Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think Calderon will be come training camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calderon will be the backup point guard this season baring a crazy trade offer from another team - he is in a contract year which means he has to play well to get paid next year. As of now the raptors have the strongest point guard duo in the league (no back up will be better than calderon) why would BC trade that away unless it was for something crazy like AI

Comment

he will be a Raptor this season for the entire season....we will resign him when the year is out to a 4 year 20 million dollar deal.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        he will be a Raptor this season for the entire season....we will resign him when the year is out to a 4 year 20 million dollar deal.
        I think Jose ends up in Europe after this year. I think he can get close to $5M per in Europe and can be a guaranteed starter over there. He'd get more in sponsors then he would get here as well.

With regards to this poll question though, my spidey senses think he's back as a backup. His contract, even though expiring, is too much for a team to take on at the beginning of the season. He also has a 10% trade kicker I believe.

Lowry will get the start.. you don't make a high profile trade like that in the off season and not start the guy you get.. That would be career suicide for the GM/coach.

Comment

It isn't in his best interest to be a back up in a contract year. He would probably stay but his handlers probably want different. I think he has been a great for the raptors in his time here so I hope he gets moved so he can showcase himself. Hopefully him and Spain will do well so he gets more exposure. Might trigger a deal post Olympics if he gets though them healthy.

It is a shame his contract was "too high" these last few years and has been basically shit on by raptor fans as a result because he always left everything on the court every game.

Comment

Numbers

His performance at the Olympics will play a factor in this question.
            They want him shipped ASAP but not for nothing.

I think he will remain a Raptor Until the deadline
            It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

I think Calderon will be with the Raptors unless part of trade for Iiguodala.
              It seems to me over the past 2-3 years the Raptors even with 2 good point guards still were struggling at that position because of injuries. So it is never a good idea to be too thin at this position.

Comment

Book it,he will blow a hamestring in London.

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                  His performance at the Olympics will play a factor in this question.
                  They want him shipped ASAP but not for nothing.

I think he will remain a Raptor Until the deadline
                  Not entirely true.

I think they would trade him for nothing i.e. no contract coming back.

I don't think they want to take back any money unless it is part of a deal for a star SF.

Comment

On the bench playing 18-24 minutes a game where he can (hopefully) run the pick and roll with JV against second unit bigs for the first half of the season.

Also, this is my first post...loooooong time reader, but decided to limit to reading till now. So yeah, looking forward to this!

Comment

Looks like BC is in no hurry to trade him even though there are offers on the table. This is understandable because he's in a "nothing to lose" position. I mean, if he doesn't trade him at all he has a starting caliber back up PG and he'll come of the books at the end of the season. If he does trade him, he will do so only if he gets what he wants. A good position to be in actually. I have a feeling that he'll wait and do something at the trade dead line.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Quito wrote: View Post
                        On the bench playing 18-24 minutes a game where he can (hopefully) run the pick and roll with JV against second unit bigs for the first half of the season.

Also, this is my first post...loooooong time reader, but decided to limit to reading till now. So yeah, looking forward to this!
                        Welcome my friend. Nice to have you here.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          I'm not a fan of the "make it a competition and see who grabs it" idea. Often in that case, you have to choose one guy, so you do. He does all right but when he inevitably has a bad run, you turn to the other guy. He does well, then he falters. These guys have been around too long (Calderon more so) to do that. It would be great if they're both around but if that's the case, I hope Bryan and Dwayne have a good idea in their minds as to how to use them and that they can communicate it to the players.
                          I think you misunderstood me. I think they went to the media saying Lowry would be the starter to diffuse any notions that Lowry might have (because he already had a history of being annoyed by not being the starter in Houston). Meanwhile, Jose gets mad. The best strategy is to go into the camp telling both that they will each get a lot of minutes, and have them compete. 100% of the time with coach Casey's requirements, Lowry will end up the starter.

But you've diffused the situation for Jose because instead of thinking "Aw fack it all, these bastards again have tried to replace me and they put in some dude that wasn't even a starter in Houston!", now instead he's thinking "Well, fair is fair he played better than me and deserves it, but gee golly willickers if he gets hurt or anything, I'm gonna step up and play real good. Real good!"

I think Calderon comes off the bench a lot more willingly if Lowry proved to be better than if you give it to Lowry outright.

Again, I'll emphasize that regardless of what is said, Lowry is 100% the starter.
                          Last edited by ebrian; Tue Jul 24, 2012, 03:00 PM.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Toronto. Better question is where will he be after the trade deadline.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think unless the Raptors actually get something worthwhile for him, they won't trade him just for the sake of trading (à la Barbosa - for "flexibility").

Comment

Damn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8yo0byGM4

Comment

Working...
                                X