Where the Raptors will finish in the east

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the Raptors will finish in the east

Since the rosters seem mostly settled, it's plausible (if maybe a little premature, still) to start forecasting how the east playoff race might look, and have an idea of where the Raptors are going to fit into it. Here's my take, with some comments:

1. Heat -- will be even better than last year. Runaway number 1. +8
    2. Nets -- Have a pretty firm ceiling, but the team will have good synergy and has definitely the 2nd best set of starters in the east. +5

3. Celtics -- Lee and Terry will be an upgrade over Allen. They have huge downside if Garnett has knee troubles. +3.5
    4. Pacers -- Could easily finish ahead of the Celtics, but I don't think they will catch the nets. Gap between them and the next bunch. +3.5

5. Magic -- This is assuming Howard plays for them, at his usual level. If they trade him in the summer, they go to mid-lottery probably, and whoever gets him (hopefully in the west) shoots way up.+2

6. Raptors -- This is assuming Lowry plays very very well, Valanciunas plays as an above-average centre, and that Bargnani continues to play at the level he did before his injuries last year. But it's also assuming DeRozan continues to not be very good. It has more downside than upside potential. +1.5

7. Bulls -- This is assuming Rose has basically no impact on the regular season. I wouldn't be very surprised if they finished better than the Raptors or Magic. +0.5
    8. Knicks -- I wouldn't actually be very surprised if they're worse than this. This is assuming Carmelo and Stoudemire can play together at an above average level, which I actually doubt. +0

Lottery:
    9. Hawks -- Losing Johnson for nothing will hurt a lot. -.5
    10. Bucks -- Still very average. Will be better if Waiters is actually a stud in his first year, but I think he will shoot bad.-.5
    11. Wizards -- This is assuming Wall continues to suck. If he starts to be good, they could make the playoffs. -1
    12. 76ers -- Lost brand, have a terrible, terrible frontcourt. Upside is if Hawes plays like he did at the beginning of last season. -2
    13. Pistons -- I don't like anybody on their team aside from Monroe. -4
    14. Cavaliers -- At least they'll get another good draft pick. -6
    15. Bobcats -- Their team is still unbelievably awful. -10

1. Heat
    2. Pacers
    3. Celtics
    4. Knicks
    5. Nets
    6. Sixers
    7. Bulls
    8. Hawks
    9. Bucks
    10. Wizards
    11. Raptors
    12. Cavaliers
    13. Pistons
    14. Magic (obviously I'm going with Dwight being gone)
    15. Bobcats

Don't get me wrong I think Raptors will improve, but they're still not a playoff team and they'll probably miss out on playoffs by about 4 or 5 games, and 10-13 in East could be as close as 2 or 3 games.

Comment

1.Heat (better than last year)
      2.Celtics (assuming everyone stays healthy)
      3.Nets
      4.Pacers
      5.Knicks
      6.Sixers
      7.Raptors
      8.Bulls (rose comes back in march)

We are better than the rest of the east as Washinton will take time to acclimate (nene and okafor play same position), atlanta has no scoring, orlando will lose dwight, clevland has no scoring other than kyrie (waiters is combo guard who will struggle in rookie year)

Comment

1. Heat
        2. Celtics
        3. Pacers
        4. Magic (with Howard)
        5. Knicks
        6. Nets
        7. Sixers
        8. Bucks
        9. Raptors
        10. Bulls
        11. Hawks
        12. Wizards
        13. Cavs
        14. Bobcats
        15. Pistons

Will probably get a lot of crap for my #10, but this is just my opinion. Also, losing Ben Gordon is a huge blow to the Pistons, which is why they recieved a last-place finish from me.
        Last edited by isaacthompson; Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:03 PM.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          1. Heat
          2. Celtics
          3. Pacers
          4. Magic (with Howard)
          5. Knicks
          6. Nets
          7. Sixers
          8. Bucks
          9. Raptors
          10. Bulls
          11. Hawks
          12. Wizards
          13. Cavs
          14. Bobcats
          15. Pistons

Will prbably get a lot of crap for my #10, but this is just my opinion
          Bucks wont make playoffs - they have no center and 3 powerforwards with limited offensive games and 2 point guards who score and hog the ball

Comment

Lots of love for the Knicks.. they are a very medicore bunch, and now won't have Linsanity to help get them into the playoffs. I think they will struggle.

For the Raps, the homer in me says 7th. The realist in me says 9 or 10.

Here is my East rankings:

1. Heat - will be tough to beat.
            2. Pacers - better than Bulls without Rose, so will win division
            3. Celtics - old so will lose games but will finish high
            4. Bulls - even without Rose will do well
            5. Nets - will have a so-so season if everyone is healthy
            6. Sixers - get here based on defense alone
            7. Hawks- no JJ, but team will rally without him (plus still have Smith/Horford/Teague)
            8. Wizards - not so impressed by their acquisitions but they have a nice mix of veterans and youth (without the dysfunction)
            9. Knicks - Felton/Kidd will be a disaster. Shumpert is their best perimeter defender, and will be gone until January probably.
            10. Raptors - hoping for better, but can't see them getting into the playoffs yet.
            11. Bucks - Not sure I like the Jennings/Ellis combo. Ilyasova has his contract now so will probably regress.
            12. Magic - Howard will help them get a good record in the beginning, and then will fall when the dysfunction hits
            13. Cavs - After Irving don't see much. This will change if they get Bynum though.
            14. Pistons - still a crappy team. Drummond will be a bust.
            15. Bobcats - Will be better than last year - doesn't really say much though.

Comment

1.Heat
              2.Nets
              3.Knicks
              4.Pacers
              5.Celtics
              6.Bulls
              7.Raptors
              8.Wizards
              9.Hawks
              10.Bucks
              11.Magic
              12.Sixers
              13.Pistons
              14.Cavs
              15.Bobcats

No explanations needed..book it!

Comment

Premature thread. Great one for October.

But I'll play along:

1. Heat
                2. Pacers
                3. Celtics
                4. Nets
                5. Knicks
                6. Bulls
                7. Hawks
                8. Raptors
                9. Bucks
                10. Sixers
                11. Wizards
                12. Pistons
                13. Cavs (injuries)
                14. Bobcats
                15. Magic

Comment

1. Heat - Once Allen and Lewis get adjusted to the new team the Heat will be crushing teams by 20+ on the regular
                  2. Pacers
                  3. Celtics
                  4. Wizards - Wall finally has some players to dish to in the post as well as perimeter
                  5. New York - Way too much talent and now with both Felton and Kidd
                  6. Nets - Great backcourt, but their frontcourt and bench is going to suck...again. Max contract for Brook Lopez LOL!
                  7. Chicago - Still has coach Thib's
                  8. Atlanta/Milwaukee/ Toronto

Comment

I don't think the Raptors make the playoffs this year, unless Lowry, JV and Ross exceed expectations. The play of those three with the improvement Bargs and the potential improvement of DD might move us into last playoff spot, but I can't see them making 6th above the Bulls or the Knicks.

Comment

Why does everyone think the bulls will make the playoffs - even if they have their coach - they lost Asik, they lost rose, their bench has been gutted (only taj remains) - who will score for them - they will be the raptors from last year - good defence but absolutely no Offense

Comment

Ill play your silly little game...

1. Heat
                        2. Pacers
                        3. Celtics (healthy)
                        4. Knicks
                        5. Nets
                        6. Atlanta
                        7. Bulls
                        8. Philly/Washington/ Raps
                        11. Milwaukee
                        12. Orlando
                        13. Cleveland
                        14. Detroit
                        15. Charlotte

Prediction: The 7-10 seeds will flip flop for the entire month ofAPRIL
                        Thanks ebrian
                        Last edited by SitnonDfence; Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:37 PM. Reason: Brain Fart

Comment

1. Miami
                          2. Boston
                          3. Indiana
                          4. Chicago
                          5. Brooklyn
                          6. Atlanta
                          7. New York
                          8. Orlando - assuming Howard gone by the deadline
                          9. Milwaukee
                          10. Toronto
                          11. Philadelphia
                          12. Washington
                          13. Cleveland
                          14. Charlotte
                          15. Detroit
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
                            Why does everyone think the bulls will make the playoffs - even if they have their coach - they lost Asik, they lost rose, their bench has been gutted (only taj remains) - who will score for them - they will be the raptors from last year - good defence but absolutely no Offense
                            I agree completely. The reason I put them as #10 is because they lost almost their whole bench to free agency this summer. Both their backup point guards are gone, Brewer is gone, Asik is gone, Korver is goneand they won't have Rose for 3/4 of the season. Sure they got Hinrich and Marquis Teague as the back up, but who knows how good he'll be. a team can't win with just a starting lineup, surely all of you know this
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post

When compiling my list i found myself putting them out of the playoffs, but just couldnt do it...Just doesnt seem right. Heinrich is a very capable guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X