Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Valanciunas - the most athletic I've seen him

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    he's going to be the best C in NBA History. You can never be too optimistic
    Oh my. Let's let him become the best center in OUR history first. Shouldn't be too difficult but that's step one. I can't wait to get up to Air Canada to see him this season!

Post Thanks / Like

Can he really dethrone Rasho? Antonio Davis? Montross?

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanna bleep his bleep! Whoa wait... what did I just say?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
    Jonas the Saviour!
    Let's not get too far up into the hype as to say that he is our savior. Let's wait to watch him play in the NBA first....

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Can he really dethrone Rasho? Antonio Davis? Montross?
    most likely

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be pretty sad if he didn't.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that thinks while he can really run, he doesn't look like he's got too much lift?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kennay wrote: View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks while he can really run, he doesn't look like he's got too much lift?
    No, most people will agree with that. Can't have it all.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
    Jonas the Saviour!
    lol wow no pressure.

But seriously it is hard to find flaws with his motor skills and mechanics. As another poster said he is very fluid.

If he is a player he will be the savior of BC's job. Lets hope that his motor takes him to the top.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been on the Jonas bandwangon since he won MVP of the u18 tourney the summer after we drafted him. I just love his game. works hard on defense and runs the floor/cuts through the middle so well. You notice that he never brings the ball lower than his head, makes it really hard for him to be stripped by smaller players.

You don't see this in his highlights but he is a capable defender against smaller players on the drive and in the open floor(in the clip you only see blocks), but he is able to challenge/contain/harry smaller players without fouling (I've even seen him pick the occasional pocket). Not sure he'll be able to defend on the perimeter or open court in the NBA right away, but in a year or two he will be a very versatile player on the defense end, I'm looking forward to seeing how Casey uses him in traps/presses.

It a bare minimum we are looking at a player who has a ton of energy and works hard on every possession, is a +plus rebounder and +plus defender.

In terms of offense he's going to be an efficient scorer who doesn't need touches to get points, scoring primarily on putbacks, in transition, and cuts/rolling to the basket. And the fact that he's an 80%+ ft shooter and he's is not going to be a liability on the offensive end either.

The big question for JV is whether his is going to add the bulk that will let him be able to bang with the big bodies, although he has good footwork, rookies often get into foul trouble and JV is susceptible to this, especially before he adds the 20lbs of muscle we all expect him to add.

I do think that JV has all-star potential, but he's going to have to add a baseline Jumper (the Rasho, as I like to call it) and and elbow jumper. Based on his success from the free throw line he should be able to add those in fairly easily.

As much as JV has the potential to be a good to great 2 way player I would remind everyone that it is still potential, and I'm not expecting much out of JV in his rookie season, although I'd put my money on JV over AD if I had to guess who was going to be ROY.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take that bet..though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else won. AD is going to be great but unless he gets fed the ball on O and/or leads the league in blocks and top 10 in rebounds, neither of them will win RoY. Voters usually give it to a scorer since they think they make more of an impact on the game.

I don't expect JV to get the eye-catching numbers required for RoY and I will not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. I imagine (and hope) he'll get at least one Rookie of the Month award though, for whatever that is worth.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if JV turns into a bust can everyone agree Colangelo needs to be fired?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

JV could be a bust and the Raptors could still improve considerably and become a winning club.
    If that happened (long shot at best) then BC does not need to be fired.

JV could be a star and the Raptors could remain a losing club.
    If that happened, then BC would need to be replaced after the team option next year (between 2013-14 and 2014-15 season).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly confident in saying that the odds of JV becoming a bust are slim to none.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kennay wrote: View Post
    Ye he didn't jump too high from what I saw..

Post Thanks / Like

His long arms help offset that. Besides, the Raptors don't need him to hit his head on the rim or goaltend shots like JaVale McGee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm fairly confident in saying that the odds of JV becoming a bust are slim to none.
    +1

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    His long arms help offset that. Besides, the Raptors don't need him to hit his head on the rim or goaltend shots like JaVale McGee.
    hahaha ;D yes indeed

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I've been thinking about this since someone mentioned once again how his floor is often set at Joakim Noah. It's always easier to think of floors (Noah, Chandler) because they are guys who lack talents. It's much harder to think of ceiling comparisons, especially for JV in this day's NBA. So what do you guys think is a decent comparison from any period?

The best comparison I can come up with for a best-case that still resembles his skill set and body type: David Robinson. Not sure he'll be the scorer Robinson was, especially in the first half of his career, but I see a lot of similarities in their games. Great defenders. Good length. Good motor. Fluid athletes, and both lean. I don't know how big JV gets, but I don't know if he'll ever get "clumsy" big. Variety of offensive skills. Good p'n'r players. JV's range already looks like it'll cap out at the FT line, which is about the same as Robinson.

Raptors Republic Rookie big red's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if Jonas was a surprise pick, but really the concensus was that it was a great pick and that he's gotten a lot better since the 2011 draft. If you're going to fire Bryco for making what is universally considered to be a fantastic draft selection that eventually didn't pan out, then you'd better be calling for the heads of every other jouralist, analyst, and fan out there.

Hell, now that I'm thinking back on it, the only questionable pick Colangelo has made based on the prevailing opinions of the time would be this year's selection of Terrence Ross. And even then I wasn't enthralled with any of the other options left by the time the 8th spot came up. Say what you want about his other team management skills, but his drafting has always been fairly solid, even if some didn't work out they way everybody expected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information