No announcement yet.

Valanciunas - the most athletic I've seen him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd take that bet..though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else won. AD is going to be great but unless he gets fed the ball on O and/or leads the league in blocks and top 10 in rebounds, neither of them will win RoY. Voters usually give it to a scorer since they think they make more of an impact on the game.

I don't expect JV to get the eye-catching numbers required for RoY and I will not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. I imagine (and hope) he'll get at least one Rookie of the Month award though, for whatever that is worth.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

if JV turns into a bust can everyone agree Colangelo needs to be fired?
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post

JV could be a bust and the Raptors could still improve considerably and become a winning club.
        If that happened (long shot at best) then BC does not need to be fired.

JV could be a star and the Raptors could remain a losing club.
        If that happened, then BC would need to be replaced after the team option next year (between 2013-14 and 2014-15 season).

Comment

I'm fairly confident in saying that the odds of JV becoming a bust are slim to none.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
            Am I the only one that thinks while he can really run, he doesn't look like he's got too much lift?
            Ye he didn't jump too high from what I saw..

Comment

His long arms help offset that. Besides, the Raptors don't need him to hit his head on the rim or goaltend shots like JaVale McGee.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I'm fairly confident in saying that the odds of JV becoming a bust are slim to none.
                +1
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  His long arms help offset that. Besides, the Raptors don't need him to hit his head on the rim or goaltend shots like JaVale McGee.
                  hahaha ;D yes indeed
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Ok, so I've been thinking about this since someone mentioned once again how his floor is often set at Joakim Noah. It's always easier to think of floors (Noah, Chandler) because they are guys who lack talents. It's much harder to think of ceiling comparisons, especially for JV in this day's NBA. So what do you guys think is a decent comparison from any period?

The best comparison I can come up with for a best-case that still resembles his skill set and body type: David Robinson. Not sure he'll be the scorer Robinson was, especially in the first half of his career, but I see a lot of similarities in their games. Great defenders. Good length. Good motor. Fluid athletes, and both lean. I don't know how big JV gets, but I don't know if he'll ever get "clumsy" big. Variety of offensive skills. Good p'n'r players. JV's range already looks like it'll cap out at the FT line, which is about the same as Robinson.

Comment

Maybe if Jonas was a surprise pick, but really the concensus was that it was a great pick and that he's gotten a lot better since the 2011 draft. If you're going to fire Bryco for making what is universally considered to be a fantastic draft selection that eventually didn't pan out, then you'd better be calling for the heads of every other jouralist, analyst, and fan out there.

Hell, now that I'm thinking back on it, the only questionable pick Colangelo has made based on the prevailing opinions of the time would be this year's selection of Terrence Ross. And even then I wasn't enthralled with any of the other options left by the time the 8th spot came up. Say what you want about his other team management skills, but his drafting has always been fairly solid, even if some didn't work out they way everybody expected.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Ok, so I've been thinking about this since someone mentioned once again how his floor is often set at Joakim Noah. It's always easier to think of floors (Noah, Chandler) because they are guys who lack talents. It's much harder to think of ceiling comparisons, especially for JV in this day's NBA. So what do you guys think is a decent comparison from any period?

The best comparison I can come up with for a best-case that still resembles his skill set and body type: David Robinson. Not sure he'll be the scorer Robinson was, especially in the first half of his career, but I see a lot of similarities in their games. Great defenders. Good length. Good motor. Fluid athletes, and both lean. I don't know how big JV gets, but I don't know if he'll ever get "clumsy" big. Variety of offensive skills. Good p'n'r players. JV's range already looks like it'll cap out at the FT line, which is about the same as Robinson.
                        Interesting comparison. Here's hoping it comes true

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

The Admiral was a 25 year old rookie. JV has a 5 year head start.

Comment

the admiral was also basically dwight howard, except on steroids, and about a million times more skilled offensively.

so if you see dwight howard type athleticism and one of the greatest offensive skill-sets for a big man of all time then i think it's a great comparison.

otherwise i think you might be aiming a little high

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
                              the admiral was also basically dwight howard, except on steroids, and about a million times more skilled offensively.

so if you see dwight howard type athleticism and one of the greatest offensive skill-sets for a big man of all time then i think it's a great comparison.

otherwise i think you might be aiming a little high
                              +1 I really see JV right NOW, to Mcgee, but obviously not a dumb-ass, high IQ player for sure. Both fairly raw, both have good length and athleticism, a knack for shot blocking, both do have some question marks offensively and defensively. I don't know why people don't see that as much as I do. Than again, my opinion. I just believe he's a smarter Javale Mcgee, which is a plus for me... Mcgee is a solid player other than being a knuckle head, he's got really good potential.

Floor to Joakim Noah, and after thinking really hard about it.. A more athletic, healthier, higher motored, but less stronger Andrew Bynum? Bynum is easily the second best center right now, and with still so much growing room left.

Than again, my opinion, but Bynum also seems unlikely.

EDIT* Someone said it best up top, I don't think with the like of JV, there might not be anyone within his mold. JV is a very unique big man.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I don't think he's on the same level of athleticism as Robinson or Howard, they both came into the league ripped. And he doesn't have the same hops as McGee, but he'll do just fine.

http://www.sportando.net/video/eng/1...the-glass.html

Comment

Working...
                                X