• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team that should waltz to first in the conference:
    1. Heat

Teams that are locks to make the playoffs:
    2. Pacers: excellent depth, solid at every position
    3. Celtics: nice mix of youth and experience

Teams that should make the playoffs, but are one key injury away from dropping out:
    4. Bulls: weaker bench, the loss of Rose is huge, but they've got experience, good coaching, and chemistry, which is more that 5-15 have.
    5. Nets: The Heat have shown us that a few superstars can make up for a complete lack of depth. The Knicks have shown us that a few not-quite-superstars won't overcome a lack of depth. Nets are closer to the Knicks than the Heat in terms of team composition.
    6. Knicks: Will improve on last year if everyone stays healthy (might be a lot to ask), but I still don't see them having any on-court chemistry. Just an awful mix of players.

Teams that will not finish with top four seeding, but could be in the mix for a playoff spot:
    7. Raptors: A full season of Bargnani, plus the additions of Lowry and Valanciunas might be just enough to make the playoffs.
    8. Magic: There's skill there, but I think the Howard sideshow hampers them all season long. The sooner they can move him and be done with it, the better.
    9. Wizards: I love their offseason, but it'll take some time. I'd expect them to be in the bottom three by all-star break, but have a strong second-half.
    10. Cavs: player growth will be solid, but not outstanding.
    11. Hawks: They're going to drop, the question is how far.
    12. Sixers: They did very little to improve compared to other teams.
    13. Bucks: Not a good offseason, as much as I like them keeping Ilyasova.

Teams that will be in tank mode by the all-star break:
    14. Pistons: I think this will be the low point in their rebuild.
    15. Bobcats: Maybe this is their year... to win the lottery.

Comment

Assuming, Dwight doesn't get traded, the only change to the playoff teams will be New Jersey replacing Philly and that's it.

There really, wasn't a lot of major change in the east. Atlanta, didn't regress merely treading water. Chicago, will still overachieve, simply because of their style of play. Orlando with Dwight is still a 6-8 seed...unless their drama shit really hits the fan...
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

1. Miami
        2. Indiana
        3. Boston
        4. New Jersey
        5. New York
        6. Philadelphia
        7. Toronto
        8. Atlanta
        9. Orlando
        10. Chicago
        11. Cleveland
        12. Washington
        13. Milwaukee
        14. Detroit
        15. Charlotte

Onions Baby Onions!!!!

Comment

1.Miami
          2.Boston
          3.Indiana
          4.New Jersey
          5.Toronto
          6.New York
          7.Chicago
          8.Washington

Toronto has all the making of a top 5 team in a very weak conference!!!!

Comment

We will definitely make the playoffs as long as we can stay healthy, especially Bargs.

1. Miami
            2. Indiana
            3. Boston
            4. Brooklyn
            5. New York
            6. Chicago
            7. Toronto
            8. Milwaukee

I can see the Raps clinging on to the 8th seed or dropping out of the playoffs if we suffer any key injuries.
            And this is assuming Demar doesn't improve, Calderon not being traded, Bargs playing around 60 games and us not making any major transactions.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
              Humphries can also contribute for the Nets and Brooks should lead the 2nd unit. They got Evans, Bogans and Watson who are fairly solid backups. You have 4 potential 20pt scorers and rebounders and interior defenders in evans and humpries.

The knicks have two contrasting PGs which i think will be to their advantage. Kidd can open up defenses with his 3s and Felton can open the perimeter with his slashing. i think they'll be deadlier now that they have a pass-first PG in Kidd, who can dish to shooters Novak and JR. Melo, Amare and Chandler are pretty much self explanatory.

Indiana was able to climb up last season due to the fact that the two teams i just mentioned didnt have the players that they have now. Indiana is solid, I dont think Mahinmi will make a big impact as much as the new players that the Knicks and Nets will have on their teams.
              D. Will, Hump, Wallace and Brooks were on the team last season, so essentially you feel that the addition of Evans, Bogans, Watson and J. Johnson are enough to bring them from one of the worst teams last year to the second best in the East? I don't agree, but I guess we'll see how the season unfolds.

Same with the Knicks. It's the exact same disfunctional team but they've added Felton and Kidd. Not sure if that one change is enough to make them a drastically better team.

Indiana is one of the most complete and balanced teams in the league and imo they will be right there at the top of the east standings by end of the year.

Comment

I'm surprised at all the love for Chicago. Theyve lost their best player/former MVP in rose. The only reason they did good without him was because of the bench mob. They had one of the best benches in the league and now only Gibson is left. They replaced rose with Hinrich and deng will likely miss significant time with his wrist. Not to mention they've already said if they're not in playoff contention they'll let rose rest the whole season. I just don't see them anywhere near the playoffs this year

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                  I'm surprised at all the love for Chicago. Theyve lost their best player/former MVP in rose. The only reason they did good without him was because of the bench mob. They had one of the best benches in the league and now only Gibson is left. They replaced rose with Hinrich and deng will likely miss significant time with his wrist. Not to mention they've already said if they're not in playoff contention they'll let rose rest the whole season. I just don't see them anywhere near the playoffs this year
                  We could potentially see a Spurs-esque tank job by Chicago this season...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    We could potentially see a Spurs-esque tank job by Chicago this season...
                    That's what I was thinking. The only way they could make it more obvious they were trying to tank is if they sign alabi and resign scalabrine

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                      That's what I was thinking. The only way they could make it more obvious they were trying to tank is if they sign alabi and resign scalabrine
                      It's fine with me. One less playoff team from last year to compete with

Comment

Sheptor wrote: View Post
                        1.Heat
                        2.Nets
                        3.Knicks
                        4.Pacers
                        5.Celtics
                        6.Bulls
                        7.Raptors
                        8.Wizards
                        9.Hawks
                        10.Bucks
                        11.Magic
                        12.Sixers
                        13.Pistons
                        14.Cavs
                        15.Bobcats

No explanations needed..book it!
                        This is exactly how I had it pictured. Except I'd switch the Nets to 4 with the Pacers going number 2.

Comment

I have a lot of optimism for this team next season, but, the East has gotten considerably more relevant and stronger compared to the last couple years...

Quite surprised no one realized there are at LEAST 10 teams looking for that playoff spot.. There never used to be the depth before as it is now.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Premature thread. Great one for October.
                            I'm sure this could be done monthly, starting now until April, and still get 5+ pages of posts.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Anyone care to take another stab? Been a couple of minor changes.... yes, sarcasm.

Here is Stephen Brotherston's take at HoopsWorld.com:

1. Miami HEAT, 46-20 last season

2. Indiana Pacers, 42-24 last season

3. Boston Celtics, 39-27 last season

4. Chicago Bulls, 50-16 last season

5. Brooklyn Nets, 22-44 last season

6. Atlanta Hawks, 40-26 last season

7. New York Knicks, 36-30 last season

8. Toronto Raptors, 23-43 last season

Key Additions: Kyle Lowry, John Lucas III, Landry Fields
                              Key Subtractions: Jerryd Bayless, James Johnson, Gary Forbes
                              Key Draft Additions: Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross

Kyle Lowry won the starting point guard spot in Houston two seasons ago and has since earned a reputation as a tough, fearless guard who can score off the dribble or from deep range while being able to defend his own position without help. Much of the optimism in Toronto revolves around what Lowry brings to the Raptors. Lowry allows Raptors head coach Dwane Casey to move Jose Calderon to the second unit and Lucas finally gives the Raptors a third-string point guard who can start if necessary.

Where Jonas Valanciunas represents the future for Toronto big men and is expected to have a strong rookie campaign, the Raptors will be counting on a healthy Andrea Bargnani to carry much of the scoring load and continue the elevated level of play witnessed prior to his injury last season.

Toronto has evolved into a good defensive unit under Casey, but they will face tough competition for eighth this season and another injury to Bargnani or a point guard controversy between Lowry and Calderon could easily derail the Raptors’ season. However, if this group gels and everything stays together, there will likely be a postseason appearance for Toronto in April.

9. Philadelphia 76ers, 35-31 last season

10. Milwaukee Bucks, 31-35 last season

11. Washington Wizards, 20-46 last season

12. Orlando Magic, 37-29 last season

13. Detroit Pistons, 25-41 last season

14. Cleveland Cavaliers, 21-45 last season

15. Charlotte Bobcats, 7-59 last season

http://www.hoopsworld.com/lets-rank-...rn-conference/

Comment

1.Heat
                                2.Pacers
                                3.Knicks
                                4.Celtics
                                5.Nets
                                6/7.Raptors
                                6/7.Sixers
                                8.Hawks
                                9.Wizards
                                10.Bucks
                                11.Bulls
                                12.Pistons
                                13.Cavs
                                14.Magic
                                15.Bobcats

Im trying not to lie to myself but I think we are a much better team than anyone thinks I can't see any of the teams below 7th doing better than us

Comment

Working...
                                X