View Poll Results: Where do you think Calderon will be come training camp?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starting for the Raptors

2 4.08%
  • On the bench for the Raptors

43 87.76%
  • With another team

4 8.16%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where do you think Calderon will be come training camp?

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I realise that we needed an upgrade at pg and like the Lowry trade but nevertheless, I really like Calderon. He is a true professional and a solid pg. I hope he sticks around for 1 more season. Our 2nd unit will be killer.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Given Gordon's injury history and Calderon's shooting ability, he would be great insurance and he would also play very well off the ball with Gordon (in the unlikely event he remains healthy!).
    An insurance of over 11 million (which only partially covers the damage as they absolutely need Gordon to do any damage at all this year). If they'd want a guard to play off ball with Gordon, they'd probably go with someone who can shoot and defend (and those can be had much cheaper) instead of paying about 9 of the 11 million for his playmaking abilities to have him play off-bal.

If the Hornets still had any contracts they wanted to get rid of, they might have an interest, but they already got rid of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    An insurance of over 11 million (which only partially covers the damage as they absolutely need Gordon to do any damage at all this year). If they'd want a guard to play off ball with Gordon, they'd probably go with someone who can shoot and defend (and those can be had much cheaper) instead of paying about 9 of the 11 million for his playmaking abilities to have him play off-bal.

If the Hornets still had any contracts they wanted to get rid of, they might have an interest, but they already got rid of those.
    He does still remain a large expiring contract come trade deadline.

Williams is a phenomenal defensive coach - much like Casey - who could devise a system to play to Jose's strengths (or mask his weaknesses).

Assuming he was a player NOH might want longer term (doubt he is) they could sign him to a much more reasonable extension.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

He does still remain a large expiring contract come trade deadline.

Williams is a phenomenal defensive coach - much like Casey - who could devise a system to play to Jose's strengths (or mask his weaknesses).

Assuming he was a player NOH might want longer term (doubt he is) they could sign him to a much more reasonable extension.
    With their salaries, can't they just absorp a (bad) contract if they wanted to without needing to send back contacts? Don't really know how that stuff works.

Regardless, I'd think there would be more need for logic on the court for them to have an interest which would involve sending back any assets. Maybe they're interested for a second round pick, but that'll be about it.

Raptors Republic Rookie northgrantballer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dallas trade talk, where art thou?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote northgrantballer wrote: View Post
    Dallas trade talk, where art thou?
    Dallas was all about getting him via amnesty - especially after the Collison trade.

The only way the Mavs can get him is to trade Marion and from a Raptor perspective that would be horrible.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dallas was all about getting him via amnesty - especially after the Collison trade.

The only way the Mavs can get him is to trade Marion and from a Raptor perspective that would be horrible.
    The Matrix way past his prime?! Horrible? Matt you're on bath salts! #sarcasm

Anything happening with Jose IMO comes at deadline, but him suring up the second unit, & being a true professional, it also seems unlikely..

Damn all these smokescreens! BC and Casey are doing a good job at hiding things..

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see them giving him away for nothing at the trade deadline as JLIII as a backup would be a pretty large drop off. But that depends on if they are actually fighting for a playoff spot I imagine, along with what players are available by deadline time.

I have always liked Jose as a Raptor and I would not be disappointed to see him back with a new contract that would suit a 30 yr old backup pg. But I don't blame his agent for trying to get him out of T.O. and into a better situation where he can produce more and be paid accordingly. This is his last shot at a long term deal and even the biggest BC critic here could not imagine the Raptors giving him one in Toronto.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    I can't see them giving him away for nothing at the trade deadline as JLIII as a backup would be a pretty large drop off. But that depends on if they are actually fighting for a playoff spot I imagine, along with what players are available by deadline time.

I have always liked Jose as a Raptor and I would not be disappointed to see him back with a new contract that would suit a 30 yr old backup pg. But I don't blame his agent for trying to get him out of T.O. and into a better situation where he can produce more and be paid accordingly. This is his last shot at a long term deal and even the biggest BC critic here could not imagine the Raptors giving him one in Toronto.
    I feel his best deal where he'll get great playing time/good money is in Toronto..

I've scanned through all the teams, and with the new breed of athletic, scoring, quick, defensive point guards, he seems to be either a starter for a very, VERY talented team like Miami (where pay would be very minimum there). OR, off the bench, because the only teams I look at without great/high potential point guards, are Orlando and Utah. Orlando most likely going into rebuild, not wanting to take up cap for a 30 year old, and Utah seems like the only candidate where he would start and get money.

I just feel if he wants the best of both worlds, Toronto would be likely be the place... He'd still get a good amount of money, good amount of playing time, and be leader on a young team. Sounds good to me if that were the pitch. Maybe not 10$ million, but 3-4$ million sounds reasonable to me.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    ...I just feel if he wants the best of both worlds, Toronto would be likely be the place... He'd still get a good amount of money, good amount of playing time, and be leader on a young team. Sounds good to me if that were the pitch. Maybe not 10$ million, but 3-4$ million sounds reasonable to me.
    I like this train of thought. Makes sense for JC as well, unless all he cares about is the ring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information