Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Where the Raptors will finish in the east

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Great link! Thanks for posting!

Very interesting to see what Rockets' fans think about our chances to get into the playoffs.

They say pretty much the same things that we say, but it is interesting that 2-3 of their posters thought that Toronto could be one of the most improved teams in the league, or that we might be one of the surprising teams, in terms of doing well. However, I think they would peg an overachieving raptors team as a 7th seed as the ceiling.

1) Heat

2) Celtics
    3) Pacers

4) Nets
    5) Knicks
    6) Hawks

7) 76ers

8) Magic (This is assuming that Dwight isn't traded until the deadline)
    9) Bulls
    10) Raptors
    11) Pistons
    12) Bucks
    13) Wizards

14) Cavs

15)Charlotte
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Jul 25th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

1. Heat (duh)
    2. Pacers (continue to grow internally, valuable playoff exp)
    3. Bulls (still a good team without Rose, somehow believe they can be a top team)
    4. Celtics (around what they were last year)
    5. Knicks (full training camp and practice sched. under Woodson will do wonders, better bench)
    6. Nets (not as good as everyone on here has them pegged--need a dominant big)
    7. 76ers (Doug Collins - enough said)
    8. Hawks (the loss of Johnson was eased by some saavy, under the radar moves)
    9. Raptors (stone cold pimps, could easily be in the 7 or 8 spot, staying healthy is the key)
    10. Wizards (this is John Wall's year to shine)
    11. Bucks (If Ersan goes off, they will be better than this...but he might not get a touch all year with jennings and ellis at G)
    12. Orlando (Howard is gone by start of season)
    13. Cleveland (Dion Waiters was not the right choice, they will wait another year---but Bynum makes them a playoff team)
    14. Detroit (will continue to suck until Tayhaun's contract is up)
    15. Charlotte (might surprise people...by winning 15 games. MKG needs teamates before his impact is truly shown)

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nets at #2 and the Knicks at #3 seems to be the most realistic? Indiana finished with the third best record last year and didn't lose any of their key players, so not sure why they couldn't repeat or do better now that Chicago is without Rose.

Lots of love for the Nets from posters, but besides D. Will, JJ and Wallace, there isn't much talent there. Lopez is pretty solid, but is a poor rebounder for his size. Their bench is void of talent with the exception of Marshon Brooks.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on the Nets. They'll no doubt be improved compared to last season, but I don't see them as a top 4 seed.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would the Knicks be 3rd? They finished SEVENTH last year. Before Linsanity broke out, their record was 8-15. 8-15! Not only that, Landry Fields played the second most minutes for them, and they are replacing him with Ronnie Brewer, who is a good defender but cannot spread the floor even a little. Without Lin, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs, and they won't have him this year...

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree. I don't think the Knicks will finish that high. I was responding to someone elses post that thought they would finish that high. They have a tonne of talent, but no chemistry.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote malefax wrote: View Post
    Why would the Knicks be 3rd? They finished SEVENTH last year. Before Linsanity broke out, their record was 8-15. 8-15! Not only that, Landry Fields played the second most minutes for them, and they are replacing him with Ronnie Brewer, who is a good defender but cannot spread the floor even a little. Without Lin, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs, and they won't have him this year...
    Ya Fields' 25% 3pt percentage was really spreading the floor for the Knicks. What ever will they do now.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

along with the emergence of Lin came Steve Novak, who can shoot threes like no other in the league. that was spreading the floor for other players during Linsanity
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed on the Nets. They'll no doubt be improved compared to last season, but I don't see them as a top 4 seed.
    After Miami, it's hard to tell much about the 2nd tier teams. Indiana should be in there with Boston but there's a lot of uncertainty after those three teams (for me anyway). The Nets are basically a brand new team. The Knicks have lots of names but I am not sure the roster works. The Bulls could be fine without Rose but they could also fall apart with an injury or two. 76ers and Hawks won't be bad but they also have pretty firm ceilings.

As for the Raps, I think you're going to need 41+ wins to get in to the playoffs. Can't see this team winning that many games.
    9th place?

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    along with the emergence of Lin came Steve Novak, who can shoot threes like no other in the league. that was spreading the floor for other players during Linsanity
    "Landry Fields played the second most minutes for them, and they are replacing him with Ronnie Brewer, who is a good defender but cannot spread the floor even a little."

What part of that had anything to do with Lin or Novak?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    "Landry Fields played the second most minutes for them, and they are replacing him with Ronnie Brewer, who is a good defender but cannot spread the floor even a little."

What part of that had anything to do with Lin or Novak?
    I wasn't implying about the defensive part, I was talking about the spreading the floor that you mentioned
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote malefax wrote: View Post
    They also went 12-5 after Lin got hurt. 8-15 with Mike D'Antoni. 12-5 with Mike Woodson and No Lin.

Right now this team is on the Mike Woodson and No Lin side. Look, even if you take the average that's a 0.500 team. 0.500 record in the East is a playoff berth.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote alex_elstone wrote: View Post
    \Did the 76ers go to Eurobasket?
    Wow whats wrong with me. Goodness, 76ers' ahead of Orlando.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Nets at #2 and the Knicks at #3 seems to be the most realistic? Indiana finished with the third best record last year and didn't lose any of their key players, so not sure why they couldn't repeat or do better now that Chicago is without Rose.

Lots of love for the Nets from posters, but besides D. Will, JJ and Wallace, there isn't much talent there. Lopez is pretty solid, but is a poor rebounder for his size. Their bench is void of talent with the exception of Marshon Brooks.
    Humphries can also contribute for the Nets and Brooks should lead the 2nd unit. They got Evans, Bogans and Watson who are fairly solid backups. You have 4 potential 20pt scorers and rebounders and interior defenders in evans and humpries.

The knicks have two contrasting PGs which i think will be to their advantage. Kidd can open up defenses with his 3s and Felton can open the perimeter with his slashing. i think they'll be deadlier now that they have a pass-first PG in Kidd, who can dish to shooters Novak and JR. Melo, Amare and Chandler are pretty much self explanatory.

Indiana was able to climb up last season due to the fact that the two teams i just mentioned didnt have the players that they have now. Indiana is solid, I dont think Mahinmi will make a big impact as much as the new players that the Knicks and Nets will have on their teams.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1.Heat-best in the east and got better
    2.Celtics - pickup of terry/lee is an improvement (could drop if garnett is banged up)
    3.Pacers - continued growth will keep them top tier
    4.Bulls - if rose is healthy
    5.Nets - team is better, but not top 4, still has weak points
    6. Cavaliers - going to take a huge step forward (again if players are healthy)
    7. Raptors
    8.Magic- if howard stays, should sneak in
    9.Bucks
    10.Hawks - regressing
    11.Wizards - should be improved, had a solid draft
    12.Knicks - going to drop, team is an older version of itself from 3 years ago, let promising young players go for nothing
    13. Sixers - taking steps back
    14.Pistons - a mess
    15.Bobcats- continue to ride the caboose of the su

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Team that should waltz to first in the conference:
    1. Heat

Teams that are locks to make the playoffs:
    2. Pacers: excellent depth, solid at every position
    3. Celtics: nice mix of youth and experience

Teams that should make the playoffs, but are one key injury away from dropping out:
    4. Bulls: weaker bench, the loss of Rose is huge, but they've got experience, good coaching, and chemistry, which is more that 5-15 have.
    5. Nets: The Heat have shown us that a few superstars can make up for a complete lack of depth. The Knicks have shown us that a few not-quite-superstars won't overcome a lack of depth. Nets are closer to the Knicks than the Heat in terms of team composition.
    6. Knicks: Will improve on last year if everyone stays healthy (might be a lot to ask), but I still don't see them having any on-court chemistry. Just an awful mix of players.

Teams that will not finish with top four seeding, but could be in the mix for a playoff spot:
    7. Raptors: A full season of Bargnani, plus the additions of Lowry and Valanciunas might be just enough to make the playoffs.
    8. Magic: There's skill there, but I think the Howard sideshow hampers them all season long. The sooner they can move him and be done with it, the better.
    9. Wizards: I love their offseason, but it'll take some time. I'd expect them to be in the bottom three by all-star break, but have a strong second-half.
    10. Cavs: player growth will be solid, but not outstanding.
    11. Hawks: They're going to drop, the question is how far.
    12. Sixers: They did very little to improve compared to other teams.
    13. Bucks: Not a good offseason, as much as I like them keeping Ilyasova.

Teams that will be in tank mode by the all-star break:
    14. Pistons: I think this will be the low point in their rebuild.
    15. Bobcats: Maybe this is their year... to win the lottery.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming, Dwight doesn't get traded, the only change to the playoff teams will be New Jersey replacing Philly and that's it.

There really, wasn't a lot of major change in the east. Atlanta, didn't regress merely treading water. Chicago, will still overachieve, simply because of their style of play. Orlando with Dwight is still a 6-8 seed...unless their drama shit really hits the fan...
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Rookie knowledgep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Miami
    2. Indiana
    3. Boston
    4. New Jersey
    5. New York
    6. Philadelphia
    7. Toronto
    8. Atlanta
    9. Orlando
    10. Chicago
    11. Cleveland
    12. Washington
    13. Milwaukee
    14. Detroit
    15. Charlotte

Onions Baby Onions!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1.Miami
    2.Boston
    3.Indiana
    4.New Jersey
    5.Toronto
    6.New York
    7.Chicago
    8.Washington

Toronto has all the making of a top 5 team in a very weak conference!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We will definitely make the playoffs as long as we can stay healthy, especially Bargs.

1. Miami
    2. Indiana
    3. Boston
    4. Brooklyn
    5. New York
    6. Chicago
    7. Toronto
    8. Milwaukee

I can see the Raps clinging on to the 8th seed or dropping out of the playoffs if we suffer any key injuries.
    And this is assuming Demar doesn't improve, Calderon not being traded, Bargs playing around 60 games and us not making any major transactions.

Thread Information