Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think Calderon will be come training camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that video is amazing
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      that video is amazing
      Jose gains that much more respect from me, not that it means shit lol.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Colangelo should e-mail this video to the 29 other GMs in the league first thing tomorrow morning...

Comment

Jose Calderon Trade Destinations

Just read this and thought I would share:

http://o.canada.com/2012/07/24/jose-...-destinations/

Philadelphia 76ers

Andre Iguodala has been on the block for a while and the Sixers loaded up on wings this summer, picking up Moe Harkless, Nick Young and Dorell Wright. Iguodala was linked into the Raptors in a rumour that would send Jose Calderon and DeMar DeRozan to Philadelphia, however GM Rod Thorn denied it.

The Sixers lost Lou Williams to the Atlanta Hawks and don’t have a capable backup for Jrue Holiday. DeMar DeRozan also is heading into a contract year and the Raptors invested their 2012 8th overall selection in Terrence Ross, who he does serve as insurance in case DeRozan gets moved in a trade.

This is a deal that could possibly be revisited during the trade deadline depending how the first half of the 2012-13 season plays out.
          New Orleans Hornets

The Hornets are trying to convert Austin Rivers into a point guard and their efforts have been met with mixed results. Rivers is a gifted scorer in isolation situations, however struggles to create for others. He has primarily played shooting guard over his career and switching to a new position at the NBA level is no easy task. The point guard position is the hardest position to learn in the league.

The only Hornet capable of playing point is Greivis Vasquez, who was a pleasant surprise last season, but is more of a combo-guard. With scorers like Eric Gordon and athletes like Anthony Davis, Jose Calderon would be the perfect distributor for the Hornets.

A possible trade would involve Brad Miller’s non-guaranteed contract, cap hit of only $848,000 if waived prior to July 30, and salary filler like Xavier Henry, who has been a large disappointment since he step foot into the NBA.

The pieces coming back are not going to improve the team on the court, but by waiving Miller’s guaranteed portion of his contract, the Raptors can create cap room to sign another free agent. They would receive immediate cap savings of over $7 million with this trade.

Andrei Kirilenko has announced his intentions of playing in the NBA next season, and despite his age, he would be an upgrade over the current batch of small forwards in Toronto.
          San Antonio Spurs

Like the Mavericks, Heat and the Lakers, the Spurs did have interest in Calderon, but only if he was waived through the amnesty provision. The deadline has passed however a deal could still be had.

Despite signing French combo-guard Nando De Colo, the Spurs are still looking for a point guard to play behind Tony Parker. They were seriously interested in Bo McCalebb, a star in Macedonia and the Euroleague, but due to his buyout, the team can’t sign him.

A possible trade would involve Stephen Jackson, who is included for salary matching purposes, and Pickering, Ont. native Cory Joseph, who the Raptors were targeting at the 2011 NBA Draft. Joseph has played very well in the NBDL last season and earned All-Star honours for his strong performance at the 2012 Las Vegas Summer League.

Jackson’s disruptive attitude would be a cause for concern, but the team could always handle him the way the Chicago Bulls handled Tim Thomas during the 2005-06 regular season. Sending him home would give him more time to work on his rap career.

Worst case scenario, the Raptors can just waive him or try to move him to a third team. His expiring contract would be very useful during the trade deadline.
          Cleveland Cavaliers

The Cavaliers have not replaced Sessions’ vacant spot since he was moved to the Lakers this past season. Calderon for Omri Casspi and Luke Walton works under the trade rules.

Casspi, despites his struggles last season in Cleveland, has shot 37 percent from the three-point line in his first two seasons at Sacramento. Dwane Casey has routinely emphasized the need for having shooters in his offense and Casspi figures to be a good fit.

Walton is trade filler and he is on the last year of his contract. His expiring contract could be used as part of a bigger package during the trade deadline.
          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

zulfi wrote: View Post
            Colangelo should e-mail this video to the 29 other GMs in the league first thing tomorrow morning...
            This made me laugh out loud...in a good way lol.

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
            Welcome my friend. Nice to have you here.
            Thanks! Its great to be part of the discussions here.

Comment

Hornets makes a lot of sense, actually. Never thought of them.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I voted that he'll be here as a back up come training camp, but I do think that if he can get through the olympics healthy, and plays well that will increase his chances of being moved before camp. With his history I can imagine a few GM's would like to wait and see.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I don't think the Hornets make that much sense. If they play a real pointguard that wouldn't play into Gordon's strengths. Gordon is at his best being the ball handler in the pick and roll. I think that's why they are experimenting with Rivers as a point guard; he'll probably bring the ball up but be the secondary ballhandler after that.

Comment

I see Calderon going to the Knicks. They always implode at some point in the season and feel the media pressure to overreact with a trade or something. Calderon is a perfect fit for that lineup - low usage, dead-eye shooter who can pick & roll with Chandler and Amare. Hopefully, we can squeeze a way in the future first rounder out of them.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      I don't think the Hornets make that much sense. If they play a real pointguard that wouldn't play into Gordon's strengths. Gordon is at his best being the ball handler in the pick and roll. I think that's why they are experimenting with Rivers as a point guard; he'll probably bring the ball up but be the secondary ballhandler after that.
                      Given Gordon's injury history and Calderon's shooting ability, he would be great insurance and he would also play very well off the ball with Gordon (in the unlikely event he remains healthy!).

Comment

I realise that we needed an upgrade at pg and like the Lowry trade but nevertheless, I really like Calderon. He is a true professional and a solid pg. I hope he sticks around for 1 more season. Our 2nd unit will be killer.
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Given Gordon's injury history and Calderon's shooting ability, he would be great insurance and he would also play very well off the ball with Gordon (in the unlikely event he remains healthy!).
                          An insurance of over 11 million (which only partially covers the damage as they absolutely need Gordon to do any damage at all this year). If they'd want a guard to play off ball with Gordon, they'd probably go with someone who can shoot and defend (and those can be had much cheaper) instead of paying about 9 of the 11 million for his playmaking abilities to have him play off-bal.

If the Hornets still had any contracts they wanted to get rid of, they might have an interest, but they already got rid of those.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            An insurance of over 11 million (which only partially covers the damage as they absolutely need Gordon to do any damage at all this year). If they'd want a guard to play off ball with Gordon, they'd probably go with someone who can shoot and defend (and those can be had much cheaper) instead of paying about 9 of the 11 million for his playmaking abilities to have him play off-bal.

If the Hornets still had any contracts they wanted to get rid of, they might have an interest, but they already got rid of those.
                            He does still remain a large expiring contract come trade deadline.

Williams is a phenomenal defensive coach - much like Casey - who could devise a system to play to Jose's strengths (or mask his weaknesses).

Assuming he was a player NOH might want longer term (doubt he is) they could sign him to a much more reasonable extension.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              He does still remain a large expiring contract come trade deadline.

Williams is a phenomenal defensive coach - much like Casey - who could devise a system to play to Jose's strengths (or mask his weaknesses).

Assuming he was a player NOH might want longer term (doubt he is) they could sign him to a much more reasonable extension.
                              With their salaries, can't they just absorp a (bad) contract if they wanted to without needing to send back contacts? Don't really know how that stuff works.

Regardless, I'd think there would be more need for logic on the court for them to have an interest which would involve sending back any assets. Maybe they're interested for a second round pick, but that'll be about it.

Comment

Dallas trade talk, where art thou?

Comment

Working...
                                X