Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: who will have most positive impact on Raptors BIG V or TROSS?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    No, I think Ross was drafted to push DeMar a little harder at the 2 spot. No consistency or step-up from DeMar this season and he'll likely be gonzo next summer. JMO!
    I would agree to that, however Casey said he will be a sixth man in the likes of James Harden.. Whether or not he is better than Demar, I see him coming off the bench.

I really believe the biggest impact will be Big V. Just because of his ability as a defensive anchor. He's a mobile and athletic big who can run with the best, great leaping ability, good help defense awareness, and very good rebounding. The guy has a strong motor just as Terrence Ross, but I feel Jonas has the edge in terms of his athletic ability at that size.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Its tough call here....I see TROSS at first and that only because I havent seen any action BIGV in action and no very little about him. After reading all the comments here....I can see that this can go either way.

The openning game of the season....VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of TRoss comparisons to Eddie Jones, Jason Richardson and others etc.
    Any comparisons here for JV? Any similar trajactory to other players
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
    I've heard of TRoss comparisons to Eddie Jones, Jason Richardson and others etc.
    Any comparisons here for JV? Any similar trajactory to other players
    JV is a unique player in my mind, apparently his basement is a Joakim Noah.. His ceiling is very high, and I don't have a player in mind that's playing right now, that looks like JV... Right now he looks like a Mcgee, in terms of playing and where he is at right now.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate the Mcgee comparison JV has a higher iq is less raw than mcgee, but JV is not nearly as athletic as Mcgee (but realistically who is?) the only similarity between them is that they both have long wingspans...

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite the Big-man adjustment period. I think Jonas will be all set to come in and play decently. He's gonna foul a lot but that's a part of learning the game.

I say Jonas because he'll likely play more minutes than Ross this year. The Terrossic period starts when Derozan gets shipped for someone.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh god don't compare him to McGee. There are probably no similarities in their games other than JV has decent size and length.

I have a really hard time thinking of a JV comparison for his ceiling, but I'm going to throw this out there: David Robinson.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I think JV will have the most positive impact over Ross because he addresses a need much more than Ross. Ross may be a good shooter, but he doesn't bring enough to ensure he'll get minutes over Demar, Fields and Kleiza, not to mention what are sure to be very occasional small lineups with Lowry and Calderon. JV is pretty much guaranteed 20 or so minutes a night if he doesn't foul.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

As the day progresses...the balance is moving towards JV over ROSS.

I hope that both JV and Ross have enough of a positive impact that we regain our Vince Era glamour in addition to our new players... Can't wait for the starting tipoff of the Season.

Peace

Muhammad Ali

Post Thanks / Like

Neither of them will be the superstar VC was and neither will sell tickets on the road or make the Raptors relevant to the casual American basketball fan like he did in his electrifying prime. Though that shouldn't be what anyone is aiming for....I just saw VC era glamour and had to comment. I'll take his 2nd round playoffs glamour though (though first round playoff glamour is pretty much the best case scenario).

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who will contribute most this year? Terrence Ross.

Who will contribute more ever their career? Jonas Valanciunas.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
    I hope this wasnt already discussed....if yes, my apologies in advance.

With all the hype with BIG V and lots of positive feedback on TROSS (TREX)....which one will have most positive impact on Raptors who will challenge for Rookie of the year or closest thing to it? Trex or Bigv

I'm going with TROSS on this one. This because I havent seen anything of BIG V.

Regardless we have some good rookie level talent and I see good things happening this coming season.

Peace

"Demar will be on the All-Star Ballot this year - watch for it"

I stopped reading when you called Terrence Ross *"TREX"
    LOL so dumb.*I couldn't take it seriously after that.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Considering their respective competition for minutes, I can see Jonas (battling Gray) playing significantly more minutes than Ross (battling DeRozan). That alone might give Jonas the edge.
    This is a good point.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV because he has been playing against tougher (physically and skilled) competition for the last 2-3 years..... and the competition was grown men. Never underestimate old man strength.

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    JV because he has been playing against tougher (physically and skilled) competition for the last 2-3 years..... and the competition was grown men. Never underestimate old man strength.
    +1

I think the best case scenario for Jonas will be a Rubio style impact. The only downside is the potential for fouls. Either way, I'm still not a Ross promoter as of yet. I've seen some highlight clips, but I'm more interested to see what he can do against faster, stronger, smarter opponents. JV, on the other hand, might respond well to the speed of the game, he seems ready for it.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Considering their respective competition for minutes, I can see Jonas (battling Gray) playing significantly more minutes than Ross (battling DeRozan). That alone might give Jonas the edge.
    This is the key point .. you are generous to use the term "battling" for Gray. JV will be starting and getting lots of minutes .. the only thing that will govern his ability to stay on the floor will be his own fouling.

I really, really like what I see out of Ross .. but I think this one is pretty easy for now .. JV will have a MUCH greater impact this year. Hopefully down the road as well .. but if JV does bust (or bust on a relative basis) .. then Ross could overtake him in the coming years.

Post Thanks / Like

two questions, I don't watch a lot of international ball, aside from as many Lietvus Rytas games as I could find links for when I had the time.

Is there some reason everyone thinks Jonas will foul out a lot?

Does the euroleague call that end a lot differently? From what I saw they seem to let their bigs be more physical

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BRAIN SCAN on TROSS & BIG V

I highly recommend that Raptors implement Brain Imaging / Scans next year during the pre-draft to determine which player they should select.

Performing analytic processes on college players prior to draft will provide stats based on performances and other physical capabilities etc. The interview will provide general understand of the player via his responses…but you can go further and determine other matters though Brian Scans with more accurate results.

I.e. Accurate neuroimaging correlates data to personality, attitudes, and intelligence …you can also determine illness or concussion history and various other traits etc.

Only concern here would be of privacy and misuse of information. I’d like to perform one on:

TROSS
    BIG V
    World Peace
    Kobe
    LeBra n
    Denis Rodman
    Jordan
    Nash

Is there a issue here in incorporating this into the screening process on Future NBA Ready players?

Muhammad Ali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I was going to say Ross easily, but this is a good point. We'll see.

I still think flying V is going to be in foul trouble pretty much every game.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to the first game with the Knicks and the Chandler-JV matchup (btw also because of Fields). This because I feel that at least starting out JV resembles Chandler in many ways...size, body type, agility, inside game, PnR, setting picks, leadership. JV has a bit of a shot unlike Chandler and will only get better at it and I believe is faster up/down the court at this stage. It shall be a good test and also in the "meanness" dept.

On the question itself, unless JV has a hard time acclimatizing to the NBA, he shall have the larger impact on the Raptor fortunes the coming season. He shall have a hand in many more impactful game situations than a Ross position would ...and more often.

Thread Information