is coming from. ..
                If you recall those Raptors TV specials about Jonas, there were lots of examples of him drilling it from outside in practice. All the highlight reels want to fill themselves up with dunks. Earlier on in the year I recall summary clips form games in Europe that showed him hitting threes and lots from outside.

Someone who has seen more of him play correct me, but what I see is very good mechanics and everything needed for a formidable outside game.

Comment

He lacks CONFIDENCE in making these. So in other words practice. He tries to go for 100% opportunities while attacking so it's usually under the basket, if it's not wise to make a shot, he passes.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

So i was just talking to a friend of mine who's a Spurs fan and he was saying they were so hot for him the trade offered for our pick was more than just Tony Parker, it also involved a pick and another player. Word is Buford and the rest of the brass feel he's the closest thing to Duncan (fundamentals, athleticism) that's come into the league since Duncan.

That's high, high praise.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      So i was just talking to a friend of mine who's a Spurs fan and he was saying they were so hot for him the trade offered for our pick was more than just Tony Parker, it also involved a pick and another player. Word is Buford and the rest of the brass feel he's the closest thing to Duncan (fundamentals, athleticism) that's come into the league since Duncan.

Come on man... I'm trying to hold back my expectations (and failing already), then you go and say something like that?? I am genuinely PUMPED for this season to start!!

Comment

Woooot

Comment

Tim Duncan is arguably the greatest power forward in the game..

Temper your expectations, temper your expectations..

Nah! JV's the saviour! :P
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

love his fire
                            This is the thing that gets me excited. He just gets so amped for everything he does. That type of passion can lead to a lot of good things.

Comment

I do see a little Timmy in how he finishes his dunks using his quick hops & long arms while keeping the ball high. He's been around so long I forget how raw he was as a rookie but I'm pretty sure his post up game was a bit more (a lot more) polished than JV's is right now. But given time and a lot of work it will get better, but I'm not going to imagine it will get close to Tim Duncan's...but even 80% of that would be amazing to see.

And are you sure your friend just didn't see that deal in the Spurs trading forum somewhere?
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

He's actually a sports writer in the states.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X