Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nikos Pappas

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why this thread even exists. I'll get to it right after I figure out why I'm reading it...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    So he's a wing and would be behind Gay, DeRozan, Ross, Fields, and possibly Anderson on the depth chart in training camp.

Color me excited...

I don't understand why but there is almost always an active thread about a "young talent" the Raptors should acquire/take a look at who would be nothing but an end-of-bench or "DNP - Coach's Decision" on this board. In my opinion, we do not need more Kris Joseph talent-type players if we want to move forward.
    Check out the date of the post Hug, July 2012, training camp last summer, prior to the Gay, Fields, Anderson signings. Also, Ross was untested yet as a Raptor. You are right though we are set at the wing position for now.
    We need bigs, and hopefully the Bargniani for Boozer trade rumor happens.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    So he's a wing and would be behind Gay, DeRozan, Ross, Fields, and possibly Anderson on the depth chart in training camp.

Color me excited...

I don't understand why but there is almost always an active thread about a "young talent" the Raptors should acquire/take a look at who would be nothing but an end-of-bench or "DNP - Coach's Decision" on this board. In my opinion, we do not need more Kris Joseph talent-type players if we want to move forward.
    It would take about 2 days in training camp for Pappas to be first over all of those players on the depth chart. Sorry, but this guy is far better than any of those players. Anderson played in Europe for years, and even at his prime he was not half as good as Pappas is already.

Also, Pappas isn't a wing anyway. He's a combo guard.

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pappas should stay in Greece and become a Greek god. He has the potential to be a poor man's Manu you say? Manu, who at 35 with many injuries through his lengthy career, has more hops than the 22 year old Pappas. Pappas is more like Blake Steppe or Andy Rautins, good players, just not NBA good, imo.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Pappas should stay in Greece and become a Greek god. He has the potential to be a poor man's Manu you say? Manu, who at 35 with many injuries through his lengthy career, has more hops than the 22 year old Pappas. Pappas is more like Blake Steppe or Andy Rautins, good players, just not NBA good, imo.
    Those players were scrubs in Europe. Pappas is already one of the best players in Europe. You should not be comparing guys that were scrubs in Europe to one of the best players in Europe. That's just illogical.

And I never mentioned Manu in this thread and never compared him to Pappas. But since you bring it up and imply that the current Manu is better than Pappas............I laugh.

The current Manu is not even in close to as good as the current Pappas is. Manu can barely even play anymore, and Pappas is an unstoppable scorer.

Don't even joke about comparing Pappas to 35 year old Manu. That's an insult to Pappas.
    Last edited by Basilis; Sat Feb 9th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    The current Manu is not even in close to as good as the current Pappas is. Manu can barely even play anymore, and Pappas is an unstoppable scorer.

Don't even joke about comparing Pappas to 35 year old Manu. That's an insult to Pappas.
    Manu, who is currently injured, is having a good year playing in 40 games so far. 21.12 PER is nothing to sneeze at and not a joke. That's 19th in the NBA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Manu and Pappas will only be mentioned in the same breath on a forum like this. I will take your word that Pappas is a great European player. But I have to ask you this question: has there ever been a Greek player that has been an impact player in the NBA? It will happen some day I'm sure but I am skeptical about Pappas' athletic ability judging from those youtube clips. I look forward to seeing him in the next world championship.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Those players were scrubs in Europe. Pappas is already one of the best players in Europe. You should not be comparing guys that were scrubs in Europe to one of the best players in Europe. That's just illogical.

And I never mentioned Manu in this thread and never compared him to Pappas. But since you bring it up and imply that the current Manu is better than Pappas............I laugh.

Dude Manu Ginobilli is a HOF. Shut up with this Pappas BS, this guy is D League trash compared to Manu. Don't even compare the two until this Pappas dude comes to the nba and proves that he belongs. Till then don't even mention the two in the same breath
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Manu, who is currently injured, is having a good year playing in 40 games so far. 21.12 PER is nothing to sneeze at and not a joke. That's 19th in the NBA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Manu and Pappas will only be mentioned in the same breath on a forum like this. I will take your word that Pappas is a great European player. But I have to ask you this question: has there ever been a Greek player that has been an impact player in the NBA? It will happen some day I'm sure but I am skeptical about Pappas' athletic ability judging from those youtube clips. I look forward to seeing him in the next world championship.

Rasho Nesterovic

Kurt Rambis

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Kostas Koufos

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

All of those Greek players had an impact in the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Rasho Nesterovic

Kurt Rambis

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Kostas Koufos

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

Peja is from Serbia isn't he?
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And Nesterovic is Slovenian.

Lol someone is deluding themselves with national pride
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Rambis was born in Indiana...

Rony Seikaly is Lebanese born-American

and Marko Jaric is Serbian.

You have as many Serbian players as Greek players on a list describing Greek players.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake Tsakalidis is from Georgia.

My statement stands: there hasn't been a Greek born and bred player that has been anything more than a bench warmer for one season in the NBA..... so far.

Efthimios Rentzias, one season and 35 games,
    Antonis Fotsis, one season and 28 games,
    Andreas Glyniadakis, one season and 13 games,
    Vassilis Spanoulis, one season and 31 games

Post Thanks / Like

Rasho Nesterovic

Kurt Rambis

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Kostas Koufos

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

Get your ass outta here. None of them are greek players

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rasho Nesterovic

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

Every single player listed there lived in Greece as kids, has Greek citizenship, played in Greek youth systems and then onto Greek pro ball.

Rambis also has Greek citizenship and he did play in Greece BEFORE HE PLAYED IN NBA.

Some people in this thread are being extremely rude, xenophobic, and ridiculous.
    Last edited by Basilis; Thu Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jake Tsakalidis is from Georgia.

My statement stands: there hasn't been a Greek born and bred player that has been anything more than a bench warmer for one season in the NBA..... so far.

Efthimios Rentzias, one season and 35 games,
    Antonis Fotsis, one season and 28 games,
    Andreas Glyniadakis, one season and 13 games,
    Vassilis Spanoulis, one season and 31 games
    Rony Seikaly was raised in Greece. He spent his entire athletic and basketball development in Greece. Seikaly himself states that he is a Greek.
    Last edited by Basilis; Thu Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Peja is from Serbia isn't he?
    Peja lives in Greece, has Greek citizenship, speaks Greek, served in Greek government, is married to a Greek, has Greek kids (were born in Greece), has lived in Greece since age 15.
    Last edited by Basilis; Thu Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Peja lives in Greece, has Greek citizenship, speaks Greek, served in Greek government, is married to a Greek, has Greek kids (were born in Greece), has lived in Greece since age 15.
    That's nice, but that doesn't change the fact that he's Serbian

18. Like Sig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rasho Nesterovic

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

Every single player listed there lived in Greece as kids, has Greek citizenship, played in Greek youth systems and then onto Greek pro ball.

Rambis also has Greek citizenship and he did play in Greece BEFORE HE PLAYED IN NBA.

Some people in this thread are being extremely rude, xenophobic, and ridiculous.
    Oops, sorry for being rude, xenophobic, and ridiculous. Didn't think the TRUTH would be so offensive. Who knows what you were trying to prove about Greek players anyways?!

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy watching the Greek National team in international competition. High IQ team. They pulled off one of the great FIBA upsets beating Wade, LeBron and company in 2006. Spanoulis is a great international point guard. As for the original topic, I can't get excited by NP's NBA potential based totally on watching those youtube highlights.
    Last edited by stretch; Sat Feb 23rd, 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nationalism here we go!

*Common in Europe
    #FREE

Thread Information