No announcement yet.

No Love for Raptors in Summer League Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just that there is no love for the Raptors Summer League squad theres no love for the Raptors plain and simple. Came across this power ranking of the 2012-2013 season on Realgm by Jonathan Stjarks. I'm not familiar with his work, but to think that with our current roster that anyone would rank us 26th in the league below teams like New Orleans and Phoenix seems harsh. Not sure if I'm just being a homer, but I would think with the off season moves and with the addition of two top 10 lottery picks we'd be ranked higher.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article...Power_Rankings

Comment

Jonathan Tjarks is one of my favorites. What he writes isn't that bad though.

26) Toronto Raptors -- They are going to have almost an entirely new team this season, as Kyle Lowry, Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross will have a chance to form a Big Three of their own up north. Since Chris Bosh’s departure, the Raptors have been one of the most brutal teams in the NBA, but things are finally pointed in the right direction.
      New Orleans has two top 10 picks coming in as well, one of which was the consensus nr 1 pick and have Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, so being one place above us doesn't look that weird. Phoenix lost Nash (and Hill), but have Scola, Dragic and Beasley coming while they still have Gortat. Not saying they'll end up above the Raptors, but I don't think the odds are against them.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        T Ross will destroy Lamb and rivers for years to come
        +1

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          Jonathan Tjarks is one of my favorites. What he writes isn't that bad though.

New Orleans has two top 10 picks coming in as well, one of which was the consensus nr 1 pick and have Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, so being one place above us doesn't look that weird. Phoenix lost Nash (and Hill), but have Scola, Dragic and Beasley coming while they still have Gortat. Not saying they'll end up above the Raptors, but I don't think the odds are against them.
          Respectfully I don't see it that way. We finished tied with Golden State for 7th worst record in the 2011-2012 season. This power ranking would indicate we got worse this off season.

If there was a contract handed out that was worse than Fields it would be Ryan Andersons. $9 million a season for Ryan Anderson? Don't get me wrong those max contracts handed out to the likes of Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert were bad, but at least you can make an argument for the worth solid, young centres in the league.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Respectfully I don't see it that way. We finished tied with Golden State for 7th worst record in the 2011-2012 season. This power ranking would indicate we got worse this off season.

If there was a contract handed out that was worse than Fields it would be Ryan Andersons. $9 million a season for Ryan Anderson? Don't get me wrong those max contracts handed out to the likes of Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert were bad, but at least you can make an argument for the worth solid, young centres in the league.
            It's going to be funny watching Anderson's numbers disintegrate the moment he loses Howard's double-team magnet.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              It's going to be funny watching Anderson's numbers disintegrate the moment he loses Howard's double-team magnet.
              Exactly what I was thinking

Comment

Most of the teams around below and around us last year will be better as well. E.g.

-Washington - veteran upgrade will compete for a playoff spot;
                -Cleveland - internal development (Irving/Thomas) + new high picks (4 & 17) and big for the wins, Varejao might be healthy. Depening on how the development will go, they might be just above or below us.
                -Brooklyn - will compete for homecourt?
                -Golden State - tanked like hell at the end of the season, distorted record. With a semi healthy Bogut enough to end above us.
                -New Orleans - improved clearly, will be close.

The WP-guys think Anderson is a bargain ... But I'm not into WP, so I doubt he'll produce like he did last year. If he comes close however he'll have a postive impact on the Hornets (and might not be (much) overpaid)).

Comment

In the play-offs he had some brutal games, but I read an analysis of his game with and without Howard on the court last year, and it wasn't that bad. Might be more brutal to see Davis play center in his rookie year for them.

Comment

You can't look at the Raptor's moves in a vacuum. Other teams arguably got better as well. At this time of year its hard to predict what will happen, but 26th is still plausible. We upgraded our PG, but we were never really weak there. Then we have upgraded our roster with rookies which may not pan out.

The biggest key in my opinion is that we have a full training camp with Casey, a healthy Bargnani (hopefully), and a better version of both Davis and DeMar (assuming neither regress). But we still don't have legitimate talent that can close out games (I'm hoping Lowry can be that guy, but I'm skeptical).

26th seems harsh, but a lot of teams improved. Of the teams ranked higher than Toronto in that article, I think that Toronto could conceivably have a better record than Orlando (if Howard is gone, but they may have a good head start), Washington (looks okay on paper, but not so sure about Wall yet), Milwaukee (is Jennings/Ellis any better than Curry/Ellis), Phoenix (now that Nash is gone), Cleveland (assuming they don't get Bynum), and NO (relying on rookies, and an often injured Gordon). So when its all said and done, I think Toronto will be in the 20-26 range. I am hoping for the playoffs, but it'll be a struggle to get there.

Comment

I beleive it's referred to, as being Kapono-ed

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        Most of the teams around below and around us last year will be better as well. E.g.

-Washington - veteran upgrade will compete for a playoff spot;
                        -Cleveland - internal development (Irving/Thomas) + new high picks (4 & 17) and big for the wins, Varejao might be healthy. Depening on how the development will go, they might be just above or below us.
                        -Brooklyn - will compete for homecourt?
                        -Golden State - tanked like hell at the end of the season, distorted record. With a semi healthy Bogut enough to end above us.
                        -New Orleans - improved clearly, will be close.

The WP-guys think Anderson is a bargain ... But I'm not into WP, so I doubt he'll produce like he did last year. If he comes close however he'll have a postive impact on the Hornets (and might not be (much) overpaid)).
                        LOL, well there goes my optimism for making a playoff run this season. I'm hoping that having what should be a deep bench this season can compensate for lack of All Star starters and we can prove people wrong this year.

Comment

LOL, well there goes my optimism for making a playoff run this season. I'm hoping that having what should be a deep bench this season can compensate for lack of All Star starters and we can prove people wrong this year.
                          Yes, me too. I really have no clue where we stand. Going anywhere from say 16th to 29th seems possible (to me) right now.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            You can't look at the Raptor's moves in a vacuum. Other teams arguably got better as well. At this time of year its hard to predict what will happen, but 26th is still plausible. We upgraded our PG, but we were never really weak there. Then we have upgraded our roster with rookies which may not pan out.

The biggest key in my opinion is that we have a full training camp with Casey, a healthy Bargnani (hopefully), and a better version of both Davis and DeMar (assuming neither regress). But we still don't have legitimate talent that can close out games (I'm hoping Lowry can be that guy, but I'm skeptical).

26th seems harsh, but a lot of teams improved. Of the teams ranked higher than Toronto in that article, I think that Toronto could conceivably have a better record than Orlando (if Howard is gone, but they may have a good head start), Washington (looks okay on paper, but not so sure about Wall yet), Milwaukee (is Jennings/Ellis any better than Curry/Ellis), Phoenix (now that Nash is gone), Cleveland (assuming they don't get Bynum), and NO (relying on rookies, and an often injured Gordon). So when its all said and done, I think Toronto will be in the 20-26 range. I am hoping for the playoffs, but it'll be a struggle to get there.
                            Guess I was being a homer after all.

The think I like about our team is that this season even if one of our key players goes down with injury we have a deep enough bench to sustain it. We have quality players at most positions and unlike last season if Bargs goes down our offense should still be okay:
                            Lowry/Calderon
                            DeMar/Ross
                            Fields/Kleiza
                            Bargnani/Ed (with another year in his belt should be ready to take over if needed)
                            JV/Amir (capable)

Comment

Working...
                            X